Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > dual-boot (XP,x64) with RAID 0

dual-boot (XP,x64) with RAID 0

=?Utf-8?B?YnRr?=

Dear All,

I'm currently running "Windows XP" on a (x64 compatible) Dell computer with
2 scsi hard drives (same size) in a RAID 0 (striping) setup. I would like to
setup dual-boot and install "Windows x64" to try it out (I've downloaded the
x64 drivers from Dell). My system has no partitians and I would prefer to
stick with my RAID 0 setup (for speed) vs. disabling it and installing
"Windows x64" on a drive by itself.

I would appreciate any of your suggestions concerning the best way to go
about setting this up. Can I create a partition to hold "Windows XP" without
losing it? Then can I setup the partion for "Windows x64" while I'm
installing it. Would you create 2 large partitions only? Or would it be
better to place each o/s in smaller partitions by themselves (siggested
sizes) and have separate "32bit" and "64bit" (not many!) program file
partitions?

Thanks for your help!

Charlie Russel - MVP

any of the many partitioning software solutions should allow you to shrink
your existing raid 0 partition down to make room for another partition.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ has a solution that has been well reviewed
here by several folks.

But first, some due diligence. I realize that striping is somewhat faster
than non-striping, but you _do_ realize that you not only don't have any
redundancy, you have actually _increased_ your risk of catastrophic failure
and data loss?

So, personally, I would create 4 partitions: 32-bit, 64-bit, programs, and
data. And I would do some manipulating and management to force 32-bit
software to install in "Program Files(x86)" even when installing it into
32-bit windows. Those that won't let you do that, I'd let install into the
32-bit OS partition.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

btk wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm currently running "Windows XP" on a (x64 compatible) Dell
> computer with 2 scsi hard drives (same size) in a RAID 0 (striping)
> setup. I would like to setup dual-boot and install "Windows x64" to
> try it out (I've downloaded the x64 drivers from Dell). My system has
> no partitians and I would prefer to stick with my RAID 0 setup (for
> speed) vs. disabling it and installing "Windows x64" on a drive by
> itself.
>
> I would appreciate any of your suggestions concerning the best way to
> go about setting this up. Can I create a partition to hold "Windows
> XP" without losing it? Then can I setup the partion for "Windows x64"
> while I'm installing it. Would you create 2 large partitions only? Or
> would it be better to place each o/s in smaller partitions by
> themselves (siggested sizes) and have separate "32bit" and "64bit"
> (not many!) program file partitions?
>
> Thanks for your help!

Andre Da Costa

It really depends on what you plan on doing with OS. Right now, drivers and
software applications support are the big concern for many. I would
recommend you set up a partition for both XP x86 and XP Pro x64 of equal
size. Install XP x86 first then partition from their, then install XP Pro
x64 on the partition drive you created from with XP x86. Remember that the
latest version of Windows should be installed last.

You will then have the option when you boot of the XP Pro x64 CD during text
based setup to load your F6 Drivers for Harddisk to be supported by XP Pro
x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"btk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All,
>
> I'm currently running "Windows XP" on a (x64 compatible) Dell computer
> with
> 2 scsi hard drives (same size) in a RAID 0 (striping) setup. I would like
> setup dual-boot and install "Windows x64" to try it out (I've downloaded
> the
> x64 drivers from Dell). My system has no partitians and I would prefer to
> stick with my RAID 0 setup (for speed) vs. disabling it and installing
> "Windows x64" on a drive by itself.
>
> I would appreciate any of your suggestions concerning the best way to go
> about setting this up. Can I create a partition to hold "Windows XP"
> without
> losing it? Then can I setup the partion for "Windows x64" while I'm
> installing it. Would you create 2 large partitions only? Or would it be
> better to place each o/s in smaller partitions by themselves (siggested
> sizes) and have separate "32bit" and "64bit" (not many!) program file
> partitions?
>
> Thanks for your help!

=?Utf-8?B?YnRr?=

If I create 4 partitians as suggested... Would the 32-bit and 64-bit
partitians be Primary1, Primary2 and both referred to as C: drive? Or
Primary1 on C: and Primary2 on D:. What about the Programs and Data
partitians. Secondary1 on D: Secondary2 on E: etc.?

Thanks!

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> any of the many partitioning software solutions should allow you to shrink
> your existing raid 0 partition down to make room for another partition.
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ has a solution that has been well reviewed
> here by several folks.
>
> But first, some due diligence. I realize that striping is somewhat faster
> than non-striping, but you _do_ realize that you not only don't have any
> redundancy, you have actually _increased_ your risk of catastrophic failure
> and data loss?
>
> So, personally, I would create 4 partitions: 32-bit, 64-bit, programs, and
> data. And I would do some manipulating and management to force 32-bit
> software to install in "Program Files(x86)" even when installing it into
> 32-bit windows. Those that won't let you do that, I'd let install into the
> 32-bit OS partition.
>

> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> btk wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I'm currently running "Windows XP" on a (x64 compatible) Dell
> > computer with 2 scsi hard drives (same size) in a RAID 0 (striping)
> > setup. I would like to setup dual-boot and install "Windows x64" to
> > try it out (I've downloaded the x64 drivers from Dell). My system has
> > no partitians and I would prefer to stick with my RAID 0 setup (for
> > speed) vs. disabling it and installing "Windows x64" on a drive by
> > itself.
> >
> > I would appreciate any of your suggestions concerning the best way to
> > go about setting this up. Can I create a partition to hold "Windows
> > XP" without losing it? Then can I setup the partion for "Windows x64"
> > while I'm installing it. Would you create 2 large partitions only? Or
> > would it be better to place each o/s in smaller partitions by
> > themselves (siggested sizes) and have separate "32bit" and "64bit"
> > (not many!) program file partitions?
> >
> > Thanks for your help!

Charlie Russel - MVP

Your drive letters should be the same from both operating systems. You must
install 32-bit Windows first, so it would generally go on C:, which is
generally the primary partition 1. After that, you can install as you want.
My personal preference is to do all partitioning from the Windows text mode
installation, creating the 4 partitions there.Install 32-bit windows to C:,
create and format your other 3 partitions/volumes as D:, E: and F:, all
formatted as NTFS. (I generally kick the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive up to R:
drive, out of the way of everything else as one of my first acts when I get
the OS installed, and then do a quick regedit to re-point the source
directories to there.)

Once you have 32-bit installed, then install the x64 Edition, choosing the