Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hard drive failure/recovery

Hard drive failure/recovery

=?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=

I'm running xp home edition. I bought an extra 80gig hard drive a few months
back, filled it up and now can't access it at all. When I click on it I get
F:\is not accessible.
The parameter is incorrect.
I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

John Barnes

What is its status in Computer Management, Disk Management - What options do
you have when you right click on it there.

"BenP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running xp home edition. I bought an extra 80gig hard drive a few
> months
> back, filled it up and now can't access it at all. When I click on it I
> get
> F:\is not accessible.
> The parameter is incorrect.
> I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
> I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

Mark Gillespie

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:56:02 +0100, BenP <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I'm running xp home edition. I bought an extra 80gig hard drive a few
> months
> back, filled it up and now can't access it at all. When I click on it I
> get
> F:\is not accessible.
> The parameter is incorrect.
> I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
> I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

What type of filesystem? FAT32, NTFS?

you should be able to open a command prompt and type "chkdsk /r /f
driveletter:" e.g: "chkdsk /r /f c:"

Kevin Panzke

"BenP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running xp home edition. I bought an extra 80gig hard drive a few
> months
> back, filled it up and now can't access it at all. When I click on it I
> get
> F:\is not accessible.
> The parameter is incorrect.
> I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
> I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

Special Notice: This is the 64 Bit Windows Newsgroup (ex. Windows XP/2003
X64 Edition, Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, and the Microsoft 64 Bit OS's
for Intel Itanium Systems). Windows XP Home Edition is not a 64 Bit OS, so
your post is completely Off Topic to this Newsgroup. Please post your
question in the proper 32 Bit Windows XP Newsgroups.

P.S. I am now running Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, so I am no longer
Off Topic (just incase you happen to notice the newer version of Outlook
Express 6.0 that I am using).

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=

It doesn't really matter that this thread has been posted in the x64 section,
as it applies to all versions of XP anyway!

I hope you've been able to sort out the problems.

"Kevin Panzke" wrote:

> "BenP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm running xp home edition. I bought an extra 80gig hard drive a few
> > months
> > back, filled it up and now can't access it at all. When I click on it I
> > get
> > F:\is not accessible.
> > The parameter is incorrect.
> > I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
> > I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

> Special Notice: This is the 64 Bit Windows Newsgroup (ex. Windows XP/2003
> X64 Edition, Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, and the Microsoft 64 Bit OS's
> for Intel Itanium Systems). Windows XP Home Edition is not a 64 Bit OS, so
> your post is completely Off Topic to this Newsgroup. Please post your
> question in the proper 32 Bit Windows XP Newsgroups.
>
> P.S. I am now running Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, so I am no longer
> Off Topic (just incase you happen to notice the newer version of Outlook
> Express 6.0 that I am using).

Randy

Actually, the Itanium version of Windows isn't supported in this newsgroup,
and Vista (Longhorn) has it's own separate newsgroups ("WinFX"). This group
was created specifically for x64 versions -- Windows XP Pro and Windows 2003
Server, replacing the prior private newsgroup used for support of their Beta
versions.

"Kevin Panzke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "BenP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm running xp home edition. I bought an extra 80gig hard drive a few
> > months
> > back, filled it up and now can't access it at all. When I click on it I
> > get
> > F:\is not accessible.
> > The parameter is incorrect.
> > I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
> > I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

> Special Notice: This is the 64 Bit Windows Newsgroup (ex. Windows XP/2003
> X64 Edition, Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, and the Microsoft 64 Bit

OS's
> for Intel Itanium Systems). Windows XP Home Edition is not a 64 Bit OS,

so
> your post is completely Off Topic to this Newsgroup. Please post your
> question in the proper 32 Bit Windows XP Newsgroups.
>
> P.S. I am now running Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, so I am no longer
> Off Topic (just incase you happen to notice the newer version of Outlook
> Express 6.0 that I am using).

John Barnes

Actually it includes the Itanium version as per Microsoft personnel
previously. All 64-bit versions use this newsgroup.

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually, the Itanium version of Windows isn't supported in this
> newsgroup,
> and Vista (Longhorn) has it's own separate newsgroups ("WinFX"). This
> group
> was created specifically for x64 versions -- Windows XP Pro and Windows
> 2003
> Server, replacing the prior private newsgroup used for support of their
> Beta
> versions.
>
> "Kevin Panzke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "BenP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm running xp home edition. I bought an extra 80gig hard drive a few
>> > months
>> > back, filled it up and now can't access it at all. When I click on it I
>> > get
>> > F:\is not accessible.
>> > The parameter is incorrect.
>> > I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
>> > I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

>> Special Notice: This is the 64 Bit Windows Newsgroup (ex. Windows
>> XP/2003
>> X64 Edition, Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, and the Microsoft 64 Bit

> OS's
>> for Intel Itanium Systems). Windows XP Home Edition is not a 64 Bit OS,

> so
>> your post is completely Off Topic to this Newsgroup. Please post your
>> question in the proper 32 Bit Windows XP Newsgroups.
>>
>> P.S. I am now running Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, so I am no
>> longer
>> Off Topic (just incase you happen to notice the newer version of Outlook
>> Express 6.0 that I am using).

Randy

I saw no announcement to that effect anywhere, and doubt MS would gunk up an
already confused newsgroup dealing with two brand new RTM 64bit OSs by
adding in an entire new set of repeat questions from even glassier-eyed
newbies trying to deal with an even more primitive (early *beta*) 64bit
operating system. That is simply not their policy.

Please, feel free to post to any links from actual MS personnel (Darrell,
Mike, etc.; not mere MVPs) who have stated any such claims here or elsewhere
in the past. Googling the topic gave me no hits. No offense to MVPs; I just
want to see if this came from the horse's mouth per se.

Thanks. This could really get unpleasant if you're correct. I am *not* built
to handle such multitasking... :~P Two released, related operating systems,
even though they're the first of their kind, I can about handle. But toss in
another one (or two if you include x32 Vista) which is barely even available
for bug testing, to a tiny fraction of the geeky public, and I think we're
asking for troubles. Maybe not, maybe we can somehow make sense from the
chaos and make Vista's eventual launch that much smoother. I just don't see
that happening. Buggar...

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually it includes the Itanium version as per Microsoft personnel
> previously. All 64-bit versions use this newsgroup.
>

> "Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Actually, the Itanium version of Windows isn't supported in this
> > newsgroup,
> > and Vista (Longhorn) has it's own separate newsgroups ("WinFX"). This
> > group
> > was created specifically for x64 versions -- Windows XP Pro and Windows
> > 2003
> > Server, replacing the prior private newsgroup used for support of their
> > Beta
> > versions.
> >
> > "Kevin Panzke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> "BenP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Special Notice: This is the 64 Bit Windows Newsgroup (ex. Windows
> >> XP/2003
> >> X64 Edition, Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, and the Microsoft 64 Bit

> > OS's
> >> for Intel Itanium Systems). Windows XP Home Edition is not a 64 Bit

OS,
> > so
> >> your post is completely Off Topic to this Newsgroup. Please post your
> >> question in the proper 32 Bit Windows XP Newsgroups.
> >>
> >> P.S. I am now running Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, so I am no
> >> longer
> >> Off Topic (just incase you happen to notice the newer version of

Outlook
> >> Express 6.0 that I am using).

James Park

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please, feel free to post to any links from actual MS personnel (Darrell,
> Mike, etc.; not mere MVPs) who have stated any such claims here or
> elsewhere
> in the past. Googling the topic gave me no hits. No offense to MVPs; I
> just
> want to see if this came from the horse's mouth per se.

Check out:

Re: PTE address of IA64
7/11/2005 8:00AM
Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

I wouldn't worry too much about it getting crowded in here though. Itanium
threads rarely come up.

James Park