Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > *Dual* processor temperature software ?

*Dual* processor temperature software ?

NNBXX

Are there any software for this ? I've tried Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5)
and SpeedFan, but they seem to measure the temperature of only 1 processor
(CPU0), and not of both of them. My BIOS doesn't allow temperature
measurement (my computer is a Dell Precison 670 Workstation). Both
processors are activated in BIOS, and Windows XP x64 sees 4 processors
(Xeons EM64T with HT).

Thanks.

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

NNBXX wrote:

>Are there any software for this ? I've tried Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5)
>and SpeedFan, but they seem to measure the temperature of only 1 processor
>(CPU0), and not of both of them. My BIOS doesn't allow temperature
>measurement (my computer is a Dell Precison 670 Workstation). Both
>processors are activated in BIOS, and Windows XP x64 sees 4 processors
>(Xeons EM64T with HT).
>
>Thanks.

I'm sure MBM5 can measure the temperature of multiple CPUs, but only
measures one by default - you just need to configure it to monitor the
additional CPU.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Rick

Have you tried Everest? http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

NNBXX wrote:
> Are there any software for this ? I've tried Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5)
> and SpeedFan, but they seem to measure the temperature of only 1 processor
> (CPU0), and not of both of them. My BIOS doesn't allow temperature
> measurement (my computer is a Dell Precison 670 Workstation). Both
> processors are activated in BIOS, and Windows XP x64 sees 4 processors
> (Xeons EM64T with HT).
>
> Thanks.

NNBXX

I tried to do so, but I didn't succeed. How do you do that ?

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> NNBXX wrote:
>
>>Are there any software for this ? I've tried Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5)
>>and SpeedFan, but they seem to measure the temperature of only 1 processor
>>(CPU0), and not of both of them. My BIOS doesn't allow temperature
>>measurement (my computer is a Dell Precison 670 Workstation). Both
>>processors are activated in BIOS, and Windows XP x64 sees 4 processors
>>(Xeons EM64T with HT).
>>
>>Thanks.

> I'm sure MBM5 can measure the temperature of multiple CPUs, but only
> measures one by default - you just need to configure it to monitor the
> additional CPU.
>
> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

NNBXX

Yes, I tried Everest, which is a very good software. It *does* actually show
2 processors, but their temperatures appear to be 68C idle (for each CPU),
whereas MBM5 displays 48C is the same operating conditions (for the only
one CPU it seems to monitor). So what software should I trust ? I think 48C
idle is more likely to be the true value, even for Xeons (according to MBM5,
it can reach 67C in full charge, when performing 3D rendering, for
example).

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried Everest? http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
>

> NNBXX wrote:
>> Are there any software for this ? I've tried Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5)
>> and SpeedFan, but they seem to measure the temperature of only 1
>> processor (CPU0), and not of both of them. My BIOS doesn't allow
>> temperature measurement (my computer is a Dell Precison 670 Workstation).
>> Both processors are activated in BIOS, and Windows XP x64 sees 4
>> processors (Xeons EM64T with HT).
>>
>> Thanks.

Rick

You have an interesting observation. I have a MSI board with an Athlon
64 CPU and the temperature as reported by MSI CoreCenter and Everest are
exactly the same.

Does Dell, or Intel, have any software to provide CPU temperature that
you could compare with?

NNBXX wrote:
> Yes, I tried Everest, which is a very good software. It *does* actually show
> 2 processors, but their temperatures appear to be 68C idle (for each CPU),
> whereas MBM5 displays 48C is the same operating conditions (for the only
> one CPU it seems to monitor). So what software should I trust ? I think 48C
> idle is more likely to be the true value, even for Xeons (according to MBM5,
> it can reach 67C in full charge, when performing 3D rendering, for
> example).

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Have you tried Everest? http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
>>

>>NNBXX wrote:
>>
>>>Are there any software for this ? I've tried Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5)
>>>and SpeedFan, but they seem to measure the temperature of only 1
>>>processor (CPU0), and not of both of them. My BIOS doesn't allow
>>>temperature measurement (my computer is a Dell Precison 670 Workstation).
>>>Both processors are activated in BIOS, and Windows XP x64 sees 4
>>>processors (Xeons EM64T with HT).
>>>
>>>Thanks.

NNBXX

I checked Dell and Intel websites, and much surprisingly, they both don't
seem to offer such a software compatible with my Dell proprietary mobo and
my dual Xeons
Intel offers such software, but it doesn't work with my system/mobo (I tried
it, but it refuses to install), and Dell offers no such software at all !
Lame for the so-called #1 in personal computing...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You have an interesting observation. I have a MSI board with an Athlon 64
> CPU and the temperature as reported by MSI CoreCenter and Everest are
> exactly the same.
>
> Does Dell, or Intel, have any software to provide CPU temperature that you
> could compare with?
>

> NNBXX wrote:
>> Yes, I tried Everest, which is a very good software. It *does* actually
>> show 2 processors, but their temperatures appear to be 68C idle (for
>> each CPU), whereas MBM5 displays 48C is the same operating conditions
>> (for the only one CPU it seems to monitor). So what software should I
>> trust ? I think 48C idle is more likely to be the true value, even for
>> Xeons (according to MBM5, it can reach 67C in full charge, when
>> performing 3D rendering, for example).
>>
>> "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Have you tried Everest? http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

mikey

what MSI mobo do you have, mine is a K8T Nero with AMD 3200 and Core Cednter does not work for me.

NNBXX wrote:
> Yes, I tried Everest, which is a very good software. It *does* actually show
> 2 processors, but their temperatures appear to be 68C idle (for each CPU),
> whereas MBM5 displays 48C is the same operating conditions (for the only
> one CPU it seems to monitor). So what software should I trust ? I think 48C
> idle is more likely to be the true value, even for Xeons (according to MBM5,
> it can reach 67C in full charge, when performing 3D rendering, for
> example).

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Have you tried Everest? http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
>>

>>NNBXX wrote:
>>
>>>Are there any software for this ? I've tried Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5)
>>>and SpeedFan, but they seem to measure the temperature of only 1
>>>processor (CPU0), and not of both of them. My BIOS doesn't allow
>>>temperature measurement (my computer is a Dell Precison 670 Workstation).
>>>Both processors are activated in BIOS, and Windows XP x64 sees 4
>>>processors (Xeons EM64T with HT).
>>>
>>>Thanks.

mikey

check under Settings, System Info and the System Info at the bottom for the sensor for the second CPU.

(E-Mail Removed)

NNBXX wrote:

>I tried to do so, but I didn't succeed. How do you do that ?

Um, I'm not sure. I was using MBM5 on a dual-CPU Athlon MP machine about
8-9 months ago to monitor both CPU temperatures. I know it was relatively
straight-forward to setup (it had to be, for me to cope with it).

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]