Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x 64 Shutdown Problems

x 64 Shutdown Problems

news.microsoft.com

After installing XP 64 Edition, I have random shutdown freeze ups.
Sometimes it hangs at the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen, sometimes it
hangs at the blank blue screen right after that one. This occurs about 3 out
of 10 shutdowns.

AMD 3400 64 (no overclocking)
MSI K8 Neo Platinum
1 Gb Corsair 3200 DDR Ram
ATI 9800 Pro
Plextor 712 DVD R/W
(2) 250gb WD SATA
All latest device drivers installed.

Installed software:
CorelDraw12 Suite
Adobe Illustrator CS
Photoshop 6
Canvas X
Autocad 2006
MS Office Pro 03
Roxio 7
no other multimedia software installed

John Barnes

You didn't mention an A/V product, but the most common cause of the problem
is AVAST A/V. Same symptoms as yours .

"news.microsoft.com" <Bob> wrote in message
news:OO0jI%(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing XP 64 Edition, I have random shutdown freeze ups.
> Sometimes it hangs at the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen, sometimes it
> hangs at the blank blue screen right after that one. This occurs about 3
> out of 10 shutdowns.
>
> AMD 3400 64 (no overclocking)
> MSI K8 Neo Platinum
> 1 Gb Corsair 3200 DDR Ram
> ATI 9800 Pro
> Plextor 712 DVD R/W
> (2) 250gb WD SATA
> All latest device drivers installed.
>
> Installed software:
> CorelDraw12 Suite
> Adobe Illustrator CS
> Photoshop 6
> Canvas X
> Autocad 2006
> MS Office Pro 03
> Roxio 7
> no other multimedia software installed

NNBXX

Avast antivirus installed on your computer ?

"news.microsoft.com" <Bob> wrote in message
news:OO0jI%(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing XP 64 Edition, I have random shutdown freeze ups.
> Sometimes it hangs at the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen, sometimes it
> hangs at the blank blue screen right after that one. This occurs about 3
> out of 10 shutdowns.
>
> AMD 3400 64 (no overclocking)
> MSI K8 Neo Platinum
> 1 Gb Corsair 3200 DDR Ram
> ATI 9800 Pro
> Plextor 712 DVD R/W
> (2) 250gb WD SATA
> All latest device drivers installed.
>
> Installed software:
> CorelDraw12 Suite
> Adobe Illustrator CS
> Photoshop 6
> Canvas X
> Autocad 2006
> MS Office Pro 03
> Roxio 7
> no other multimedia software installed

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZF8wMDc=?=

I was under the impression that Avast was the best AV to get for the 64 bit
windows. Is this not the case?

"NNBXX" wrote:

> Avast antivirus installed on your computer ?
>
> "news.microsoft.com" <Bob> wrote in message
> news:OO0jI%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After installing XP 64 Edition, I have random shutdown freeze ups.
> > Sometimes it hangs at the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen, sometimes it
> > hangs at the blank blue screen right after that one. This occurs about 3
> > out of 10 shutdowns.
> >
> > AMD 3400 64 (no overclocking)
> > MSI K8 Neo Platinum
> > 1 Gb Corsair 3200 DDR Ram
> > ATI 9800 Pro
> > Plextor 712 DVD R/W
> > (2) 250gb WD SATA
> > All latest device drivers installed.
> >
> > Installed software:
> > CorelDraw12 Suite
> > Adobe Illustrator CS
> > Photoshop 6
> > Canvas X
> > Autocad 2006
> > MS Office Pro 03
> > Roxio 7
> > no other multimedia software installed

John Barnes

Seems to work fine for a lot and it is free, so is NOD32 64-bit beta and it
is very good. On the purchase side, the most reasonable and also well liked
is eTrust 7.1. Symantec and McAfee have corporate versions that work.
Andre likes Symantec corporate. Nobody that I know of has reported back on
McAfee.

"Bond_007" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was under the impression that Avast was the best AV to get for the 64 bit
> windows. Is this not the case?
>

> "NNBXX" wrote:
>
>> Avast antivirus installed on your computer ?
>>
>> "news.microsoft.com" <Bob> wrote in message
>> news:OO0jI%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > After installing XP 64 Edition, I have random shutdown freeze ups.
>> > Sometimes it hangs at the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen, sometimes
>> > it
>> > hangs at the blank blue screen right after that one. This occurs about
>> > 3
>> > out of 10 shutdowns.
>> >
>> > AMD 3400 64 (no overclocking)
>> > MSI K8 Neo Platinum
>> > 1 Gb Corsair 3200 DDR Ram
>> > ATI 9800 Pro
>> > Plextor 712 DVD R/W
>> > (2) 250gb WD SATA
>> > All latest device drivers installed.
>> >
>> > Installed software:
>> > CorelDraw12 Suite
>> > Adobe Illustrator CS
>> > Photoshop 6
>> > Canvas X
>> > Autocad 2006
>> > MS Office Pro 03
>> > Roxio 7
>> > no other multimedia software installed

NNBXX

Indeed, Avast is still one of the best A/V for x64, along with NOD32 2.5
beta and eTrust 7.1, *but* it appears that it freezes shutdown on certain
x64 system, including mine. On the other hand, some other x64 users report
non problems at all with Avast. Depends.

"Bond_007" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was under the impression that Avast was the best AV to get for the 64 bit
> windows. Is this not the case?
>

> "NNBXX" wrote:
>
>> Avast antivirus installed on your computer ?
>>
>> "news.microsoft.com" <Bob> wrote in message
>> news:OO0jI%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > After installing XP 64 Edition, I have random shutdown freeze ups.
>> > Sometimes it hangs at the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen, sometimes
>> > it
>> > hangs at the blank blue screen right after that one. This occurs about
>> > 3
>> > out of 10 shutdowns.
>> >
>> > AMD 3400 64 (no overclocking)
>> > MSI K8 Neo Platinum
>> > 1 Gb Corsair 3200 DDR Ram
>> > ATI 9800 Pro
>> > Plextor 712 DVD R/W
>> > (2) 250gb WD SATA
>> > All latest device drivers installed.
>> >
>> > Installed software:
>> > CorelDraw12 Suite
>> > Adobe Illustrator CS
>> > Photoshop 6
>> > Canvas X
>> > Autocad 2006
>> > MS Office Pro 03
>> > Roxio 7
>> > no other multimedia software installed

M. Murcek

Has anyone reported back to Alwil tech support about the Avast hangup at
shutdown problem on x64 Edition?

"NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Indeed, Avast is still one of the best A/V for x64, along with NOD32 2.5
> beta and eTrust 7.1, *but* it appears that it freezes shutdown on certain
> x64 system, including mine. On the other hand, some other x64 users report
> non problems at all with Avast. Depends.
>
> "Bond_007" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was under the impression that Avast was the best AV to get for the 64
>>bit
>> windows. Is this not the case?
>>

>> "NNBXX" wrote:
>>
>>> Avast antivirus installed on your computer ?
>>>
>>> "news.microsoft.com" <Bob> wrote in message
>>> news:OO0jI%(E-Mail Removed)...

Bob

<laf> YEP! I failed to mention "AVAST".........thanks for pointing out the
culprit.
Bob

"news.microsoft.com" <Bob> wrote in message
news:OO0jI%(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing XP 64 Edition, I have random shutdown freeze ups.
> Sometimes it hangs at the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen, sometimes it
> hangs at the blank blue screen right after that one. This occurs about 3
> out of 10 shutdowns.
>
> AMD 3400 64 (no overclocking)
> MSI K8 Neo Platinum
> 1 Gb Corsair 3200 DDR Ram
> ATI 9800 Pro
> Plextor 712 DVD R/W
> (2) 250gb WD SATA
> All latest device drivers installed.
>
> Installed software:
> CorelDraw12 Suite
> Adobe Illustrator CS
> Photoshop 6
> Canvas X
> Autocad 2006
> MS Office Pro 03
> Roxio 7
> no other multimedia software installed

Bill Ross

I have a problem, not with random reboots, but with random lockups/freezes.
Is this hardware or could this also be software, such as AVAST, which I do
have installed?

Bill Ross

news:(E-Mail Removed)...