Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Problems with Files and settings transfer wizard

Problems with Files and settings transfer wizard

Andrew R Links

I have a problem with files and settings transfer wizard.
1.) made transfer and it worked perfectly...In Windows XP SP2 to my
D:\backup dir
and made sure no passwords were needed to access data...verified data
2.) formated and reloaded with Windows XP Pro x64 Edition full version MS
sent me(not beta)
2. used files and settings transfer wizard and......nothing...says wrong
version....tried with XP CD and says no data to use?

can any of you give me a correct answer to this?
problem as data is still there and I need it bad.
Thank you ahead of time
Andrew R Links

Charlie Russel - MVP

As pointed out in my column and webcast, in several messages here on this
newsgroup, and in MS KB 896344, you need a new version of the Files and
Settings Transfer Wizard. The one that ships with Windows XP is NOT
compatible with x64 Edition. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q896344.

Your only option at this point is to transfer those settings to a 32-bit
version of Windows XP Professional, and then redo the FSTW using the new one
to get to x64 Edition.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Andrew R Links wrote:
> I have a problem with files and settings transfer wizard.
> 1.) made transfer and it worked perfectly...In Windows XP SP2 to my
> D:\backup dir
> and made sure no passwords were needed to access data...verified data
> 2.) formated and reloaded with Windows XP Pro x64 Edition full
> version MS sent me(not beta)
> 2. used files and settings transfer wizard and......nothing...says
> wrong version....tried with XP CD and says no data to use?
>
> can any of you give me a correct answer to this?
> problem as data is still there and I need it bad.
> Thank you ahead of time
> Andrew R Links

=?Utf-8?B?Um9zcw==?=

FYi.
In case you need the new version it is available via Windows Update.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> As pointed out in my column and webcast, in several messages here on this
> newsgroup, and in MS KB 896344, you need a new version of the Files and
> Settings Transfer Wizard. The one that ships with Windows XP is NOT
> compatible with x64 Edition. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q896344.
>
> Your only option at this point is to transfer those settings to a 32-bit
> version of Windows XP Professional, and then redo the FSTW using the new one
> to get to x64 Edition.
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Andrew R Links wrote:
> > I have a problem with files and settings transfer wizard.
> > 1.) made transfer and it worked perfectly...In Windows XP SP2 to my
> > D:\backup dir
> > and made sure no passwords were needed to access data...verified data
> > 2.) formated and reloaded with Windows XP Pro x64 Edition full
> > version MS sent me(not beta)
> > 2. used files and settings transfer wizard and......nothing...says
> > wrong version....tried with XP CD and says no data to use?
> >
> > can any of you give me a correct answer to this?
> > problem as data is still there and I need it bad.
> > Thank you ahead of time
> > Andrew R Links

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, it just showed up there recently. I'm glad to see it there.