Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How do i dual boot??

How do i dual boot??

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=

Hi, i have been recommended in my current situation to dual boot. I already
have xp pro 64bit and i am looking to put xp home on as well. I am very new
to the idea of dual booting but i do now i need to partition the disk?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks. Richard

Andre Da Costa

You will need software like Partition Magic to create the partitions to
install both XP x86 and XP Pro x64. You must install older version of
Windows first which would XP Home in your case then install XP Pro x64 on
the other partition. I also recommend you create the partition in XP Home
first.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, i have been recommended in my current situation to dual boot. I
> already
> have xp pro 64bit and i am looking to put xp home on as well. I am very
> new
> to the idea of dual booting but i do now i need to partition the disk?
>
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.
> Thanks. Richard

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:51:27 -0700, "Andre Da Costa"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You must install older version of
>Windows first which would XP Home in your case then install XP Pro x64 on
>the other partition. I also recommend you create the partition in XP Home
>first.

You can install the other way around, but that's a hassle (as many
here already found out).

jud

David R. Norton MVP

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> You will need software like Partition Magic to create the partitions to
> install both XP x86 and XP Pro x64.

Not really, since he's already installed X64 and, as you say:

> You must install older version of Windows first which would XP Home in
> your case then install XP Pro x64 on the other partition. I also
> recommend you create the partition in XP Home first.

Which means he'll probably have to format and start over, installing XP Home
first so.... he can partition the drive during the install of XP Home and
won't need PM.

A good backup of his current installation might be a very good idea before
starting.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

John Barnes

Easiest way is to install another drive. At this point that is cheaper than
buying software to partition, though others. If you are going to reinstall
as suggested by Andre, you don't need any partitioning software as you can
just delete your current partition and set up a, say half drive, partition
when you install XP Home and then use the unpartitioned space to install x64
later. Since you bought yours preinstalled, that probably isn't practical.
I would buy another drive and follow the instructions posted elsewhere about
handling your ntldr and ntdetect.com files and fixing your boot.ini after
reboot from your Home install.

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, i have been recommended in my current situation to dual boot. I
> already
> have xp pro 64bit and i am looking to put xp home on as well. I am very
> new
> to the idea of dual booting but i do now i need to partition the disk?
>
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.
> Thanks. Richard

Andre Da Costa

Definitely back up, unless its useless data.
--
"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>
>> You will need software like Partition Magic to create the partitions to
>> install both XP x86 and XP Pro x64.

> Not really, since he's already installed X64 and, as you say:
>
>> You must install older version of Windows first which would XP Home in
>> your case then install XP Pro x64 on the other partition. I also
>> recommend you create the partition in XP Home first.

> Which means he'll probably have to format and start over, installing XP
> first so.... he can partition the drive during the install of XP Home and
> won't need PM.
>
> A good backup of his current installation might be a very good idea before
> starting.
>
> --
> David R. Norton MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)>

Andre Da Costa

Oh, I forgot that one, yes, add another is always a winner.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Easiest way is to install another drive. At this point that is cheaper
> than buying software to partition, though others. If you are going to
> reinstall as suggested by Andre, you don't need any partitioning software
> as you can just delete your current partition and set up a, say half
> drive, partition when you install XP Home and then use the unpartitioned
> space to install x64 later. Since you bought yours preinstalled, that
> probably isn't practical. I would buy another drive and follow the
> instructions posted elsewhere about handling your ntldr and ntdetect.com
> files and fixing your boot.ini after reboot from your Home install.
>

> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, i have been recommended in my current situation to dual boot. I
>> already
>> have xp pro 64bit and i am looking to put xp home on as well. I am very
>> new
>> to the idea of dual booting but i do now i need to partition the disk?
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appriciated.
>> Thanks. Richard

Colin Barnhors

There are still issues creating the boot options screen if you install the
older os second.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Easiest way is to install another drive. At this point that is cheaper
> than buying software to partition, though others. If you are going to
> reinstall as suggested by Andre, you don't need any partitioning software
> as you can just delete your current partition and set up a, say half
> drive, partition when you install XP Home and then use the unpartitioned
> space to install x64 later. Since you bought yours preinstalled, that
> probably isn't practical. I would buy another drive and follow the
> instructions posted elsewhere about handling your ntldr and ntdetect.com
> files and fixing your boot.ini after reboot from your Home install.
>

> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, i have been recommended in my current situation to dual boot. I
>> already
>> have xp pro 64bit and i am looking to put xp home on as well. I am very
>> new
>> to the idea of dual booting but i do now i need to partition the disk?
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appriciated.
>> Thanks. Richard

John Barnes

Fine points, but depending on how he obtained XP Home could be a problem
OEM, stays with the machine installed on unless purchased separately. If it
came with the computer, he may have one of those restore disks with XP Home
already installed, along with the drivers, etc. x64 presents the same
scenario. Install disk, probably partitions the drive the same as the
original install if I remember right.

"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>
>> You will need software like Partition Magic to create the partitions to
>> install both XP x86 and XP Pro x64.

> Not really, since he's already installed X64 and, as you say:
>
>> You must install older version of Windows first which would XP Home in
>> your case then install XP Pro x64 on the other partition. I also
>> recommend you create the partition in XP Home first.

> Which means he'll probably have to format and start over, installing XP
> first so.... he can partition the drive during the install of XP Home and
> won't need PM.
>
> A good backup of his current installation might be a very good idea before
> starting.
>
> --
> David R. Norton MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Barnes

Not sure what they might be. Can either edit the boot.ini from the System
Properties panel, advanced, on the system that comes up or use the Recovery
Console to either create a new current set-up or add the other system that
isn't there.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...