Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Problems installing DirectX and windows Media Player in x64

Problems installing DirectX and windows Media Player in x64

=?Utf-8?B?QmphY29icw==?=

I have a piece of software I am testing for a friend. It requires DirectX
and Media Player in order to run.

I attempted to install both on my x64 Pro XP (dual boot Pavilion zv6000
laptop).
On directX install got dialog box:
You must be running Windows....., Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 family
to install the DirectX 9.0

Install on Media Player give the following:

This version of Windows Media Player can be installed only on a computer
running Windows XP (32-bit)

I looked for a note about this but did not find it here. Perhaps these are
already installed. If true, the messages could be better.

--
Computer Gladiator and Outdoor cook

Steve Thompson

Charlie Russel - MVP

Both are already installed as part of the operating system. You can't add
them cause they're already there.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Bjacobs wrote:
> I have a piece of software I am testing for a friend. It requires
> DirectX and Media Player in order to run.
>
> I attempted to install both on my x64 Pro XP (dual boot Pavilion
> zv6000 laptop).
> On directX install got dialog box:
> You must be running Windows....., Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
> family to install the DirectX 9.0
>
> Install on Media Player give the following:
>
> This version of Windows Media Player can be installed only on a
> computer running Windows XP (32-bit)
>
> I looked for a note about this but did not find it here. Perhaps
> these are already installed. If true, the messages could be better.

=?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0dA==?=

My system is very similar to yours: 2 raptors, Fx 55, same motherboard. I've
installed the OS several times, and it always frezzes for awhile when there's
5 minutes left of the installation. If the same thing is happening to you,
just leave it alone; after 20 minutes or so the installation will finish.

Good luck.

"Bjacobs" wrote:

> I have a piece of software I am testing for a friend. It requires DirectX
> and Media Player in order to run.
>
> I attempted to install both on my x64 Pro XP (dual boot Pavilion zv6000
> laptop).
> On directX install got dialog box:
> You must be running Windows....., Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 family
> to install the DirectX 9.0
>
> Install on Media Player give the following:
>
> This version of Windows Media Player can be installed only on a computer
> running Windows XP (32-bit)
>
> I looked for a note about this but did not find it here. Perhaps these are
> already installed. If true, the messages could be better.
>

> --
> Computer Gladiator and Outdoor cook

=?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0dA==?=

Sorry, wrong place.

"Albertt" wrote:

> My system is very similar to yours: 2 raptors, Fx 55, same motherboard. I've
> installed the OS several times, and it always frezzes for awhile when there's
> 5 minutes left of the installation. If the same thing is happening to you,
> just leave it alone; after 20 minutes or so the installation will finish.
>
> Good luck.
>
> "Bjacobs" wrote:
>
> > I have a piece of software I am testing for a friend. It requires DirectX
> > and Media Player in order to run.
> >
> > I attempted to install both on my x64 Pro XP (dual boot Pavilion zv6000
> > laptop).
> > On directX install got dialog box:
> > You must be running Windows....., Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 family
> > to install the DirectX 9.0
> >
> > Install on Media Player give the following:
> >
> > This version of Windows Media Player can be installed only on a computer
> > running Windows XP (32-bit)
> >
> > I looked for a note about this but did not find it here. Perhaps these are
> > already installed. If true, the messages could be better.
> >

> > --
> > Computer Gladiator and Outdoor cook

John Barnes

I read they are distributing the version without MediaPlayer in X64 also to
comply with the EU requirements. I assume that there is a 64-bit version of
MediaPlayer 10 available on the Microsoft site for those who have the EU
version.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Both are already installed as part of the operating system. You can't add
> them cause they're already there.
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Bjacobs wrote:
>> I have a piece of software I am testing for a friend. It requires
>> DirectX and Media Player in order to run.
>>
>> I attempted to install both on my x64 Pro XP (dual boot Pavilion
>> zv6000 laptop).
>> On directX install got dialog box:
>> You must be running Windows....., Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
>> family to install the DirectX 9.0
>>
>> Install on Media Player give the following:
>>
>> This version of Windows Media Player can be installed only on a
>> computer running Windows XP (32-bit)
>>
>> I looked for a note about this but did not find it here. Perhaps
>> these are already installed. If true, the messages could be better.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. You may be right.

--

John Barnes wrote:
> I read they are distributing the version without MediaPlayer in X64
> also to comply with the EU requirements. I assume that there is a
> 64-bit version of MediaPlayer 10 available on the Microsoft site for
> those who have the EU version.
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Both are already installed as part of the operating system. You
>> can't add them cause they're already there.
>>
>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> ======================
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Bjacobs wrote:
>>> I have a piece of software I am testing for a friend. It requires
>>> DirectX and Media Player in order to run.
>>>
>>> I attempted to install both on my x64 Pro XP (dual boot Pavilion
>>> zv6000 laptop).
>>> On directX install got dialog box:
>>> You must be running Windows....., Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
>>> family to install the DirectX 9.0
>>>
>>> Install on Media Player give the following:
>>>
>>> This version of Windows Media Player can be installed only on a
>>> computer running Windows XP (32-bit)
>>>
>>> I looked for a note about this but did not find it here. Perhaps
>>> these are already installed. If true, the messages could be better.

DKI

As far as i read and see it only applys to the 32bit version only and not
the 64bit versions.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...