Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Anyone successfully install 2003 Server x64 (or even XP 64) on ASUS AN8, Gigabyte K8NF9, or MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard?

Anyone successfully install 2003 Server x64 (or even XP 64) on ASUS AN8, Gigabyte K8NF9, or MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard?

RCSea

I'm planning on getting either the ASUS AN8-E or MSI K8N Neo 4, or possibly
the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, and was wondering if anyone has had it
up and running with Windows Server 2003 64 bit (or even just XP 64 bit). It
seems like a lot of the drivers for these boards' components still say 'Beta
version', so I would like to avoid buying something that isn't really
supported on x64 platforms right now. I'm leaning towards the ASUS board but
the MSI board is only about $10 more and the driver download page seems a
more promising.

-rc

John Barnes

Just my own opinion, but ASUS support is worthless. I have been trying to
resolve a driver issue with SATA II for months. Still no results. I have
an MSI video card and they always seem to be months behind Nvidia on
updating the drivers. Don't have any experience with Gigabyte. X64 is
still new enough (and poorly publicised) that some hardware companies don't
even know it has been RTM so make sure the hardware you buy has drivers, or
check the driver situation for any older hardware you plan to bring forward.
Not a pretty sight. I personally would highly recommend you dual boot with
X86 or at least plan for that when you set up. It is a lot easier to expand
your x64 partition than it is to add a partition (except with a second
drive).

"RCSea" <randyc@speakeasy> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm planning on getting either the ASUS AN8-E or MSI K8N Neo 4, or
> possibly
> the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, and was wondering if anyone has had it
> up and running with Windows Server 2003 64 bit (or even just XP 64 bit).
> It
> seems like a lot of the drivers for these boards' components still say
> 'Beta
> version', so I would like to avoid buying something that isn't really
> supported on x64 platforms right now. I'm leaning towards the ASUS board
> but
> the MSI board is only about $10 more and the driver download page seems a
> more promising.
>
> -rc

=?Utf-8?B?amFubWFuX2Rr?=

I have a MSI K8N Diamond running XP x64. I have not had any problems getting
hold of drivers. But then again I don't have any printer or scanner which can
be a big issue - you can also see this browsing this forum.

The main problem with MSI is that al their utilities (Core Center, Live
Update, DigiCell) doesn't work on x64. This have also blocked me getting
their DualNet card to run as WLAN AP and getting the Bluetoth part to work.

But then again NVIDIA nTune also doesn't support x64, and it is probably
also an issue for utilities from other manufactors.
I think that it is just a matter of time before x64 utilities will become
available for x64. Drivers legacy printers is a darker subject.

If you endup with a MSI board I can recommend to check out the forum,
especially the thread: Drivers for Windows XP 64-Bit
http://diamondclub.msi.com.tw/eng/fo...id=472&fpage=1

"RCSea" wrote:

> I'm planning on getting either the ASUS AN8-E or MSI K8N Neo 4, or possibly
> the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, and was wondering if anyone has had it
> up and running with Windows Server 2003 64 bit (or even just XP 64 bit). It
> seems like a lot of the drivers for these boards' components still say 'Beta
> version', so I would like to avoid buying something that isn't really
> supported on x64 platforms right now. I'm leaning towards the ASUS board but
> the MSI board is only about $10 more and the driver download page seems a
> more promising.
>
> -rc

-Dan-

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum...

Good feature set for me. All the onboard hardware works with x64 and latest nVidia drivers, except nV firewall. MSI drivers didn't support all onboard hardware.

OS only sees ~3.3Gb of the 4GB installed. Default memory settings allow DDR400 speed drop to 333MHz. These problems are acknowledged on MSI site for 4 GB installations. By changing timing values, I was able ot get memory speeds back to 400. At 2GB the board should work as advertised. I was able to get all the memory by changing BIOS to "Allow OS to fix memory holes(???)', or something to that effect. However, this broke all the apps and caused many BSODs. I would like to know if there is a fix for this?

--
-Dan-

"RCSea" <randyc@speakeasy> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm planning on getting either the ASUS AN8-E or MSI K8N Neo 4, or possibly
> the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, and was wondering if anyone has had it
> up and running with Windows Server 2003 64 bit (or even just XP 64 bit). It
> seems like a lot of the drivers for these boards' components still say 'Beta
> version', so I would like to avoid buying something that isn't really
> supported on x64 platforms right now. I'm leaning towards the ASUS board but
> the MSI board is only about $10 more and the driver download page seems a
> more promising.
>
> -rc

john

I have a Gigabyte K8N Ultra 9 motherboard with a PCI e Video Card. I have
both Win XP 64 and Win Server 2003 64 installed. The only real problem to
date is with the Silicon SATA Drivers.
I am running a AMD 64 Venice 3000 CPU with 1 GB Dual Channel memory.

Peripheral Drivers are sometimes hard to find as explained in other messages
on this board.

Good Luck

John

"RCSea" <randyc@speakeasy> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm planning on getting either the ASUS AN8-E or MSI K8N Neo 4, or
> possibly
> the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, and was wondering if anyone has had it
> up and running with Windows Server 2003 64 bit (or even just XP 64 bit).
> It
> seems like a lot of the drivers for these boards' components still say
> 'Beta
> version', so I would like to avoid buying something that isn't really
> supported on x64 platforms right now. I'm leaning towards the ASUS board
> but
> the MSI board is only about $10 more and the driver download page seems a
> more promising.
>
> -rc

Charlie Russel - MVP

In my experience, beta versions of drivers and BIOS on the ASUS site are at
least at the usable stage. I don't have this particular motherboard (I've got
the A8V Deluxe), but there is no reason that you should have a problem with
A8N-E. Ultimately, all these boards are really dependent on the nVidia driver
set, so they're all in about the same place. Unlike John's experience, my
only experience with Asus tech support was actually pretty positive. I had a
built in NIC fail on a mobo earlier this month, and it took one phone call
that was reasonably fast (2-3 minutes on hold), a couple of quick queries
from the front line person, a pass to customer service and we did a swapout
of the mobo. They shipped it to me, I swapped it, and shipped the old one
back. No excitement, but it was fairly painless. And this across a border,
always an annoyance.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

RCSea wrote:
> I'm planning on getting either the ASUS AN8-E or MSI K8N Neo 4, or
> possibly the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, and was wondering if
> anyone has had it up and running with Windows Server 2003 64 bit (or
> even just XP 64 bit). It seems like a lot of the drivers for these
> boards' components still say 'Beta version', so I would like to avoid
> buying something that isn't really supported on x64 platforms right
> now. I'm leaning towards the ASUS board but the MSI board is only
> about $10 more and the driver download page seems a more promising.
>
> -rc

Charlie Russel - MVP

Hmmm. I have to say my only experience with ASUS tech support was pretty
positive. I didn't have to go through any big hoops to swap out a bad
motherboard, and they cross shipped it. (was a failed built in NIC.)

--

John Barnes wrote:
> Just my own opinion, but ASUS support is worthless. I have been
> trying to resolve a driver issue with SATA II for months. Still no
> results. I have an MSI video card and they always seem to be months
> behind Nvidia on updating the drivers. Don't have any experience
> with Gigabyte. X64 is still new enough (and poorly publicised) that
> some hardware companies don't even know it has been RTM so make sure
> the hardware you buy has drivers, or check the driver situation for
> any older hardware you plan to bring forward. Not a pretty sight. I
> personally would highly recommend you dual boot with X86 or at least
> plan for that when you set up. It is a lot easier to expand your x64
> partition than it is to add a partition (except with a second drive).
>

> "RCSea" <randyc@speakeasy> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm planning on getting either the ASUS AN8-E or MSI K8N Neo 4, or
>> possibly
>> the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, and was wondering if anyone has
>> had it up and running with Windows Server 2003 64 bit (or even just
>> XP 64 bit). It
>> seems like a lot of the drivers for these boards' components still
>> say 'Beta
>> version', so I would like to avoid buying something that isn't really
>> supported on x64 platforms right now. I'm leaning towards the ASUS
>> board but
>> the MSI board is only about $10 more and the driver download page
>> seems a more promising.
>>
>> -rc

RCSea

Hey,

Thanks for all the replies.

Since this machine is only going to be used as a server, and mostly
adminstered remotely (from the couch ), I don't care about drivers for
peripherals. All I really care about is the SATA support, motherboard
chipset, CPU, on-board Lan, and the ATI vid card (which all seem to use the
same driver set nowadays).

The SATA II problem is a little worriesome, although I was only going to use
SATA I. I wasn't even going to use the on board RAID, just dual dynamic
SATA drives with mirroring.

If you guys think that should work, I'll give the 64-bit version a try,
since I don't mind experimenting a little. But this server will probably
work just fine with the 32 bit version for years.

-rc

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmm. I have to say my only experience with ASUS tech support was pretty
> positive. I didn't have to go through any big hoops to swap out a bad
> motherboard, and they cross shipped it. (was a failed built in NIC.)
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> John Barnes wrote:
> > Just my own opinion, but ASUS support is worthless. I have been
> > trying to resolve a driver issue with SATA II for months. Still no
> > results. I have an MSI video card and they always seem to be months
> > behind Nvidia on updating the drivers. Don't have any experience
> > with Gigabyte. X64 is still new enough (and poorly publicised) that
> > some hardware companies don't even know it has been RTM so make sure
> > the hardware you buy has drivers, or check the driver situation for
> > any older hardware you plan to bring forward. Not a pretty sight. I
> > personally would highly recommend you dual boot with X86 or at least
> > plan for that when you set up. It is a lot easier to expand your x64
> > partition than it is to add a partition (except with a second drive).
> >

> > "RCSea" <randyc@speakeasy> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I'm planning on getting either the ASUS AN8-E or MSI K8N Neo 4, or
> >> possibly
> >> the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, and was wondering if anyone has
> >> had it up and running with Windows Server 2003 64 bit (or even just
> >> XP 64 bit). It
> >> seems like a lot of the drivers for these boards' components still
> >> say 'Beta
> >> version', so I would like to avoid buying something that isn't really
> >> supported on x64 platforms right now. I'm leaning towards the ASUS
> >> board but
> >> the MSI board is only about $10 more and the driver download page
> >> seems a more promising.
> >>
> >> -rc

John Barnes

Except for the SATA II problem, not fixed, and the Nvidia firewall problem
(easily fixed, and I didn't have) the A8N-SLI Deluxe with the Nforce4
chipset works fine. Drivers for the onboard LAN are fine. ATI video card
support seems to be fine. 13 (+all the betas) BIOS revisions in 7 months is
obviously a work in progress.

"RCSea" <randyc@speakeasy> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey,
>
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> Since this machine is only going to be used as a server, and mostly
> adminstered remotely (from the couch ), I don't care about drivers for
> peripherals. All I really care about is the SATA support, motherboard
> chipset, CPU, on-board Lan, and the ATI vid card (which all seem to use
> the
> same driver set nowadays).
>
> The SATA II problem is a little worriesome, although I was only going to
> use
> SATA I. I wasn't even going to use the on board RAID, just dual dynamic
> SATA drives with mirroring.
>
> If you guys think that should work, I'll give the 64-bit version a try,
> since I don't mind experimenting a little. But this server will probably
> work just fine with the 32 bit version for years.
>
> -rc

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmmm. I have to say my only experience with ASUS tech support was pretty
>> positive. I didn't have to go through any big hoops to swap out a bad
>> motherboard, and they cross shipped it. (was a failed built in NIC.)
>>
>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> ======================
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> John Barnes wrote:
>> > Just my own opinion, but ASUS support is worthless. I have been
>> > trying to resolve a driver issue with SATA II for months. Still no
>> > results. I have an MSI video card and they always seem to be months
>> > behind Nvidia on updating the drivers. Don't have any experience
>> > with Gigabyte. X64 is still new enough (and poorly publicised) that
>> > some hardware companies don't even know it has been RTM so make sure
>> > the hardware you buy has drivers, or check the driver situation for
>> > any older hardware you plan to bring forward. Not a pretty sight. I
>> > personally would highly recommend you dual boot with X86 or at least
>> > plan for that when you set up. It is a lot easier to expand your x64
>> > partition than it is to add a partition (except with a second drive).
>> >

>> > "RCSea" <randyc@speakeasy> wrote in message
>> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

RCSea

OK, thanks everyone for all the replies.

I had decided to go with the ASUS board but, because MSI just started a $25
rebate program for a bunch of their mobos tonight at midnight as I was
placing my order on newegg, I ended up ordering the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (I
had been looking at the Neo 4-F). A complete steal for the feature set.

I'll probably put on XP Pro 32 to make sure all the hardware is working in
general before I get to playing with the 64 bit trial version.

Thanks,
-rc