Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Search not working in Windows 64bit Edition ??

Search not working in Windows 64bit Edition ??

=?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgQw==?=

Is anyone else having trouble with the search facility in this discussion
group ? Search always results in no hits for me in Windows 64bit Edition no
matter what I search for. It works fine in other groups.

very confused

Barry C

=?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=

same scenario from where I am, any search for any key word results in no
hits, strange indeed.

Colin Barnhorst

I just did a search (Find on the toolbar) on a randomly picked word,
"toshiba" and got four posts.

"Barry C" <Barry http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is anyone else having trouble with the search facility in this discussion
> group ? Search always results in no hits for me in Windows 64bit Edition
> no
> matter what I search for. It works fine in other groups.
>
> very confused
>
> Barry C

Tony Sperling

Same here, 'longhorn' came up with 91 messages - and looking for new items.

Tony. . .

news:%239HYW%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just did a search (Find on the toolbar) on a randomly picked word,
>"toshiba" and got four posts.
>
> "Barry C" <Barry (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is anyone else having trouble with the search facility in this discussion
>> group ? Search always results in no hits for me in Windows 64bit Edition
>> no
>> matter what I search for. It works fine in other groups.
>>
>> very confused
>>
>> Barry C

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Search doesn't work for me either. Didn't work with XP Pro (32 bit) or now
with x64 (32 or 64 bit IE).

"Barry C" wrote:

> Is anyone else having trouble with the search facility in this discussion
> group ? Search always results in no hits for me in Windows 64bit Edition no
> matter what I search for. It works fine in other groups.
>
> very confused
>
> Barry C

Dennis Pack

When searching for a message verify that you highlight the before box at the
bottom.

"Barry C" <Barry (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is anyone else having trouble with the search facility in this discussion
> group ? Search always results in no hits for me in Windows 64bit Edition
> no
> matter what I search for. It works fine in other groups.
>
> very confused
>
> Barry C

=?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgQw==?=

Im not sure what "before box" is Dennis ??

I did kinda figure out my own circumvention. I think the problem is related
to how you get to Windows 64bit Edition Newgroups. If I use the direct link
labeled

More Newsgroups
• Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
• Use Web-based reader
• Open with newsreader

then the search doesnt appear to work. The frame on the left has a bunch of
cascading menus for various options including alot of languages.

If I go to the newsgroups via the Windows/XP General link

• Windows XP General
• Use Web-based reader
• Open with newsreader

and then click on Windows XP Professional Edition in the frame on the left,
then search appears to work. This time the frame on the left looks different
.. Its much more friendly looking.

Very wierd. Is everybody more confused than ever ? LOL

Barry C

"Dennis Pack" wrote:

> When searching for a message verify that you highlight the before box at the
> bottom.
>

> "Barry C" <Barry (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is anyone else having trouble with the search facility in this discussion
> > group ? Search always results in no hits for me in Windows 64bit Edition
> > no
> > matter what I search for. It works fine in other groups.
> >
> > very confused
> >
> > Barry C

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

This may seem like a trivial problem. But the search function is not working
at all for me either. Could the moderator please post the correct mechanism
for accessing this forum, and maybe post it as a help link at the top of the
forum???

No matter what I try, the search function returns 0 results for anything I
type in. And in the GUI that is presented to me via the web-based newsreader
I don't see a "before box" at the bottom either. And I'm seeing the somewhat
odd languages menu in the left pane too.

It was very painful just to find this particular post. I scanned thru 15
screens worth of messages to see if someone else was experiencing the
problem. Charlie - it would be great if you could update the shortcut on
your Win64 FAQ page to this newsgroup with whatever the best link is. By the
way, that is an excellent FAQ, I read thru the whole thing.

thanks in advance....Jeff

"Barry C" wrote:

> Im not sure what "before box" is Dennis ??
>
> I did kinda figure out my own circumvention. I think the problem is related
> to how you get to Windows 64bit Edition Newgroups. If I use the direct link
> labeled
>
> More Newsgroups
> • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> • Use Web-based reader
> • Open with newsreader
>
> then the search doesnt appear to work. The frame on the left has a bunch of
> cascading menus for various options including alot of languages.
>
> If I go to the newsgroups via the Windows/XP General link
>
> • Windows XP General
> • Use Web-based reader
> • Open with newsreader
>
> and then click on Windows XP Professional Edition in the frame on the left,
> then search appears to work. This time the frame on the left looks different
> . Its much more friendly looking.
>
> Very wierd. Is everybody more confused than ever ? LOL
>
> Barry C

Charlie Russel - MVP

Jeff -- the best solution is to not use the GUI front end, but I wasn't
allowed to say that in my column. Use OE -- it works just fine. All you need
to know is:

server name: msnews.microsoft.com
newgroup name: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

link: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof....64bit.general

Also, see the help file for OE to get detailed setup instructions for
newsgroups.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jeff wrote:
> This may seem like a trivial problem. But the search function is not
> working at all for me either. Could the moderator please post the
> correct mechanism for accessing this forum, and maybe post it as a help
> link at the top of the forum???
>
> No matter what I try, the search function returns 0 results for anything I
> type in. And in the GUI that is presented to me via the web-based
> newsreader I don't see a "before box" at the bottom either. And I'm
> seeing the somewhat odd languages menu in the left pane too.
>
> It was very painful just to find this particular post. I scanned thru 15
> screens worth of messages to see if someone else was experiencing the
> problem. Charlie - it would be great if you could update the shortcut on
> your Win64 FAQ page to this newsgroup with whatever the best link is. By
> the way, that is an excellent FAQ, I read thru the whole thing.
>
> thanks in advance....Jeff
>
> "Barry C" wrote:
>
>> Im not sure what "before box" is Dennis ??
>>
>> I did kinda figure out my own circumvention. I think the problem is
>> related to how you get to Windows 64bit Edition Newgroups. If I use the
>> direct link labeled
>>
>> More Newsgroups
>> . Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
>> . Use Web-based reader
>> . Open with newsreader
>>
>> then the search doesnt appear to work. The frame on the left has a bunch
>> of cascading menus for various options including alot of languages.
>>
>> If I go to the newsgroups via the Windows/XP General link
>>
>> . Windows XP General
>> . Use Web-based reader
>> . Open with newsreader
>>
>> and then click on Windows XP Professional Edition in the frame on the
>> left, then search appears to work. This time the frame on the left looks
>> different . Its much more friendly looking.
>>
>> Very wierd. Is everybody more confused than ever ? LOL
>>
>> Barry C

Jeff Jilg

Thank you very much Charlie. I got OE configured within 10 minutes. Hadn't
used that interface in several years.

It works great! Too bad this can't be a recommended solution since it is a
Microsoft product. Thanks again. This is a much better way to parse and
read the newsgroup content.

.....Jeff

news:(E-Mail Removed)...