Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Super Hidden folders

Super Hidden folders

M. Murcek

What happens if you type C:\Windows\System32\Config in the Run box and hit
OK?

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have set the Show Hidden System folder option set in the
> View tab in Explorer options.
> It does show all hidden system folder.
> But if I try view
> C:\Windows\System32\Config
> from a browse dialog, the Config folder can't be seen.
> even if I set the dialog to show hidden folders.
> Also if I try to FileCopy unlocked file from Config, it comes
> back with an error that path C:\Windows\System32\Config
> doesn't exist.
>
> This must be new in XP 64, I wonder what if there is an
> extra setting to access these super hidden folders,
> (or un-accessible folders) programmatically.

M. Murcek

Sounds like a bug in Windows Explorer...

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Opens the folder OK.
>

> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What happens if you type C:\Windows\System32\Config in the Run box and
>> hit OK?
>>
>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have set the Show Hidden System folder option set in the
>>> View tab in Explorer options.
>>> It does show all hidden system folder.
>>> But if I try view
>>> C:\Windows\System32\Config
>>> from a browse dialog, the Config folder can't be seen.
>>> even if I set the dialog to show hidden folders.
>>> Also if I try to FileCopy unlocked file from Config, it comes
>>> back with an error that path C:\Windows\System32\Config
>>> doesn't exist.
>>>
>>> This must be new in XP 64, I wonder what if there is an
>>> extra setting to access these super hidden folders,
>>> (or un-accessible folders) programmatically.

Ted

I have set the Show Hidden System folder option set in the
View tab in Explorer options.
It does show all hidden system folder.
But if I try view
C:\Windows\System32\Config
from a browse dialog, the Config folder can't be seen.
even if I set the dialog to show hidden folders.
Also if I try to FileCopy unlocked file from Config, it comes
back with an error that path C:\Windows\System32\Config
doesn't exist.

This must be new in XP 64, I wonder what if there is an
extra setting to access these super hidden folders,
(or un-accessible folders) programmatically.

Ted

Opens the folder OK.

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What happens if you type C:\Windows\System32\Config in the Run box and hit
> OK?
>
> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have set the Show Hidden System folder option set in the
>> View tab in Explorer options.
>> It does show all hidden system folder.
>> But if I try view
>> C:\Windows\System32\Config
>> from a browse dialog, the Config folder can't be seen.
>> even if I set the dialog to show hidden folders.
>> Also if I try to FileCopy unlocked file from Config, it comes
>> back with an error that path C:\Windows\System32\Config
>> doesn't exist.
>>
>> This must be new in XP 64, I wonder what if there is an
>> extra setting to access these super hidden folders,
>> (or un-accessible folders) programmatically.

Charlie Russel - MVP

1.) Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"
2.) Make sure you're using 64-bit Windows Explorer.

Your view of what is in the folder will depend on which version of Windows
Explorer you run.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Ted wrote:
> I have set the Show Hidden System folder option set in the
> View tab in Explorer options.
> It does show all hidden system folder.
> But if I try view
> C:\Windows\System32\Config
> from a browse dialog, the Config folder can't be seen.
> even if I set the dialog to show hidden folders.
> Also if I try to FileCopy unlocked file from Config, it comes
> back with an error that path C:\Windows\System32\Config
> doesn't exist.
>
> This must be new in XP 64, I wonder what if there is an
> extra setting to access these super hidden folders,
> (or un-accessible folders) programmatically.

Charlie Russel - MVP

No. Works fine. However, if he were, for example, running the 32-bit version
of Explorer, it would see only the 32-bit version of the folder.

--

M. Murcek wrote:
> Sounds like a bug in Windows Explorer...
>
> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Opens the folder OK.
>>

>> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What happens if you type C:\Windows\System32\Config in the Run box and
>>> hit OK?
>>>
>>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Ok, I confess to a bit of ignorance here. I see one Windows Explorer, not
two like I do with IE. What the heck am I running when I do a Win+E?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No. Works fine. However, if he were, for example, running the 32-bit
> version of Explorer, it would see only the 32-bit version of the folder.
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> M. Murcek wrote:
>> Sounds like a bug in Windows Explorer...
>>
>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Opens the folder OK.
>>>

>>> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

There are two Explorers, just as there are two IE's. You don't normally run
the 32-bit one, but it is possible to run it as a standalone, or even as
your shell. This is a known (and blogged:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../19/54064.aspx) workaround for the
right mouse click extensions. However, you need to be aware that the view
one has of the file system is _different_ when you use a 32-bit program,
including 32-bit Explorer.

As for what you might be running with some key combination? No clue. I don't
have the same keybindings here, since my ancient but beloved Northgate
OmniKey 102 keyboard predates any Windows specific keys.

--

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Ok, I confess to a bit of ignorance here. I see one Windows Explorer, not
> two like I do with IE. What the heck am I running when I do a Win+E?

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No. Works fine. However, if he were, for example, running the 32-bit
>> version of Explorer, it would see only the 32-bit version of the folder.
>>
>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> ======================
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> M. Murcek wrote:
>>> Sounds like a bug in Windows Explorer...
>>>
>>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes. Run the 64 bit version of Explorer.

--

Ted wrote:
> Any work around ?
> Thanks

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No. Works fine. However, if he were, for example, running the 32-bit
>> version of Explorer, it would see only the 32-bit version of the folder.
>>
>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> ======================
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> M. Murcek wrote:
>>> Sounds like a bug in Windows Explorer...
>>>
>>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Ted

Any work around ?
Thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No. Works fine. However, if he were, for example, running the 32-bit
> version of Explorer, it would see only the 32-bit version of the folder.
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> M. Murcek wrote:
>> Sounds like a bug in Windows Explorer...
>>
>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Opens the folder OK.
>>>

>>> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Win 7 folders hidden despite 'show hidden' checked Boppy NZ Computing 10 01-23-2010 02:56 AM
super.super.super how? Java 24 02-24-2005 10:51 PM
super. could there be a simpler super? Kerim Borchaev Python 4 01-15-2004 03:15 PM
WHICH LENS? - SIGMA 70-300mm DL MACRO Super-II or 28-300mm AF Super Zoom 4 - for Canon 300d Rebel Digital SLR? No Spam Digital Photography 24 11-27-2003 08:21 AM
Getting the super class via the super() function Fernando Rodriguez Python 2 11-22-2003 12:08 AM

Advertisments