Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Using a Windows XP 64 bit print driver on a 32 bit Windows 2003 Print Server

Using a Windows XP 64 bit print driver on a 32 bit Windows 2003 Print Server

Alex Griffin

Hello chaps and ladies,

I have just rolled out a few 64 bit XP Pro clients and am having some
difficulties with our network printers. I have Lexmark Optra 1200,
W810 and M410s. The drivers for which *are* included with Windows XP
64 bit edition.... However, when I browse to those printers shared off
our network print server (32bit Windows 2003 Server) I get an error to
the effect that the print drivers on the server are not correct. That
is fine... They are not... However I have tried to update the Print
Server to add the 64 bit client drivers, but I cannot. How can I
extract the printer drivers from Windows XP 64? I can get the driver
files, but I am still lacking an inf file, and despite dumping all the
inf files that I can find which mention "Lexmark" from the Windows OS
directories and the driver files into a directory, the driver will not
install.

Lexmark do not have any 64 bit print drivers on their website, so I
cannot got them from there. It seems ridiculous, that in effect, I
have the drivers, but I cannot deploy them for lack of an inf file.
*grumbles*

Help! Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Alex Griffin

John Barnes

ntprint.inf

"Alex Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello chaps and ladies,
>
> I have just rolled out a few 64 bit XP Pro clients and am having some
> difficulties with our network printers. I have Lexmark Optra 1200,
> W810 and M410s. The drivers for which *are* included with Windows XP
> 64 bit edition.... However, when I browse to those printers shared off
> our network print server (32bit Windows 2003 Server) I get an error to
> the effect that the print drivers on the server are not correct. That
> is fine... They are not... However I have tried to update the Print
> Server to add the 64 bit client drivers, but I cannot. How can I
> extract the printer drivers from Windows XP 64? I can get the driver
> files, but I am still lacking an inf file, and despite dumping all the
> inf files that I can find which mention "Lexmark" from the Windows OS
> directories and the driver files into a directory, the driver will not
> install.
>
> Lexmark do not have any 64 bit print drivers on their website, so I
> cannot got them from there. It seems ridiculous, that in effect, I
> have the drivers, but I cannot deploy them for lack of an inf file.
> *grumbles*
>
> Help! Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Alex Griffin

M. Murcek

I see this same problem trying to install a HP JetDirect 500 print server.
I tried extracting the \AMD64\Drivers.cab to a folder on the HDD. When I
browse to it, I can see the .inf for the printer I want, but the HP
installer comes back with the incorrect printer driver message and exits.
Since the HP software at one point asks for files from the \IA64 directory,
I assumed it was something hard coded into the installer software. I'm
successfully using printer shares located on a W2K server, but they are
LJ1200 and DJ990c which are on the x64 Edition CD. I'm still trying to work
around it. Maybe try downloading an x64 driver from your printer's
manufacturer, and browse to that during the install?

"Alex Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello chaps and ladies,
>
> I have just rolled out a few 64 bit XP Pro clients and am having some
> difficulties with our network printers. I have Lexmark Optra 1200,
> W810 and M410s. The drivers for which *are* included with Windows XP
> 64 bit edition.... However, when I browse to those printers shared off
> our network print server (32bit Windows 2003 Server) I get an error to
> the effect that the print drivers on the server are not correct. That
> is fine... They are not... However I have tried to update the Print
> Server to add the 64 bit client drivers, but I cannot. How can I
> extract the printer drivers from Windows XP 64? I can get the driver
> files, but I am still lacking an inf file, and despite dumping all the
> inf files that I can find which mention "Lexmark" from the Windows OS
> directories and the driver files into a directory, the driver will not
> install.
>
> Lexmark do not have any 64 bit print drivers on their website, so I
> cannot got them from there. It seems ridiculous, that in effect, I
> have the drivers, but I cannot deploy them for lack of an inf file.
> *grumbles*
>
> Help! Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Alex Griffin

Rick

You need to check your keyboard. It seems to be stuck on "ntprint.inf"

John Barnes wrote:
> ntprint.inf
>

> "Alex Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hello chaps and ladies,
>>
>>I have just rolled out a few 64 bit XP Pro clients and am having some
>>difficulties with our network printers. I have Lexmark Optra 1200,
>>W810 and M410s. The drivers for which *are* included with Windows XP
>>64 bit edition.... However, when I browse to those printers shared off
>>our network print server (32bit Windows 2003 Server) I get an error to
>>the effect that the print drivers on the server are not correct. That
>>is fine... They are not... However I have tried to update the Print
>>Server to add the 64 bit client drivers, but I cannot. How can I
>>extract the printer drivers from Windows XP 64? I can get the driver
>>files, but I am still lacking an inf file, and despite dumping all the
>>inf files that I can find which mention "Lexmark" from the Windows OS
>>directories and the driver files into a directory, the driver will not
>>install.
>>
>>Lexmark do not have any 64 bit print drivers on their website, so I
>>cannot got them from there. It seems ridiculous, that in effect, I
>>have the drivers, but I cannot deploy them for lack of an inf file.
>>*grumbles*
>>
>>Help! Any suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>--
>>Alex Griffin

Charlie Russel - MVP

Alex -- short answer is to add additional drivers to the printer, and when
you do that, specify x64 as the architecture, and point to the
\amd64\ntprint.inf file on your x64 CD as the source. I'll try to write this
up for the blog later today, in greater detail. (And this may require SP1 to
work properly - have to verify, since all my servers are at SP1 or later, by
now.)

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Alex Griffin wrote:
> Hello chaps and ladies,
>
> I have just rolled out a few 64 bit XP Pro clients and am having some
> difficulties with our network printers. I have Lexmark Optra 1200,
> W810 and M410s. The drivers for which *are* included with Windows XP
> 64 bit edition.... However, when I browse to those printers shared off
> our network print server (32bit Windows 2003 Server) I get an error to
> the effect that the print drivers on the server are not correct. That
> is fine... They are not... However I have tried to update the Print
> Server to add the 64 bit client drivers, but I cannot. How can I
> extract the printer drivers from Windows XP 64? I can get the driver
> files, but I am still lacking an inf file, and despite dumping all the
> inf files that I can find which mention "Lexmark" from the Windows OS
> directories and the driver files into a directory, the driver will not
> install.
>
> Lexmark do not have any 64 bit print drivers on their website, so I
> cannot got them from there. It seems ridiculous, that in effect, I
> have the drivers, but I cannot deploy them for lack of an inf file.
> *grumbles*
>
> Help! Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

probably because it is the correct, if short, answer.

--

Rick wrote:
> You need to check your keyboard. It seems to be stuck on "ntprint.inf"
>

> John Barnes wrote:
>> ntprint.inf
>>

>> "Alex Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Hello chaps and ladies,
>>>
>>> I have just rolled out a few 64 bit XP Pro clients and am having some
>>> difficulties with our network printers. I have Lexmark Optra 1200,
>>> W810 and M410s. The drivers for which *are* included with Windows XP
>>> 64 bit edition.... However, when I browse to those printers shared off
>>> our network print server (32bit Windows 2003 Server) I get an error to
>>> the effect that the print drivers on the server are not correct. That
>>> is fine... They are not... However I have tried to update the Print
>>> Server to add the 64 bit client drivers, but I cannot. How can I
>>> extract the printer drivers from Windows XP 64? I can get the driver
>>> files, but I am still lacking an inf file, and despite dumping all the
>>> inf files that I can find which mention "Lexmark" from the Windows OS
>>> directories and the driver files into a directory, the driver will not
>>> install.
>>>
>>> Lexmark do not have any 64 bit print drivers on their website, so I
>>> cannot got them from there. It seems ridiculous, that in effect, I
>>> have the drivers, but I cannot deploy them for lack of an inf file.
>>> *grumbles*
>>>
>>> Help! Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alex Griffin

John Barnes

or copy from your x64 OS

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alex -- short answer is to add additional drivers to the printer, and when
> you do that, specify x64 as the architecture, and point to the
> \amd64\ntprint.inf file on your x64 CD as the source. I'll try to write
> this up for the blog later today, in greater detail. (And this may require
> SP1 to work properly - have to verify, since all my servers are at SP1 or
> later, by now.)
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Alex Griffin wrote:
>> Hello chaps and ladies,
>>
>> I have just rolled out a few 64 bit XP Pro clients and am having some
>> difficulties with our network printers. I have Lexmark Optra 1200,
>> W810 and M410s. The drivers for which *are* included with Windows XP
>> 64 bit edition.... However, when I browse to those printers shared off
>> our network print server (32bit Windows 2003 Server) I get an error to
>> the effect that the print drivers on the server are not correct. That
>> is fine... They are not... However I have tried to update the Print
>> Server to add the 64 bit client drivers, but I cannot. How can I
>> extract the printer drivers from Windows XP 64? I can get the driver
>> files, but I am still lacking an inf file, and despite dumping all the
>> inf files that I can find which mention "Lexmark" from the Windows OS
>> directories and the driver files into a directory, the driver will not
>> install.
>>
>> Lexmark do not have any 64 bit print drivers on their website, so I
>> cannot got them from there. It seems ridiculous, that in effect, I
>> have the drivers, but I cannot deploy them for lack of an inf file.
>> *grumbles*
>>
>> Help! Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.

John Barnes

Let's see, that makes 3 sarcastic bitter responses.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need to check your keyboard. It seems to be stuck on "ntprint.inf"
>

> John Barnes wrote:
>> ntprint.inf
>>

>> "Alex Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Hello chaps and ladies,
>>>
>>>I have just rolled out a few 64 bit XP Pro clients and am having some
>>>difficulties with our network printers. I have Lexmark Optra 1200,
>>>W810 and M410s. The drivers for which *are* included with Windows XP
>>>64 bit edition.... However, when I browse to those printers shared off
>>>our network print server (32bit Windows 2003 Server) I get an error to
>>>the effect that the print drivers on the server are not correct. That
>>>is fine... They are not... However I have tried to update the Print
>>>Server to add the 64 bit client drivers, but I cannot. How can I
>>>extract the printer drivers from Windows XP 64? I can get the driver
>>>files, but I am still lacking an inf file, and despite dumping all the
>>>inf files that I can find which mention "Lexmark" from the Windows OS
>>>directories and the driver files into a directory, the driver will not
>>>install.
>>>
>>>Lexmark do not have any 64 bit print drivers on their website, so I
>>>cannot got them from there. It seems ridiculous, that in effect, I
>>>have the drivers, but I cannot deploy them for lack of an inf file.
>>>*grumbles*
>>>
>>>Help! Any suggestions?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Alex Griffin

John Barnes

Thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> probably because it is the correct, if short, answer.
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Rick wrote:
>> You need to check your keyboard. It seems to be stuck on "ntprint.inf"
>>

>> John Barnes wrote:
>>> ntprint.inf
>>>

>>> "Alex Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Alex Griffin

"John Barnes" wrote:

> ntprint.inf

Hi John,

That's the inf file I am using, but no dice.

Let me go over in detail, what I have done.

I have installed the "Lexmark Optra 1200 (MS)" driver on the 64 bit
workstation.

I have navigated to here, to get the driver files:

%systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3

And to here, to get the inf files:

%systemroot%\inf

I have put all of those files in c:\temp, so that I have the following:

Directory of C:\TEMP

27/07/2005 15:00 <DIR> .
27/07/2005 15:00 <DIR> ..
27/07/2005 09:45 26,900 LOPC1200.BPD
24/03/2005 17:20 32,587 LOPC1200.PPD
25/03/2005 13:00 1,570,474 ntprint.inf
26/07/2005 11:19 1,364,728 ntprint.PNF
24/03/2005 17:22 393,728 OPTRARES.DLL
24/03/2005 17:25 14,362 STDNAMES.GPD
24/03/2005 17:34 698 TTFSUB.GPD
24/03/2005 17:34 518,144 UNIDRV.DLL
24/03/2005 17:34 21,225 UNIDRV.HLP
24/03/2005 17:34 324,608 UNIDRVUI.DLL
24/03/2005 17:34 620,544 UNIRES.DLL

I have then browsed to the server, gone into the "Printers and Faxes"
folder. I have then clicked on one of our shared Optra 1200 printers, and
gone to "Sharing" and selected "Additional Drivers". In there I have ticked
the "x64 Windows XP and Windows Server 2003" option, and have then clicked
on "Ok". The wizard then prompts me for a directory where it can find the
driver, I point it the location where I placed the above files and the
wizard responds:

"The specified location does not contain the driver Lexmark Optra Color 1200
for the requested processor architecture."

I then tear my hair out

--
Alex Griffin