Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Using a Windows XP 64 bit print driver on a 32 bit Windows 2003 Print Server

Reply
Thread Tools

Using a Windows XP 64 bit print driver on a 32 bit Windows 2003 Print Server

 
 
Alex Griffin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2005
"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Alex -- short answer is to add additional drivers to the printer, and when
> you do that, specify x64 as the architecture, and point to the
> \amd64\ntprint.inf file on your x64 CD as the source. I'll try to write
> this up for the blog later today, in greater detail. (And this may require
> SP1 to work properly - have to verify, since all my servers are at SP1 or
> later, by now.)


Hi Charlie,

I have tried that and get the same error message as with my little attempt
as detailed in my last post in this thread.

"The specified location does not contain the driver Lexmark Optra Color 1200
for the requested processor architecture."

--
Alex Griffin



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2005
Have you tried to browse to the amd64 file on your x64 install disk when
asked for the location?


"Alex Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Alex -- short answer is to add additional drivers to the printer, and
>> when you do that, specify x64 as the architecture, and point to the
>> \amd64\ntprint.inf file on your x64 CD as the source. I'll try to write
>> this up for the blog later today, in greater detail. (And this may
>> require SP1 to work properly - have to verify, since all my servers are
>> at SP1 or later, by now.)

>
> Hi Charlie,
>
> I have tried that and get the same error message as with my little attempt
> as detailed in my last post in this thread.
>
> "The specified location does not contain the driver Lexmark Optra Color
> 1200
> for the requested processor architecture."
>
> --
> Alex Griffin
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alex Griffin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2005

"Alex Griffin" wrote:

> "The specified location does not contain the driver Lexmark Optra Color
> 1200
> for the requested processor architecture."


Ok, more fiddling and it does work. I created a fresh printer pointing at
the same printing device, and when I tried to add the 64 bit driver on that
system, it worked. I guess my earlier fiddling has left the original printer
instanced in a befuddled state and it is not playing. Nothing a reboot
probably will not fix. *grumble*

But you are all correct, ntprint.inf is the ticket. Thanks chaps!

--
Alex Griffin


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alex Griffin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2005
"Alex Griffin" wrote:
> Ok, more fiddling and it does work. I created a fresh printer pointing at
> the same printing device, and when I tried to add the 64 bit driver on
> that system, it worked. I guess my earlier fiddling has left the original
> printer instanced in a befuddled state and it is not playing. Nothing a
> reboot probably will not fix. *grumble*


Ok, last update, I hope... but I felt it only fair to share my last
discovery. This may be obvious to the printer gurus out there, but it was
not to me. You have to use the same driver across the board, and that's
where the problem was occurring when I was trying to add the 64 bit driver
to the orginal "printer". When I installed the second "printer" I choose the
32 bit Windows 2003 Server provided Optra 1200 driver called "Lexmark Optra
Color 1200 (MS)", and consequently the 64 bit driver was able to install
because that is the same driver "series" that is also on the 64 bit OS . The
original Lexmark driver I had on my original "printers" must be a Lexmark
version since it is literally called "Lexmark Optra Color 1200" (Not the MS
or PS one), and as a result there was indeed no 64 Bit version which is what
the installer kept on telling me, and it was right there was none.

I am not too sure my explanation is very clear, if you want me to clarify
futher then please say so and I will try.

--
Alex Griffin


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2005
yes, this is correct. It must be the exact same driver or it will fail. So,
if your printer is natviely supported by ntprint.inf, you need to either
edit the ntprint.inf file (tricky, and not recommended), or make a decision
about what workaround printer you will use that IS supported, and then
create a printer on the server that uses that same (but 32-bit version)
driver, and then add the x64 version.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/


Alex Griffin wrote:
> "Alex Griffin" wrote:
>> Ok, more fiddling and it does work. I created a fresh printer pointing at
>> the same printing device, and when I tried to add the 64 bit driver on
>> that system, it worked. I guess my earlier fiddling has left the original
>> printer instanced in a befuddled state and it is not playing. Nothing a
>> reboot probably will not fix. *grumble*

>
> Ok, last update, I hope... but I felt it only fair to share my last
> discovery. This may be obvious to the printer gurus out there, but it was
> not to me. You have to use the same driver across the board, and that's
> where the problem was occurring when I was trying to add the 64 bit driver
> to the orginal "printer". When I installed the second "printer" I choose
> the 32 bit Windows 2003 Server provided Optra 1200 driver called "Lexmark
> Optra Color 1200 (MS)", and consequently the 64 bit driver was able to
> install because that is the same driver "series" that is also on the 64
> bit OS . The original Lexmark driver I had on my original "printers" must
> be a Lexmark version since it is literally called "Lexmark Optra Color
> 1200" (Not the MS or PS one), and as a result there was indeed no 64 Bit
> version which is what the installer kept on telling me, and it was right
> there was none.
> I am not too sure my explanation is very clear, if you want me to clarify
> futher then please say so and I will try.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
X64 bit printer driver on 32 bit print server =?Utf-8?B?YW1pdCBrdWw=?= Windows 64bit 1 07-23-2007 03:28 PM
ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x8fc Thread 0x934 DBC 0x437b94 Jet'. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr bazzer ASP .Net 0 03-24-2006 02:22 PM
converting 32-bit driver to 64-bit driver =?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFdvbmcg6buD5rOT6YeP?= Windows 64bit 9 08-20-2005 04:50 AM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new ! vvcd Computer Support 0 09-17-2004 08:15 PM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit,Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new! Ionizer Computer Support 1 01-01-2004 07:27 PM



Advertisments