Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Norton A/V fans

Norton A/V fans

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Prior versions of Norton Corporate had problems configuring over a LAN, but
have taken care of that 9 and it should be the same in 10.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Same here (Norton and McAfee are uninstall nightmares - Live Update errors
> on Norton and script errors on McAfee). Plus the fact that automatic
> updates are only 1 time a week. I personally use Trend Micro on x86 with
> updates as often as necessary, sometimes I have had 4 updates a day.
> Avast seems okay for my x64 as I don't experience the shutdown problems
> and they do update every time there is a new file. Plus, I can't use x64
> much of the time yet.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I imagine the dislike comes from the complexity of manually uninstalling
>>it to correct some LiveUpdate problems (at least that has been my
>>particular experience). It is an unpleasant chore and I have had to do it
>>several times in the past three years or so. It doesn't mean I don't
>>continue to use NAV, but I sure wish it did not have a propensity for
>>fouling up when attempting to do maintenance on it.
>>
>> "Sean M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eH$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm admittedly surprised at how many people dislike Norton for
>>> antivirus
>>> protection. In my experience it has always picked up and cleaned stuff
>>> that
>>> McAfee and others tended to miss.
>>>
>>> It takes all kinds, I guess.
>>>
>>> -- Sean M
>>>
>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> all

>>> need

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well lets hope Microsoft makes a difference in Windows Vista, some of the
new security features are definitely making it looking like must have
upgrade such as LUA, Inbound-Outbound FireWall and virtual registry to
reduce the need for installing certain applications and devices under Admin
account.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You're right, but it is because of the greater variety of viruses and all
> the places in the system that now have to be searched for them. XP has a
> lot more to look through than did Win95 and the virus writers now have a
> broad body of knowledge developed over two decades. It is a never ending
> cat and mouse game.
>

> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When you run any antivirus, it always finds viruses
>> other antivirus programs don't.
>> It will convince you to switch to it, but once you do
>> switch to Norton, your computer gets much slower,
>> some of the applications can't be run, it is very slow
>> catching a virus, that if it can catch it.
>>
>> I always wished those antivirus programs are not so aggressive
>> being on control. I wish they can be installed and have an option
>> to disable them, run them when you need a second antivirus
>> to double check.
>> You were able to do that in mid nineties, but not any more.
>> I tried once and installed ezTrust as the main protection,
>> installed Norton and I disabled it.
>> One time I did get a virus, ezTrust caught it instantly,
>> half an hour later Norton pops up saying I have a virus
>> even though the virus was already removed, and even though
>> Norton was completely disabled.
>>
>> ezTrust was good at one time, but you have to be present
>> when a virus is caught, otherwise it just pops up a message
>> for few seconds and leaves the virus roaming around, until
>> you come and run it manually.
>>
>> That is why I switched to AVG from grisoft.com, they are
>> out of Yugoslavia, little hard to configure, but it is very efficient,
>> unfortunately they don't have a 64 bit yet.
>>
>> "Sean M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eH$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm admittedly surprised at how many people dislike Norton for
>>> antivirus
>>> protection. In my experience it has always picked up and cleaned stuff
>>> that
>>> McAfee and others tended to miss.
>>>
>>> It takes all kinds, I guess.
>>>
>>> -- Sean M
>>>
>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> all

>>> need

Colin Barnhorst

The virtualized registry should be a huge defense against malware escaping
into the system.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well lets hope Microsoft makes a difference in Windows Vista, some of the
> new security features are definitely making it looking like must have
> upgrade such as LUA, Inbound-Outbound FireWall and virtual registry to
> reduce the need for installing certain applications and devices under
> Admin account.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You're right, but it is because of the greater variety of viruses and all
>> the places in the system that now have to be searched for them. XP has a
>> lot more to look through than did Win95 and the virus writers now have a
>> broad body of knowledge developed over two decades. It is a never ending
>> cat and mouse game.
>>

>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> When you run any antivirus, it always finds viruses
>>> other antivirus programs don't.
>>> It will convince you to switch to it, but once you do
>>> switch to Norton, your computer gets much slower,
>>> some of the applications can't be run, it is very slow
>>> catching a virus, that if it can catch it.
>>>
>>> I always wished those antivirus programs are not so aggressive
>>> being on control. I wish they can be installed and have an option
>>> to disable them, run them when you need a second antivirus
>>> to double check.
>>> You were able to do that in mid nineties, but not any more.
>>> I tried once and installed ezTrust as the main protection,
>>> installed Norton and I disabled it.
>>> One time I did get a virus, ezTrust caught it instantly,
>>> half an hour later Norton pops up saying I have a virus
>>> even though the virus was already removed, and even though
>>> Norton was completely disabled.
>>>
>>> ezTrust was good at one time, but you have to be present
>>> when a virus is caught, otherwise it just pops up a message
>>> for few seconds and leaves the virus roaming around, until
>>> you come and run it manually.
>>>
>>> That is why I switched to AVG from grisoft.com, they are
>>> out of Yugoslavia, little hard to configure, but it is very efficient,
>>> unfortunately they don't have a 64 bit yet.
>>>
>>> "Sean M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:eH$(E-Mail Removed)...

William Walker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For those of you who like Norton, they have released the beta of 2006. No
> indication of whether it has x64 support. Good luck, and you'll need even
> better luck if it doesn't work and you have to uninstall it.
>

> https://www-secure.symantec.com/public_beta/index.html

Is it true that the only way to get symantec antivirus for win xp x64 is to
get antivirus 10 corp edition?

Is it possible to get a 1 user license for symantec antivirus 10 corp or
must it be 5 users or more?

Is there no seperate 64 bit antivirus from symantec available for download?

William Walker

Colin Barnhorst

There is not a consumer NAV for x64 yet. The corp ed. is the only one
released. I think Symantec has put out a call for beta testers the consumer
x64 edition.

Computer Associates also has a corp AV for x64 called eTrust AV 7.1. Single
license boxed editions are available for about $50.

"William Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> For those of you who like Norton, they have released the beta of 2006.
>> No indication of whether it has x64 support. Good luck, and you'll need
>> even better luck if it doesn't work and you have to uninstall it.
>>

>> https://www-secure.symantec.com/public_beta/index.html
>>

> Is it true that the only way to get symantec antivirus for win xp x64 is
> to get antivirus 10 corp edition?
>
> Is it possible to get a 1 user license for symantec antivirus 10 corp or
> must it be 5 users or more?
>
> Is there no seperate 64 bit antivirus from symantec available for
> download?
>
> William Walker

John Barnes

e-trust 7.1 OEM, which has a lot of fans here is available for $16 here. Be
aware that it isn't recognized by Windows as AV present, though supposedly
used by Microsoft itself according to multiple posters
http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/deta...productID=1825

"William Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> For those of you who like Norton, they have released the beta of 2006.
>> No indication of whether it has x64 support. Good luck, and you'll need
>> even better luck if it doesn't work and you have to uninstall it.
>>

>> https://www-secure.symantec.com/public_beta/index.html
>>

> Is it true that the only way to get symantec antivirus for win xp x64 is
> to get antivirus 10 corp edition?
>
> Is it possible to get a 1 user license for symantec antivirus 10 corp or
> must it be 5 users or more?
>
> Is there no seperate 64 bit antivirus from symantec available for
> download?
>
> William Walker

Colin Barnhorst

The boxed version is not recognized by the Security Center either. I
muzzled the shield the usual way.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> e-trust 7.1 OEM, which has a lot of fans here is available for $16 here.
> Be aware that it isn't recognized by Windows as AV present, though
> supposedly used by Microsoft itself according to multiple posters
> http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/deta...productID=1825
>

> "William Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> For those of you who like Norton, they have released the beta of 2006.
>>> No indication of whether it has x64 support. Good luck, and you'll need
>>> even better luck if it doesn't work and you have to uninstall it.
>>>

>>> https://www-secure.symantec.com/public_beta/index.html
>>>

>> Is it true that the only way to get symantec antivirus for win xp x64 is
>> to get antivirus 10 corp edition?
>>
>> Is it possible to get a 1 user license for symantec antivirus 10 corp or
>> must it be 5 users or more?
>>
>> Is there no seperate 64 bit antivirus from symantec available for
>> download?
>>
>> William Walker

Torrey Lauer

Even on regular x86 Windows Prof., Windows didn't recognize Trend Micro
PC-cillian. I just told the Security Shield that I had AV and not to
monitor it for me. I knew I was protected and didn't need to be told that
it couldn't find AV on my PC.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The boxed version is not recognized by the Security Center either. I
> muzzled the shield the usual way.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> e-trust 7.1 OEM, which has a lot of fans here is available for $16 here.
>> Be aware that it isn't recognized by Windows as AV present, though
>> supposedly used by Microsoft itself according to multiple posters
>> http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/deta...productID=1825
>>

>> "William Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Is it true that the only way to get symantec antivirus for win xp x64 is
>>> to get antivirus 10 corp edition?
>>>
>>> Is it possible to get a 1 user license for symantec antivirus 10 corp or
>>> must it be 5 users or more?
>>>
>>> Is there no seperate 64 bit antivirus from symantec available for
>>> download?
>>>
>>> William Walker

=?Utf-8?B?amFjayBmcm9zdA==?=

the problem with you people and Norton / Symantec Products is the fact that
you dont know how to use them properly

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Surprising, yes, but I don't try to second guess anyone else's preferences.
>

> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Every infected computer I helped fix, had Norton installed in it.
> > Norton fails to detect viruses and disinfect those computers.
> > All it does is set there, use resources like hell, and scatter files all
> > over the computer.
> > On top of that, some programs gets disabled by the culprit.
> > I don't see anybody can be a fan of such a cluttering big bug.
> >

> > "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> For those of you who like Norton, they have released the beta of 2006.
> >> No indication of whether it has x64 support. Good luck, and you'll need
> >> even better luck if it doesn't work and you have to uninstall it.
> >>

> >> https://www-secure.symantec.com/public_beta/index.html

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, I know how to install them. Take CD from case, grasp carefully at 9 and
3, and bring down sharply across the edge of the desk. (safety glasses on
first, of course.)

Seriously, there are better products that are less pernicious, IMHO.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.