Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual boot xp and x64 login problems.

Dual boot xp and x64 login problems.

=?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=

I had 32bit XP on my first drive and then installed Professional edition XP
64 bit version 2003 on my second drive. The install was smooth.

But I cannot login to my 32 bit XP either with my username or as
administrator and no I have not changed my password been using the same
password for a long time.

Are there any known issues with this? Is there any way to resolve this?

Regards,
Navin.

WordPerfect

Professional edition XP 64 bit version 2003 is for Itanium. Do you mean
Windows XP Professional x64?

"NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|I had 32bit XP on my first drive and then installed Professional edition XP
| 64 bit version 2003 on my second drive. The install was smooth.
|
| But I cannot login to my 32 bit XP either with my username or as
| administrator and no I have not changed my password been using the same
| password for a long time.
|
| Are there any known issues with this? Is there any way to resolve this?
|
| Regards,
| Navin.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

No, he/she is talking about x64 (64-bit), 32 bit Windows cannot run on
Itanium. I would suggest you restart in safe mode on the 32-bit XP and try
changing the password and possibly the username then restart and log back in
normal mode to see if that fixes this issue.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had 32bit XP on my first drive and then installed Professional edition XP
> 64 bit version 2003 on my second drive. The install was smooth.
>
> But I cannot login to my 32 bit XP either with my username or as
> administrator and no I have not changed my password been using the same
> password for a long time.
>
> Are there any known issues with this? Is there any way to resolve this?
>
> Regards,
> Navin.

=?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=

Navin=He

Andre, I tried the safe mode too, but I still cannot login. Even the
Administrator password does not work any more.

Regards,

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> No, he/she is talking about x64 (64-bit), 32 bit Windows cannot run on
> Itanium. I would suggest you restart in safe mode on the 32-bit XP and try
> changing the password and possibly the username then restart and log back in
> normal mode to see if that fixes this issue.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I had 32bit XP on my first drive and then installed Professional edition XP
> > 64 bit version 2003 on my second drive. The install was smooth.
> >
> > But I cannot login to my 32 bit XP either with my username or as
> > administrator and no I have not changed my password been using the same
> > password for a long time.
> >
> > Are there any known issues with this? Is there any way to resolve this?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Navin.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You might have try the Recovery console:

Or you might just have to jump the gun and do a reinstall, but this time,
write down all passwords required.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Navin=He
>
> Andre, I tried the safe mode too, but I still cannot login. Even the
> Administrator password does not work any more.
>
> Regards,
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> No, he/she is talking about x64 (64-bit), 32 bit Windows cannot run on
>> Itanium. I would suggest you restart in safe mode on the 32-bit XP and
>> try
>> changing the password and possibly the username then restart and log back
>> in
>> normal mode to see if that fixes this issue.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I had 32bit XP on my first drive and then installed Professional edition
>> >XP
>> > 64 bit version 2003 on my second drive. The install was smooth.
>> >
>> > But I cannot login to my 32 bit XP either with my username or as
>> > administrator and no I have not changed my password been using the same
>> > password for a long time.
>> >
>> > Are there any known issues with this? Is there any way to resolve this?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Navin.

R. C. White

Hi, Navin.

HOW did you install x64 on your second drive?

The MS way is to simply set your computer to boot from CD, insert the WinXP
CD-ROM, reboot, and follow the prompts. This is true when installing x64 to
a Windows-less computer, or when adding x64 to one where Windows (Win98/ME
or Win2K or 32-bit WinXP - or an earlier copy of WinXP x64) is already
installed. Many users try other ways, which sometimes work and sometimes
don't.

For example, they may disable their first HD before running Setup, so that
it sees only the second HD, which then becomes x64's "System Partition".
X64's Setup puts a new Boot.ini there, along with a new NTLDR and
NTDETECT.COM, rather than updating the versions on the first HD. Or they
use PartitionMagic or some other program to reorganize boot sequences first.

These are just a couple of many variations that users have reported. Which
method did you use?

We can't see your computer, so could you please tell us some basic facts
about it? Such as: make and model of the computer (or the mobo, if you
built it yourself); how many HDs, which interface (SATA, SCSI, IDE or ?),
and how are they partitioned and formatted? And it might help if you post a
copy of your C:\boot.ini.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Navin=He
>
> Andre, I tried the safe mode too, but I still cannot login. Even the
> Administrator password does not work any more.
>
> Regards,
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> No, he/she is talking about x64 (64-bit), 32 bit Windows cannot run on
>> Itanium. I would suggest you restart in safe mode on the 32-bit XP and
>> try
>> changing the password and possibly the username then restart and log back
>> in
>> normal mode to see if that fixes this issue.
>> --
>> Andre
>>
>> "NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I had 32bit XP on my first drive and then installed Professional edition
>> >XP
>> > 64 bit version 2003 on my second drive. The install was smooth.
>> >
>> > But I cannot login to my 32 bit XP either with my username or as
>> > administrator and no I have not changed my password been using the same
>> > password for a long time.
>> >
>> > Are there any known issues with this? Is there any way to resolve this?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Navin.

=?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=

Hello RC,
I did not disable the primary drive. I did a cd install and chose the
second disk for the install. Chose a quick format (ntfs). The install was
smooth. Just to clarify again if I was not clear. I cannot login to the 32bit
version anymore as administrator or any user. The 64 bit version is fine.
Also the passwords are the same on both. But I get logon denied incorrect
username/password.

Andre,
I did the recovery console from a recovery partion I have, after three
failures it kicked me out.

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional 32bit" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Sysinfo output.
***********
OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition
Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 1 Build 3790
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
Activation Status Activation Pending (28 days remaining)
System Name NB918531
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model hp workstation xw8200
System Type x64-based PC
Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 786B8 v2.02, 6/2/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory D:\WINDOWS
System Directory D:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.2.3790.1830
(srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)"
User Name ........
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 4,095.29 MB
Available Physical Memory 3.43 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.75 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.41 GB
Page File Space 2.00 GB
Page File D:\pagefile.sys

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Navin.
>
> HOW did you install x64 on your second drive?
>
> The MS way is to simply set your computer to boot from CD, insert the WinXP
> CD-ROM, reboot, and follow the prompts. This is true when installing x64 to
> a Windows-less computer, or when adding x64 to one where Windows (Win98/ME
> or Win2K or 32-bit WinXP - or an earlier copy of WinXP x64) is already
> installed. Many users try other ways, which sometimes work and sometimes
> don't.
>
> For example, they may disable their first HD before running Setup, so that
> it sees only the second HD, which then becomes x64's "System Partition".
> X64's Setup puts a new Boot.ini there, along with a new NTLDR and
> NTDETECT.COM, rather than updating the versions on the first HD. Or they
> use PartitionMagic or some other program to reorganize boot sequences first.
>
> These are just a couple of many variations that users have reported. Which
> method did you use?
>
> We can't see your computer, so could you please tell us some basic facts
> about it? Such as: make and model of the computer (or the mobo, if you
> built it yourself); how many HDs, which interface (SATA, SCSI, IDE or ?),
> and how are they partitioned and formatted? And it might help if you post a
> copy of your C:\boot.ini.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Navin=He
> >
> > Andre, I tried the safe mode too, but I still cannot login. Even the
> > Administrator password does not work any more.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
> >
> >> No, he/she is talking about x64 (64-bit), 32 bit Windows cannot run on
> >> Itanium. I would suggest you restart in safe mode on the 32-bit XP and
> >> try
> >> changing the password and possibly the username then restart and log back
> >> in
> >> normal mode to see if that fixes this issue.
> >> --
> >> Andre
> >>
> >> "NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

R. C. White

Hi, Navin.

If you were around back in MS-DOS days, you should remember that, when we
wanted to partition and format the hard drive, we booted from a floppy
diskette and used FDISK and Format.exe. Later, when started creating
multiple partitions, if we wanted to format C:, we still had to boot from an
MS-DOS floppy. Even MS-DOS could not format the partition where it was
operating from. The classic analogy was to "saw off the branch you are
sittiing on" or to "obey an order to commit suicide".

So, now, WinXP's Disk Management cannot format either the boot volume (which
holds \Windows and runs all of WinXP) or the System Partition (typically
C, which runs the whole current boot session! That's why we boot from the
CD, not from C:, when we need to format C:. And that's why we install WinXP
by booting from the CD, not from C:.

Thanks for the info you provided about yor system. However, you still did
not tell us how many HDs, what interface (SATA?), and how they are
partitioned. From your boot.ini, it appears that you have x64 in the first
volume of your first HD (rdisk(0)partition(1)) and x86 in the first volume
of your second HD (rdisk(1)partition(1)). I assume this version of boot.ini
is the one in C:\. You might have a dozen boot.ini files scattered around
your computer, but only the one in the Root of the System Partition matters.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> [...]
>> method did you use?
>>
>> We can't see your computer, so could you please tell us some basic facts
>> about it? Such as: make and model of the computer (or the mobo, if you
>> built it yourself); how many HDs, which interface (SATA, SCSI, IDE or ?),
>> and how are they partitioned and formatted? And it might help if you
>> post a
>> copy of your C:\boot.ini.
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>>
>> "NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Navin=He
>> >
>> > Andre, I tried the safe mode too, but I still cannot login. Even the
>> > Administrator password does not work any more.

=?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=

Hello RC,

> That's why we boot from the
> CD, not from C:, when we need to format C:. And that's why we install WinXP
> by booting from the CD, not from C:.

I am not clear what you are trying to say or what you have inferred from
what I stated. Not sure why you gave me the ms-dos and cd install analogy. I
chose to format the new unused second disk (now d:\ ) before installing x64
on it, as part of the install process.

> Thanks for the info you provided about yor system. However, you still did
> not tell us how many HDs, what interface (SATA?), and how they are
> partitioned.

I have two SATA matrox drives 250G each. On C:\ (the first disk) is the x86
install, on D: second disk I chose to install x64 XP. Each disk holds one
partition only.

> From your boot.ini, it appears that you have x64 in the first
> volume of your first HD (rdisk(0)partition(1)) and x86 in the first volume
> of your second HD (rdisk(1)partition(1)).

No. Please see again rdisk(1)partition(1) is x64. Which is my D:\

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional 32bit" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

The boot information I have provided is from right clicking on "my computer"
icon and choosing advanced options tab->startup and recovery->edit

"R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]
> >> use PartitionMagic or some other program to reorganize boot sequences
> >> first.
> >>
> >> These are just a couple of many variations that users have reported.
> >> Which
> >> method did you use?
> >>
> >> We can't see your computer, so could you please tell us some basic facts
> >> about it? Such as: make and model of the computer (or the mobo, if you
> >> built it yourself); how many HDs, which interface (SATA, SCSI, IDE or ?),
> >> and how are they partitioned and formatted? And it might help if you
> >> post a
> >> copy of your C:\boot.ini.
> >>
> >> RC
> >> --
> >> R. C. White, CPA
> >> San Marcos, TX
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP
> >>
> >> "NRB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

bp@home.net

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:43:04 -0700, NRB
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello RC,

What happens when you try to sign on? What is the message ?
Is this PC on a network and if so does it have a domain controller ?

and BTW their are utilities out there that will allow you to change
the administrator or user password. Sorry can't remember the name
right now but maybe you could do a google search.