Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

What type of sound card is this? It could possibly be the cause of the
error, I would try get the latest driver for x64 for that sound card and
install it in safe mode and see if it will boot properly in safe mode.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK...I tried to have it continue booting so I get the error and it didnt
> work. I was however able to boot to safemode. The graphics card seems to
> be
> installed correctly. The only thing that seemed to not have the correct
> driver was the sound card. Any suggestions as to why I cant get to the
> desktop when I boot up normally?
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> When your system finishes BIOS POST, immediately press F8. Several times,
>> if
>> necessary. You should get a boot options menu. Select the option to NOT
>> immediately restart on error, and continue the boot process. Now, tell us
>> what the error message is that you'll see on your blue screen when it
>> fails.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Keith wrote:
>> > Hi, Here is my problem. I bought xp64 to instal on a computer that has
>> > 64 bit processor and the installation seems to go fine all the way till
>> > the end. Then when I reboot the machine to start it up the Windows
>> > screen
>> > shows as if it is loading then all of a sudden the monitor displays "No
>> > Signal" and goes blank. I am assuming there is a conflicting driver or
>> > the wrong driver all together. Any idea how to go about fixing this?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Keith,
What about hitting F8 and choosing VGA mode? That uses the installed
driver however the default video settings are used and I think acceleration
is turned off.
Does the video card have more than one output? It may be trying to output
via one of the other ports if the card has more than one output.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<thread-index: AcXZkY6hmXr5Xy9tSEO7Yu/Nl8Vq8g==
<From: "=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 E
<Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:26:03 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
<
<> When your system finishes BIOS POST, immediately press F8. Several
times, if
<> necessary. You should get a boot options menu. Select the option to NOT
<> immediately restart on error, and continue the boot process. Now, tell
us
<> what the error message is that you'll see on your blue screen when it
fails.
<>
<> --
<> Charlie.
<> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
<>
<> Keith wrote:
<> > Hi, Here is my problem. I bought xp64 to instal on a computer that
has a
<> > 64 bit processor and the installation seems to go fine all the way till
<> > the end. Then when I reboot the machine to start it up the Windows
screen
<> > shows as if it is loading then all of a sudden the monitor displays "No
<> > Signal" and goes blank. I am assuming there is a conflicting driver or
<> > the wrong driver all together. Any idea how to go about fixing this?
<> >
<> > Thanks in advance.
<> >
<> >
<> >
<> > "Katie Skibinski" wrote:
<> >
<> >> New Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64
Edition
<> >>
<> >> Columnist Charlie Russel answers questions about Windows XP
Professional
<> >> x64 Edition that have appeared frequently in the new (and very active)
<> >> Microsoft Windows 64-bit Newsgroup.
<> >>
<> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...el_x64faq.mspx
<> >>
<> >> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
<> >>
<> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
<> >> rights.
<> >>
<> >> --
<> >> Katie Skibinski
<> >> Site Manager, vendor [MS]
<>
<>
<>
<

=?Utf-8?B?QW1pcg==?=

Can I run Windows XP Professional X64 Edition on my Intel Pentium4 3.2G laptop?

Charlie Russel - MVP

No way to tell from that description. Intel doesn't make it easy.

The best way to find out what processor you have, and what its
specifications are, is to use the Intel Processor Identification Utility,
available from the Intel site:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Amir wrote:
> Can I run Windows XP Professional X64 Edition on my Intel Pentium4 3.2G
> laptop?

=?Utf-8?B?UmFm?=

I can not install Windows x64 using the .ISO file downloaded from Microsoft's
website. When I boot from the cd I am taken to the D.O.S. screen and left in
drive A:\ as if I were trying to boot an O/S from drive A:\. I tried using
isobuster to covert to user data and access the files and it works, however,
only while in windows. The BIOS configuration is correct. I can boot with
other O/S's just fine. Any suggestions? I can not order an original cd
since Microsoft does not ship to U.S. addresses in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico)

John Barnes

You need to get to know Andre's aunt.

"Raf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can not install Windows x64 using the .ISO file downloaded from
>Microsoft's
> website. When I boot from the cd I am taken to the D.O.S. screen and left
> in
> drive A:\ as if I were trying to boot an O/S from drive A:\. I tried
> using
> isobuster to covert to user data and access the files and it works,
> however,
> only while in windows. The BIOS configuration is correct. I can boot
> with
> other O/S's just fine. Any suggestions? I can not order an original cd
> since Microsoft does not ship to U.S. addresses in the Caribbean (Puerto
> Rico)

Charlie Russel - MVP

You need to burn the ISO as an image, not copy it to the CD.
For excellent instructions on how to write an ISO file to a CD correctly, I
recommend:
http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Raf wrote:
> I can not install Windows x64 using the .ISO file downloaded from
> Microsoft's website. When I boot from the cd I am taken to the D.O.S.
> screen and left in drive A:\ as if I were trying to boot an O/S from
> drive A:\. I tried using isobuster to covert to user data and access the
> files and it works, however, only while in windows. The BIOS
> configuration is correct. I can boot with other O/S's just fine. Any
> suggestions? I can not order an original cd since Microsoft does not
> ship to U.S. addresses in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico)

=?Utf-8?B?UmFm?=

Thanks. Will try that.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> You need to burn the ISO as an image, not copy it to the CD.
> For excellent instructions on how to write an ISO file to a CD correctly, I
> recommend:
> http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Raf wrote:
> > I can not install Windows x64 using the .ISO file downloaded from
> > Microsoft's website. When I boot from the cd I am taken to the D.O.S.
> > screen and left in drive A:\ as if I were trying to boot an O/S from
> > drive A:\. I tried using isobuster to covert to user data and access the
> > files and it works, however, only while in windows. The BIOS
> > configuration is correct. I can boot with other O/S's just fine. Any
> > suggestions? I can not order an original cd since Microsoft does not
> > ship to U.S. addresses in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico)

=?Utf-8?B?UmFm?=

Hello Charlie,

The .ISO file was successfully burned, now I have another problem. The
product key issued by Microsoft for the trial version of x64 does not work.
I have verified the key atleast 10 times and nothing. Where can I get
another working license?

Rick

Just go back and register again for the Trial. MS will then send you
another key.