Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > USB 2.0 External Drive and BSOD

USB 2.0 External Drive and BSOD

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=

I have an external hard drive with a 160GB drive inside, I bought it from
newegg, here's a link to it:

My problem is that whenever Windows x64 tries to install the device, I get a
Blue Screen and immediate reboot. This happens both when the PC is booted and
I turn on the drive, also when booting up with the drive on.

The thing that confuses me about this is that my USB Flash drive (512MB)
works just fine, along with a USB-Bus powered 2.5" 20gb Hard drive enclosure.
Also, the problem drive in question works just fine under Linux.

Any ideas?

NNBXX

This is the sign of a defective enclosure, even if it's a new one. Windows
x64 has nothing to do with it. If your enclosure is still under warranty,
demand the exchange ASAP, or buy a different enclosure.

"Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an external hard drive with a 160GB drive inside, I bought it from
> newegg, here's a link to it:
>
> My problem is that whenever Windows x64 tries to install the device, I get
> Blue Screen and immediate reboot. This happens both when the PC is booted
> and
> I turn on the drive, also when booting up with the drive on.
>
> The thing that confuses me about this is that my USB Flash drive (512MB)
> works just fine, along with a USB-Bus powered 2.5" 20gb Hard drive
> enclosure.
> Also, the problem drive in question works just fine under Linux.
>
> Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=

I strongly do not believe that the enclosure is defective. This problem
occurred the same time I upgraded to XP x64, also it works fine on the same
computer under Linux and on another computer with XP 32-bit.

"NNBXX" wrote:

> This is the sign of a defective enclosure, even if it's a new one. Windows
> x64 has nothing to do with it. If your enclosure is still under warranty,
> demand the exchange ASAP, or buy a different enclosure.
>
> "Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have an external hard drive with a 160GB drive inside, I bought it from
> > newegg, here's a link to it:
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145343
> >
> > My problem is that whenever Windows x64 tries to install the device, I get
> > Blue Screen and immediate reboot. This happens both when the PC is booted
> > and
> > I turn on the drive, also when booting up with the drive on.
> >
> > The thing that confuses me about this is that my USB Flash drive (512MB)
> > works just fine, along with a USB-Bus powered 2.5" 20gb Hard drive
> > enclosure.
> > Also, the problem drive in question works just fine under Linux.
> >
> > Any ideas?

NNBXX

I strongly *do* believe that your enclosure is defective. If it weren't, it
would work fine under x64, like *all* USB 2.0 external enclosures do,
without the need for any driver. So, the x64-driver issue has no concern
with your BSOD and reboot here.

"Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I strongly do not believe that the enclosure is defective. This problem
> occurred the same time I upgraded to XP x64, also it works fine on the
> same
> computer under Linux and on another computer with XP 32-bit.
>
> "NNBXX" wrote:
>
>> This is the sign of a defective enclosure, even if it's a new one.
>> Windows
>> x64 has nothing to do with it. If your enclosure is still under warranty,
>> demand the exchange ASAP, or buy a different enclosure.
>>
>> "Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have an external hard drive with a 160GB drive inside, I bought it
>> >from
>> > newegg, here's a link to it:
>> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145343
>> >
>> > My problem is that whenever Windows x64 tries to install the device, I
>> > get
>> > Blue Screen and immediate reboot. This happens both when the PC is
>> > booted
>> > and
>> > I turn on the drive, also when booting up with the drive on.
>> >
>> > The thing that confuses me about this is that my USB Flash drive
>> > (512MB)
>> > works just fine, along with a USB-Bus powered 2.5" 20gb Hard drive
>> > enclosure.
>> > Also, the problem drive in question works just fine under Linux.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

Colin Barnhorst

That it worked under 32bits is no guarantee that it is not defective under
64bits.

"Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I strongly do not believe that the enclosure is defective. This problem
> occurred the same time I upgraded to XP x64, also it works fine on the
> same
> computer under Linux and on another computer with XP 32-bit.
>
> "NNBXX" wrote:
>
>> This is the sign of a defective enclosure, even if it's a new one.
>> Windows
>> x64 has nothing to do with it. If your enclosure is still under warranty,
>> demand the exchange ASAP, or buy a different enclosure.
>>
>> "Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have an external hard drive with a 160GB drive inside, I bought it
>> >from
>> > newegg, here's a link to it:
>> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145343
>> >
>> > My problem is that whenever Windows x64 tries to install the device, I
>> > get
>> > Blue Screen and immediate reboot. This happens both when the PC is
>> > booted
>> > and
>> > I turn on the drive, also when booting up with the drive on.
>> >
>> > The thing that confuses me about this is that my USB Flash drive
>> > (512MB)
>> > works just fine, along with a USB-Bus powered 2.5" 20gb Hard drive
>> > enclosure.
>> > Also, the problem drive in question works just fine under Linux.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

NNBXX

That is exactly what I mean (plus Linux). Thanks for pointing out this for
me

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That it worked under 32bits is no guarantee that it is not defective under
> 64bits.
>
> "Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I strongly do not believe that the enclosure is defective. This problem
>> occurred the same time I upgraded to XP x64, also it works fine on the
>> same
>> computer under Linux and on another computer with XP 32-bit.
>>
>> "NNBXX" wrote:
>>
>>> This is the sign of a defective enclosure, even if it's a new one.
>>> Windows
>>> x64 has nothing to do with it. If your enclosure is still under
>>> warranty,
>>> demand the exchange ASAP, or buy a different enclosure.
>>>
>>> "Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Rick

You're entitled to believe anything you want, but I had exactly the same
problem and replaced the non-working enclosures with a different brand
and they work exactly as they are supposed to!

Mike W wrote:
> I strongly do not believe that the enclosure is defective. This problem
> occurred the same time I upgraded to XP x64, also it works fine on the same
> computer under Linux and on another computer with XP 32-bit.
>
> "NNBXX" wrote:
>

>>This is the sign of a defective enclosure, even if it's a new one. Windows
>>x64 has nothing to do with it. If your enclosure is still under warranty,
>>demand the exchange ASAP, or buy a different enclosure.
>>
>>"Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have an external hard drive with a 160GB drive inside, I bought it from
>>>newegg, here's a link to it:
>>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145343
>>>
>>>My problem is that whenever Windows x64 tries to install the device, I get
>>>Blue Screen and immediate reboot. This happens both when the PC is booted
>>>and
>>>I turn on the drive, also when booting up with the drive on.
>>>
>>>The thing that confuses me about this is that my USB Flash drive (512MB)
>>>works just fine, along with a USB-Bus powered 2.5" 20gb Hard drive
>>>enclosure.
>>>Also, the problem drive in question works just fine under Linux.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?

Dennis Pack

I know the it sounds odd that the enclosure could be the problem. I have
various enclosures, one of which would BSOD with a hard drive in it but
worked perfectly with a DVD burner in it.

"Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an external hard drive with a 160GB drive inside, I bought it from
> newegg, here's a link to it:
>
> My problem is that whenever Windows x64 tries to install the device, I get
> Blue Screen and immediate reboot. This happens both when the PC is booted
> and
> I turn on the drive, also when booting up with the drive on.
>
> The thing that confuses me about this is that my USB Flash drive (512MB)
> works just fine, along with a USB-Bus powered 2.5" 20gb Hard drive
> enclosure.
> Also, the problem drive in question works just fine under Linux.
>
> Any ideas?

Colin Barnhorst

My response was to Mike W. I know the indentation is tricky on the eyes
sometimes.

"NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is exactly what I mean (plus Linux). Thanks for pointing out this for
> me
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That it worked under 32bits is no guarantee that it is not defective
>> under 64bits.
>>
>> "Mike W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I strongly do not believe that the enclosure is defective. This problem
>>> occurred the same time I upgraded to XP x64, also it works fine on the
>>> same
>>> computer under Linux and on another computer with XP 32-bit.

NNBXX

I know that your message was to Mike, and not to me. But as Mike W doesn't
want to admit his enclosure's failure, and doesn't seem to appreciate our
help neither (because we don't write what he would like to read), I found
your original response very useful

is. But the point is, you
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...