Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Microsoft Access ODBC Driver for Oracle

Microsoft Access ODBC Driver for Oracle

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyY2k=?=

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to an Oracle db using the Oracle driver (OraHome92)
and have a dual. Each processor is 32 bit--but I'm using Windows XP 64 bit.
I've moved the 32 bit ODBC Administrator Tool in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 over the
64 bit ODBC Admistrator Tool. The connection tests fine in the Administrator
Tool and using SQL--but when I try to connect using Access, I get an error
indicating that ODBC called failed and that the TNS: could not resolve a
service names. The TNSNames ora file is in the Oracle\network\admin
directory. I have tried Oracle 8i, 9i and 10g! If anybody has any ideas or
suggestions, they would be greatly welcomed!!

Thank you.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You need native 64-bit drivers for ODBC, you could check the
microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr group and post a query about this,
maybe they will give you some information about when support is coming.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Marci" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to connect to an Oracle db using the Oracle driver (OraHome92)
> and have a dual. Each processor is 32 bit--but I'm using Windows XP 64
> bit.
> I've moved the 32 bit ODBC Administrator Tool in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 over
> the
> 64 bit ODBC Admistrator Tool. The connection tests fine in the
> Administrator
> Tool and using SQL--but when I try to connect using Access, I get an error
> indicating that ODBC called failed and that the TNS: could not resolve a
> service names. The TNSNames ora file is in the Oracle\network\admin
> directory. I have tried Oracle 8i, 9i and 10g! If anybody has any ideas or
> suggestions, they would be greatly welcomed!!
>
> Thank you.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Access is a 32-bit program, so it is using 32-bit ODBC. I would suggest that
the best place to resolve this is through the Oracle community support
venues. In my experience, some one has probably dealt with this by now, and
has either figured out that there isn't a solution, yet, or can point at the
solution that has been found.

You'll need to be very clear about what is where. Your message to us lacked
some clarity on where Oracle resides, what version of SQL*Net is running
where, etc. Also, copying 32-bit ODBC over the top of 64-bit ODBC is NOT a
good idea.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Marci wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to connect to an Oracle db using the Oracle driver
> (OraHome92) and have a dual. Each processor is 32 bit--but I'm using
> Windows XP 64 bit. I've moved the 32 bit ODBC Administrator Tool in
> C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 over the 64 bit ODBC Admistrator Tool. The
> connection tests fine in the Administrator Tool and using SQL--but
> when I try to connect using Access, I get an error indicating that
> ODBC called failed and that the TNS: could not resolve a service
> names. The TNSNames ora file is in the Oracle\network\admin
> directory. I have tried Oracle 8i, 9i and 10g! If anybody has any
> ideas or suggestions, they would be greatly welcomed!!
>
> Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyY2k=?=

Thanks so much!. I've posted to it the Access.odbcclientsvr group.

Also, I had trouble installing the 64 bit drivers. (I thoought this my be
because both my processors are 32 bit.)

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> You need native 64-bit drivers for ODBC, you could check the
> microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr group and post a query about this,
> maybe they will give you some information about when support is coming.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Marci" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to connect to an Oracle db using the Oracle driver (OraHome92)
> > and have a dual. Each processor is 32 bit--but I'm using Windows XP 64
> > bit.
> > I've moved the 32 bit ODBC Administrator Tool in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 over
> > the
> > 64 bit ODBC Admistrator Tool. The connection tests fine in the
> > Administrator
> > Tool and using SQL--but when I try to connect using Access, I get an error
> > indicating that ODBC called failed and that the TNS: could not resolve a
> > service names. The TNSNames ora file is in the Oracle\network\admin
> > directory. I have tried Oracle 8i, 9i and 10g! If anybody has any ideas or
> > suggestions, they would be greatly welcomed!!
> >
> > Thank you.

Sean M

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> where, etc. Also, copying 32-bit ODBC over the top of 64-bit ODBC is NOT a
> good idea.

Never mind how obtuse/draconian the Oracle Installer application is about
replacing stuff.

-- Sean M, who doesn't appreciate complex installers

Charlie Russel - MVP

No comment.