Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows seeing Printer as USB Mass Storage

Windows seeing Printer as USB Mass Storage

Tony Sperling

Hi, perhaps not strictly a 64bit question, but does anyone know why turning
off my printer (HP) triggers a warning that USB Mass Storage has been
removed prematurely?

Regards, Tony. . .

Bill

If your printer has a card reader, then make sure you click on the "safely
remove hardware" icon in the system tray. Then turn off your printer. The
card reader is a mass storage device.

Bill Sharpe

news:edVm%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, perhaps not strictly a 64bit question, but does anyone know why
> turning
> off my printer (HP) triggers a warning that USB Mass Storage has been
> removed prematurely?
>
> Regards, Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Ah, yes of course! How logical - and how inconvenient!

Great many thanks Bill, I can sleep quietly henceforward.

Tony. . .

"Bill" <eschol@remove_this.shinbiro.com> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your printer has a card reader, then make sure you click on the "safely
> remove hardware" icon in the system tray. Then turn off your printer.
> The card reader is a mass storage device.
>
> Bill Sharpe

> news:edVm%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, perhaps not strictly a 64bit question, but does anyone know why
>> turning
>> off my printer (HP) triggers a warning that USB Mass Storage has been
>> removed prematurely?
>>
>> Regards, Tony. . .

R. C. White

Hi, Tony.

Slightly more inconvenient - but perhaps helpful in your case...

In Disk Management, right-click on the USB "drive", then click Properties.
On the Policies tab, you can choose between Optimize for quick removal and
Optimize for performance.

I've not been able to figure out exactly what this does, but you might try
whichever one you've not been using for each device.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ah, yes of course! How logical - and how inconvenient!
>
> Great many thanks Bill, I can sleep quietly henceforward.
>
> Tony. . .
>

> "Bill" <eschol@remove_this.shinbiro.com> wrote in message
> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If your printer has a card reader, then make sure you click on the
>> "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray. Then turn off your
>> printer. The card reader is a mass storage device.
>>
>> Bill Sharpe
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:edVm%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, perhaps not strictly a 64bit question, but does anyone know why
>>> turning
>>> off my printer (HP) triggers a warning that USB Mass Storage has been
>>> removed prematurely?
>>>
>>> Regards, Tony. . .

Colin Barnhorst

I suspect if determines how frequently the write buffer is flushed to disk.

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Tony.
>
> Slightly more inconvenient - but perhaps helpful in your case...
>
> In Disk Management, right-click on the USB "drive", then click Properties.
> On the Policies tab, you can choose between Optimize for quick removal and
> Optimize for performance.
>
> I've not been able to figure out exactly what this does, but you might try
> whichever one you've not been using for each device.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ah, yes of course! How logical - and how inconvenient!
>>
>> Great many thanks Bill, I can sleep quietly henceforward.
>>
>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Bill" <eschol@remove_this.shinbiro.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If your printer has a card reader, then make sure you click on the
>>> "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray. Then turn off your
>>> printer. The card reader is a mass storage device.
>>>
>>> Bill Sharpe
>>>
>>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:edVm%(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Yes - YEs - YES! That sounds good. I've gotten used to following procedures
when removing the key-ring drives, and it doesn't bother me any more - but
powering down my printer? that is a bit over the top. A one-time
inconvenience. . .I will certainly look in to this, and greate many thanks
to you R.C.!

Tony. . .