Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New ISP

New ISP

Bruce Chambers

dragonbeat wrote:
> yes i do use aol at the moment ,but for the coming installation of
> windows x64 i'll be looking for a new isp.the reason im asking is to
> find out which one will work with x64 ( drivers etc ).so im hoping to
> receive my copy of x64 before august 6 ( the date i can migrate to
> another isp )and be to set myself up ready with another isp.

A true ISP requires no "drivers" or other software be installed on the
local computer, so there's no compatibility issue. All one need do is
configure one's networking features (whether dial-up or broadband) to
connect to the ISP's servers. The ISP will be able to provide precise
instructions. Simply look in your local telephone directory, or ask a
few of your neighbors which ISP(s) they use.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

John Barnes

I am pretty sure CompuServe is gone, and Earthlink has really gone downhill
since they merged with Mindspring. I tried them last year and they were
putting banner ads on websites I pay not to have them.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Earthlink is still around, btw, I just remembered them, Earthlink, AOL,
> Compuserv, AT&T and MSN
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Most of those are gone; reorganised, bought out or planted.

>> news:%23LG$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Nostalgia I guess.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23MR%(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

PeoplePC, Netzero and Juno have overhead programs like AOL I don't want.
Just give me and ISP where I can set up a new connection in windows and have
a blank start page.

"J. Bush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OA06XN$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, here in Florida, I see local advertisements every day of the week
> for People PC, Netzero, Verizon and many others.
>
> They must be doing business in other places as well.
>
> J.Bush Governor
> Hallatassee, Florida
>
> Its Good To Have a Brother In High Places!

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Most of those are gone; reorganised, bought out or planted.

>> news:%23LG$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Nostalgia I guess.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23MR%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Virtually every other ISP except AOL will be fine. You don't need a driver to
have an ISP. The ISP will provide precise instructions -- just tell them you
have "Windows XP", and worry about it. If it's DSL, you'll probably need to
set up PPoE, if it's cable, probably just DHCP.

1.) do NOT choose any DSL/Cable modem that is plugged in to your computer
directly.
2.) do NOT connect to it via USB
3.) DO use ethernet to connect
4.) DO use a standalone DSL/Cable Modem.
5.) Consider getting an "internet gateway" (ie, router) to connect to your
ISP. This will allow you to have multiple computers connected to a single IP
address.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

dragonbeat wrote:
> yes i do use aol at the moment ,but for the coming installation of
> windows x64 i'll be looking for a new isp.the reason im asking is to
> find out which one will work with x64 ( drivers etc ).so im hoping to
> receive my copy of x64 before august 6 ( the date i can migrate to
> another isp )and be to set myself up ready with another isp.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Thank goodness none of them don't work in the Caribbean, I wish MSN did
though.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Virtually every other ISP except AOL will be fine. You don't need a driver
> to have an ISP. The ISP will provide precise instructions -- just tell
> them you have "Windows XP", and worry about it. If it's DSL, you'll
> probably need to set up PPoE, if it's cable, probably just DHCP.
>
> 1.) do NOT choose any DSL/Cable modem that is plugged in to your computer
> directly.
> 2.) do NOT connect to it via USB
> 3.) DO use ethernet to connect
> 4.) DO use a standalone DSL/Cable Modem.
> 5.) Consider getting an "internet gateway" (ie, router) to connect to your
> ISP. This will allow you to have multiple computers connected to a single
> IP address.
>

> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> dragonbeat wrote:
>> yes i do use aol at the moment ,but for the coming installation of
>> windows x64 i'll be looking for a new isp.the reason im asking is to
>> find out which one will work with x64 ( drivers etc ).so im hoping to
>> receive my copy of x64 before august 6 ( the date i can migrate to
>> another isp )and be to set myself up ready with another isp.

John Barnes

Funny, it doesn't even work here in eastern Washington. Anyway I hate that
program they try to get you to install, but you can pay three times what
others charge and set it up manually.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank goodness none of them don't work in the Caribbean, I wish MSN did
> though.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Virtually every other ISP except AOL will be fine. You don't need a
>> driver to have an ISP. The ISP will provide precise instructions -- just
>> tell them you have "Windows XP", and worry about it. If it's DSL, you'll
>> probably need to set up PPoE, if it's cable, probably just DHCP.
>>
>> 1.) do NOT choose any DSL/Cable modem that is plugged in to your computer
>> directly.
>> 2.) do NOT connect to it via USB
>> 3.) DO use ethernet to connect
>> 4.) DO use a standalone DSL/Cable Modem.
>> 5.) Consider getting an "internet gateway" (ie, router) to connect to
>> your ISP. This will allow you to have multiple computers connected to a
>> single IP address.
>>

>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> ======================
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> dragonbeat wrote:
>>> yes i do use aol at the moment ,but for the coming installation of
>>> windows x64 i'll be looking for a new isp.the reason im asking is to
>>> find out which one will work with x64 ( drivers etc ).so im hoping to
>>> receive my copy of x64 before august 6 ( the date i can migrate to
>>> another isp )and be to set myself up ready with another isp.

R. C. White

Hi, Dragonbeat.

Must you use a Big-Boy ISP? I've been using a hometown ISP ever since a
local college boy was the first to bring the Internet to San Marcos in 1995.
The little ISP's have been bought out by bigger ones, and I now use the
(current) survivor, which is a large local ISP (Grande Communications, based
here in San Marcos, but serviing an expanding territory with both cable and
ADSL - which is what I use). I did have to re-enter my connecton info (IP#,
DNS addresses, etc.) after installing WinXP x64, just as I did after each
installation and reinstallation of 32-bit Windows, but my DSL modem "just
works" with x64; I guess whatever drivers it needs are in x64. My EPoX mobo
has built-in 1GB Ethernet and the modem is from Westell.

Your ISP does not have to be world-wide or even nationwide, or someone that
anybody else has ever heard of. Unless you want all that "added content"
that I never look at anyhow. I do have MSN, but I reach it through my
always-on Grande connection. AOL, CompuServe - and probably others - can
also be reached this way if you really want to see what they offer.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"dragonbeat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> yes i do use aol at the moment ,but for the coming installation of
> windows x64 i'll be looking for a new isp.the reason im asking is to
> find out which one will work with x64 ( drivers etc ).so im hoping to
> receive my copy of x64 before august 6 ( the date i can migrate to
> another isp )and be to set myself up ready with another isp.
>

> --
> dragonbeat

Kevin Panzke

I'm using Comcast High Speed Internet (4 Mbps Download, 384 Kbps Upload),
and I love it 100%!