Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > TAP Installation

TAP Installation

MikeSa

Well I finally received my TAP cd via UPS on Thursday. I always hear that
the trial version is the exact same as the final release so I thought I
would share a couple of interesting tidbits.

I did a clean in install on an existing partition that had the trial
version. The first thing that struck me was that it took the TAP disk almost
2 hours to format the 40gig partition and install. The trial version did not
take nearly that long maybe 45 minutes total.

The next thing is that the trial version seemed to take a long time to
render some web sites, for example it could take up to a minute to load
usatoday on a 5MBPS cable connection whereas the TAP install handles those
same sites as well and as fast as my old XP32.

Any thoughts on why the difference?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Did you upgrade from a beta to the Trial? How long have you been using the
Trial, did you empty your temporary internet files folder? Defragged before
you attempted the installation of the TAP version of XP Pro x64? You could
have also done a upgrade from Trial to TAP.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"MikeSa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I finally received my TAP cd via UPS on Thursday. I always hear that
> the trial version is the exact same as the final release so I thought I
> would share a couple of interesting tidbits.
>
> I did a clean in install on an existing partition that had the trial
> version. The first thing that struck me was that it took the TAP disk
> almost 2 hours to format the 40gig partition and install. The trial
> version did not take nearly that long maybe 45 minutes total.
>
> The next thing is that the trial version seemed to take a long time to
> render some web sites, for example it could take up to a minute to load
> usatoday on a 5MBPS cable connection whereas the TAP install handles those
> same sites as well and as fast as my old XP32.
>
> Any thoughts on why the difference?

MikeSa

The trial was a clean install also. I have been using the trial since it
first became available for download.
I know I could have done an upgrade but I just decided to do a clean
install. I don't see what empting the temporary internet files folder has do
do with the installation as I chose to format the partition to make sure
nothing remained on it

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you upgrade from a beta to the Trial? How long have you been using the
> Trial, did you empty your temporary internet files folder? Defragged
> before you attempted the installation of the TAP version of XP Pro x64?
> You could have also done a upgrade from Trial to TAP.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "MikeSa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well I finally received my TAP cd via UPS on Thursday. I always hear that
>> the trial version is the exact same as the final release so I thought I
>> would share a couple of interesting tidbits.
>>
>> I did a clean in install on an existing partition that had the trial
>> version. The first thing that struck me was that it took the TAP disk
>> almost 2 hours to format the 40gig partition and install. The trial
>> version did not take nearly that long maybe 45 minutes total.
>>
>> The next thing is that the trial version seemed to take a long time to
>> render some web sites, for example it could take up to a minute to load
>> usatoday on a 5MBPS cable connection whereas the TAP install handles
>> those same sites as well and as fast as my old XP32.
>>
>> Any thoughts on why the difference?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You said surfing the net was slow, I meant did you clean the Temporary
Internet Files folder when you using the Trial. I don't know why Trial would
be different from TAP and I don't think they are. Sometimes software will
work good one minute then it does not, the next, it seems to be a similar
case here.