Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Large SATA hard drive (250 gig) - XP64

Reply
Thread Tools

Large SATA hard drive (250 gig) - XP64

 
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
Hey all,

I have a new problem - After I installed XP 32-bit and then went back to XP
64-bit, all of a sudden my hard drive is limited to the old 130 gig thing.
The XP-64 install only sees the 130 gig. How do I get my 250 gig hard drive
to show up properly again?

It is a Hitachi DeathStar SATA 250 gig drive

Here's what I have tried:

1) boot up with an ME floppy, run fdisk, delete the unknown partition, and
run the XP64 setup
no luck

2) set in the bios from Auto to Large, on disk access
no luck

3) enable/disable raid support in BIOS

4) look for the bigdrive (or whatever) registry entry, but it does not
exits - and I think it is not supposed to in XP64, but I could be wrong.

I could swear (but am starting to feel dillusional) that when I installed XP
64 fresh on the drive when it was brand new, that it saw all 250 gigs. I
just don't know anymore. any ideas?

Oh yeah, I also updated the BIOS

Thanks,
Shane


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
M. Murcek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
x64 Edition definitely saw all 250GB on the Hitachi SATA disks I installed.
Have you tried booting with the x64 CD, delete any existing partitions
there, create a new partition for the whole disk and continue the install
from there? I sure wouldn't mess with an ME boot disk.

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
>
> I have a new problem - After I installed XP 32-bit and then went back to
> XP 64-bit, all of a sudden my hard drive is limited to the old 130 gig
> thing. The XP-64 install only sees the 130 gig. How do I get my 250 gig
> hard drive to show up properly again?
>
> It is a Hitachi DeathStar SATA 250 gig drive
>
> Here's what I have tried:
>
> 1) boot up with an ME floppy, run fdisk, delete the unknown partition, and
> run the XP64 setup
> no luck
>
> 2) set in the bios from Auto to Large, on disk access
> no luck
>
> 3) enable/disable raid support in BIOS
>
> 4) look for the bigdrive (or whatever) registry entry, but it does not
> exits - and I think it is not supposed to in XP64, but I could be wrong.
>
> I could swear (but am starting to feel dillusional) that when I installed
> XP 64 fresh on the drive when it was brand new, that it saw all 250 gigs.
> I just don't know anymore. any ideas?
>
> Oh yeah, I also updated the BIOS
>
> Thanks,
> Shane
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
"M. Murcek" wrote
> x64 Edition definitely saw all 250GB on the Hitachi SATA disks I
> installed. Have you tried booting with the x64 CD, delete any existing
> partitions there, create a new partition for the whole disk and continue
> the install from there? I sure wouldn't mess with an ME boot disk.


At least I know I'm not out of my mind. Thanks for the info.

So to answer your question, I did in fact try to boot up with x64, delete
all partitions (there was only one), and try to create a new one. The
problem is that it only shows 130 gig. x64 actually thought that 130 gog
was all I had on that drive.

My guess, however incorrect it may be, is that x32 put some crappy
boundaries on the hard drive that x64 is reading. My next thought is to
wipe it with a linux fdisk. Also, I didn't fdisk the mbr, but should I
really have to? Any other ideas?

Shane


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimmy!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
FAT32 = nono for 200gb+ drives. I hope for your life that you don't use
FAT32 or SO HELP YOU GOD!

JimmY!

--
"The last that ever she saw him, carried away by a moonlight shadow.
He passed on worried and warning, carried away by a moonlight shadow." -
Groove Coverage - Moonlight Shadow

"Hold the line...Love isn't all way on time...no woah woah woah!" - Toto -
Hold the line.

"And I miss you...Like the deserts miss the rain..." - Missing - Everything
but the girl.

"No TV and no beer make Homer something something...(Go crazy?)...DON'T MIND
IF I DO! MUAHSAHADHDA WEE BLEAGAGS EGSAR WEE ZZZZ IZZ ZIZ Z RAH!" - Homer

"Gabber DJ let the bass drum go liek this *untz untz untz untz*" - Hocus
Pocus - Here's Johnny

"I look back on my life, what do I find? I feel I'm running on empty. Even
in the corner of my mind, I feel I'm running on empty. Even if i spead my
wings tonight, I feel I'm running on empty. even if you run with me
tonight, I feel the torture ending...Running ohhh wooahh wooahh running on
empty...ohhh wooahh wooahh running on empty." - DJ Trashy - Running on
empty.
"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "M. Murcek" wrote
>> x64 Edition definitely saw all 250GB on the Hitachi SATA disks I
>> installed. Have you tried booting with the x64 CD, delete any existing
>> partitions there, create a new partition for the whole disk and continue
>> the install from there? I sure wouldn't mess with an ME boot disk.

>
> At least I know I'm not out of my mind. Thanks for the info.
>
> So to answer your question, I did in fact try to boot up with x64, delete
> all partitions (there was only one), and try to create a new one. The
> problem is that it only shows 130 gig. x64 actually thought that 130 gog
> was all I had on that drive.
>
> My guess, however incorrect it may be, is that x32 put some crappy
> boundaries on the hard drive that x64 is reading. My next thought is to
> wipe it with a linux fdisk. Also, I didn't fdisk the mbr, but should I
> really have to? Any other ideas?
>
> Shane
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
"Jimmy!" wrote
> FAT32 = nono for 200gb+ drives. I hope for your life that you don't use
> FAT32 or SO HELP YOU GOD!
>


Who said anything about FAT32? If you are referring to my use of the ME
boot disk to fdisk the drive, I just used it to nuke the partition. That's
it. You can be sure that I formatted it with NTFS.

The real point, however, is that the x64 installation program did not see
the whole drive.

Shane


 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
Have you run the Hitachi disk utilities to determine if the hdd has any
problems?

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jimmy!" wrote
>> FAT32 = nono for 200gb+ drives. I hope for your life that you don't use
>> FAT32 or SO HELP YOU GOD!
>>

>
> Who said anything about FAT32? If you are referring to my use of the ME
> boot disk to fdisk the drive, I just used it to nuke the partition.
> That's it. You can be sure that I formatted it with NTFS.
>
> The real point, however, is that the x64 installation program did not see
> the whole drive.
>
> Shane
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote
> Have you run the Hitachi disk utilities to determine if the hdd has any
> problems?


Not yet, but I can give it a try. I didn't get a disk with it, so I didn't
think of downloading one. I'll try it tonight when I get home. Thanks for
the tip

Shane


 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
yw. My concern is that static electricity did something to the controller
during handling.

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote
>> Have you run the Hitachi disk utilities to determine if the hdd has any
>> problems?

>
> Not yet, but I can give it a try. I didn't get a disk with it, so I
> didn't think of downloading one. I'll try it tonight when I get home.
> Thanks for the tip
>
> Shane
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
LDJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
Hello Shane!
Shane wrote:

> I have a new problem - After I installed XP 32-bit and then went back to XP
> 64-bit, all of a sudden my hard drive is limited to the old 130 gig thing.
> The XP-64 install only sees the 130 gig. How do I get my 250 gig hard drive
> to show up properly again?
>
> It is a Hitachi DeathStar SATA 250 gig drive
>
> Here's what I have tried:
>
> 1) boot up with an ME floppy, run fdisk, delete the unknown partition, and
> run the XP64 setup
> no luck
>
> 2) set in the bios from Auto to Large, on disk access
> no luck
>
> 3) enable/disable raid support in BIOS
>
> 4) look for the bigdrive (or whatever) registry entry, but it does not
> exits - and I think it is not supposed to in XP64, but I could be wrong.
>
> I could swear (but am starting to feel dillusional) that when I installed XP
> 64 fresh on the drive when it was brand new, that it saw all 250 gigs. I
> just don't know anymore. any ideas?
>
> Oh yeah, I also updated the BIOS
>
> Thanks,
> Shane



Here is a re-use of a msg I wrote, on PlanetAMD64:

Jun 24 2004, 05:04 PM

Hello Anybody!
Having spend a lot of time installing/partitioning a new 160 GB Hitachi
ATA 100 HD, I finally found the solution, and am willing to share the
secrets with you

If you don't want to waste more time, than necessary, go read this FAQ:

Installation and integration tips

FAQ: Why doesn't my system see the full capacity of my 137GB+ drive?
What is the 137GB (128 GB binary) hard drive capacity limitation?

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/hdinstall.htm

I finally got the disk partitioned by making Primary and extended
partition with logical drives, by making ALL of the partitions within
the first 120 Gb
area of the disk.

Next thing to do was to install SP 4 on Win2000-

I used Control Panel/Administration/Diskmanager to partition/format the
unused space.

Strange though (IMO) I was only given the option, partitioning the space
as a Primary partition. But anyway, I no longer have error msg's, when
tested with PowerQuest Partition Info. You can download a free version
of this program from Symantec:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id4256.html

When you are there, and having read the notes, scroll to the link:

FTP Site

Download the file: PartInNT.ZIP

Even though you might already have your HUGE disk
installed and running, it can still be of interest to check the disks
for error. IMHO

----------------------- end of re-used text ----------------------------

If you wish, you can also read the text, of the posting, on PlanetAMD64:

Topic: Huge Drives Installation and integration tips

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=1470&hl=

Have Fun!
LDJ
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
I think they gave up the trials, since this product and Ghost are items
rarely used by most and their purchase rate was abominable. If you have
Partition Magic, you can use by booting from the CD and see if it sees the
whole drive, and you can partition and format there.


"LDJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Shane!
> Shane wrote:
>
>> I have a new problem - After I installed XP 32-bit and then went back to
>> XP 64-bit, all of a sudden my hard drive is limited to the old 130 gig
>> thing. The XP-64 install only sees the 130 gig. How do I get my 250 gig
>> hard drive to show up properly again?
>>
>> It is a Hitachi DeathStar SATA 250 gig drive
>>
>> Here's what I have tried:
>>
>> 1) boot up with an ME floppy, run fdisk, delete the unknown partition,
>> and run the XP64 setup
>> no luck
>>
>> 2) set in the bios from Auto to Large, on disk access
>> no luck
>>
>> 3) enable/disable raid support in BIOS
>>
>> 4) look for the bigdrive (or whatever) registry entry, but it does not
>> exits - and I think it is not supposed to in XP64, but I could be wrong.
>>
>> I could swear (but am starting to feel dillusional) that when I installed
>> XP 64 fresh on the drive when it was brand new, that it saw all 250 gigs.
>> I just don't know anymore. any ideas?
>>
>> Oh yeah, I also updated the BIOS
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shane

>
>
> Here is a re-use of a msg I wrote, on PlanetAMD64:
> Jun 24 2004, 05:04 PM
>
> Hello Anybody!
> Having spend a lot of time installing/partitioning a new 160 GB Hitachi
> ATA 100 HD, I finally found the solution, and am willing to share the
> secrets with you
>
> If you don't want to waste more time, than necessary, go read this FAQ:
>
> Installation and integration tips
>
> FAQ: Why doesn't my system see the full capacity of my 137GB+ drive?
> What is the 137GB (128 GB binary) hard drive capacity limitation?
>
> http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/hdinstall.htm
>
> I finally got the disk partitioned by making Primary and extended
> partition with logical drives, by making ALL of the partitions within the
> first 120 Gb
> area of the disk.
>
> Next thing to do was to install SP 4 on Win2000-
>
> I used Control Panel/Administration/Diskmanager to partition/format the
> unused space.
>
> Strange though (IMO) I was only given the option, partitioning the space
> as a Primary partition. But anyway, I no longer have error msg's, when
> tested with PowerQuest Partition Info. You can download a free version of
> this program from Symantec:
>
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id4256.html
>
> When you are there, and having read the notes, scroll to the link:
>
> FTP Site
>
> Download the file: PartInNT.ZIP
>
> Even though you might already have your HUGE disk
> installed and running, it can still be of interest to check the disks for
> error. IMHO
>
> ----------------------- end of re-used text ----------------------------
>
> If you wish, you can also read the text, of the posting, on PlanetAMD64:
>
> Topic: Huge Drives Installation and integration tips
>
> http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=1470&hl=
>
> Have Fun!
> LDJ



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloning so a SATA drive, boting form a SATA drive? R. Giggs. Computer Information 26 11-08-2012 06:54 AM
xp64 trial version & xp64 beta version install =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dGhldyBXZWJzdGVy?= Windows 64bit 7 01-08-2006 01:29 AM
Does x64 require a SATA RAID Driver to install non-RAID SATA Drive =?Utf-8?B?VGhlb3JldGljYWxseQ==?= Windows 64bit 6 07-18-2005 05:45 AM
OEM xp64 v. Trial xp64 ? Soma11 Windows 64bit 4 05-22-2005 08:00 PM
Hard drives - Can I mix SATA and non-SATA? John Smith Computer Support 5 10-08-2004 06:51 AM



Advertisments