Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32 bit applications

32 bit applications

JP

How do I run 32 bit applications on x64? I can't find much on "WOW"? Every
32 bit program that I try to install fails. Thanks JP

DKI

What type of message do you get when installing these apps.

I installed 32bit apps and games and they installed fine and all run fine.
the only apps that will not run are 16bit apps or 32bit apps that use 32bit
drivers (Mostly antivirus and firewalls or starforce games).

Also some 32bit apps that have 16bit installers will not install and there
is a work arround i posted somewhere and it only works for 32bit apps that
have 16bit installers.

16bit installer work arrounds.
Sounds Likes an 16bit installer. i get round those by installing a program
called WinInstall LE on XP Home (i kept installed for some functions like
this or my TV card and some other hardware to work)

I install it then run a scan for my current settings. and it makes a note.
install the software and then scans for changes and makes an MSI installer
with the files so then it can be install on XP X64. but make sure the that
the program being installed is 32bit as since it will not work with 16bit
programs.

Its all done with a wizard so its not hard to use.
(this is only posted as incase its a 16bit installer and if not engore)

If 16bit installers are not the case could something esle causing the
problem.

"JP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I run 32 bit applications on x64? I can't find much on "WOW"? Every
> 32 bit program that I try to install fails. Thanks JP

Paul Smith

"JP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I run 32 bit applications on x64? I can't find much on "WOW"? Every
> 32 bit program that I try to install fails. Thanks JP

32-bit applications should just "work", all of mine do. Is there anything
common between the installers, such as using the same software?

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

JP

Thanks for the info. I will check my applications now that I have some idea
of what to look for. Thanks JP
"Paul Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do I run 32 bit applications on x64? I can't find much on "WOW"?
>> Every 32 bit program that I try to install fails. Thanks JP

> 32-bit applications should just "work", all of mine do. Is there anything
> common between the installers, such as using the same software?
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

WOW64
At startup, Wow64.dll loads the x86 version of Ntdll.dll and runs its
initialization code, which loads all necessary 32-bit DLLs. Nearly all
32-bit DLLs are unmodified copies of 32-bit Windows XP binaries. However,
some of these DLLs have knowledge of WOW64, usually because they share
memory with 64-bit processes.

Instead of using the x86 system-service call sequence; 32-bit binaries
making system calls are rebuilt to use a custom calling sequence. This new
sequence is inexpensive for WOW64 to intercept because it remains entirely
in user mode. When the new calling sequence is detected, the WOW64 CPU
transitions back to native 64-bit mode and calls into (Wow64.dll). Thunking
is done in user mode to reduce the impact on the 64-bit kernel, and to
reduce the risk of a bug in the thunk causing a kernel-mode crash, data
corruption, or a security hole. The thunks extract arguments from the 32-bit
stack, extend them to 64 bits, and then make the native system call.

WOW64 enables 32-bit applications to take advantage of the 64-bit kernel.
Therefore, 32-bit applications can use a larger number of kernel handles and
window handles. However, 32-bit applications cannot create as many threads
under WOW64 as they can on x86, because there is less virtual address space
available, and each thread contains a 64-bit stack (usually 512K).

Now you should understand why 32 bit applications are able to run on 64 bit
Windows.

--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"JP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I run 32 bit applications on x64? I can't find much on "WOW"? Every
> 32 bit program that I try to install fails. Thanks JP

JP

Thanks for the reply Andre. I could not respond sooner because I was out of
state on vacation. JP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...