Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > USR Modem driver

USR Modem driver

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

This is what I suggested:

http://www.smlink.com/objects/SLA56-...MV-XP64Bit.zip

Smart link has drivers for their modems, maybe you want to consider
purchasing one from them. The US Robotics 5810 ran perfectly out of the box.

I didn't say anything about 5660a, see, you can return it for a refund and
purchase the appropriate model.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some of you posted messages that their USR modem
> work OK in XP 64 Bit.
>
> I called USR pre-sales, one ignorant guy said it is no
> problem installing any of USR modems in 64 XP.
>
> So I went and bought USR5660a, but the thing would not install.
> Checked for 64 bit drivers, but non found.
> Called USR support, they apologized, and said they don't have
> any 64 bit drivers for any modem yet.
> I can wait, I use the modem for in case the DSL went down.
>
> I am curious how some the members were able to install the USR modem.

John Barnes

The 5610B works (full modem, PCI). If yours is USB I haven't heard of any
USB modems working yet.

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some of you posted messages that their USR modem
> work OK in XP 64 Bit.
>
> I called USR pre-sales, one ignorant guy said it is no
> problem installing any of USR modems in 64 XP.
>
> So I went and bought USR5660a, but the thing would not install.
> Checked for 64 bit drivers, but non found.
> Called USR support, they apologized, and said they don't have
> any 64 bit drivers for any modem yet.
> I can wait, I use the modem for in case the DSL went down.
>
> I am curious how some the members were able to install the USR modem.

Ted

Some of you posted messages that their USR modem
work OK in XP 64 Bit.

I called USR pre-sales, one ignorant guy said it is no
problem installing any of USR modems in 64 XP.

So I went and bought USR5660a, but the thing would not install.
Checked for 64 bit drivers, but non found.
Called USR support, they apologized, and said they don't have
any 64 bit drivers for any modem yet.
I can wait, I use the modem for in case the DSL went down.

I am curious how some the members were able to install the USR modem.

John Barnes

If you want, when I get a chance to use x64 in about 4 hours, I will look up
the driver that installed automatically with my USR 5610B and post it so you
can point to it and see if it will work for your modem. Do you get the
install new hardware panel when you start up?

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >If yours is USB

> It is PCI.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The 5610B works (full modem, PCI). If yours is USB I haven't heard of
>> any USB modems working yet.
>>

>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Some of you posted messages that their USR modem
>>> work OK in XP 64 Bit.
>>>
>>> I called USR pre-sales, one ignorant guy said it is no
>>> problem installing any of USR modems in 64 XP.
>>>
>>> So I went and bought USR5660a, but the thing would not install.
>>> Checked for 64 bit drivers, but non found.
>>> Called USR support, they apologized, and said they don't have
>>> any 64 bit drivers for any modem yet.
>>> I can wait, I use the modem for in case the DSL went down.
>>>
>>> I am curious how some the members were able to install the USR modem.

John Barnes

It may be that they haven't done anything with Winmodems, only full modems.
Just a guess.

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >If yours is USB

> It is PCI.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The 5610B works (full modem, PCI). If yours is USB I haven't heard of
>> any USB modems working yet.
>>

>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Some of you posted messages that their USR modem
>>> work OK in XP 64 Bit.
>>>
>>> I called USR pre-sales, one ignorant guy said it is no
>>> problem installing any of USR modems in 64 XP.
>>>
>>> So I went and bought USR5660a, but the thing would not install.
>>> Checked for 64 bit drivers, but non found.
>>> Called USR support, they apologized, and said they don't have
>>> any 64 bit drivers for any modem yet.
>>> I can wait, I use the modem for in case the DSL went down.
>>>
>>> I am curious how some the members were able to install the USR modem.

Ted

Hello Andre,

I used to use Smart Link in Win 95 and early Win 98 days.
They were the first to make durable modems, USR and others
had problems and would break down all the time.
USR got back in control the late 90s, and Smart Link started
to be un-popular because they became pain to configure.

Actually Smart Link used to manufacture some of the name
brand modems.

I can't find USR 5810 on USR website nor on the WEB.

Which Smart Link modem do you have ?

> I didn't say anything about 5660a, see, you can return it for a refund and
> purchase the appropriate model.

It is no problem, I can always use an extra spare modem.
It is only $19.95 with a $10 rebate.
I would have researched more if I had to pay more.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is what I suggested:
>
> http://www.smlink.com/objects/SLA56-...MV-XP64Bit.zip
>
> Smart link has drivers for their modems, maybe you want to consider
> purchasing one from them. The US Robotics 5810 ran perfectly out of the
> box.
>
> I didn't say anything about 5660a, see, you can return it for a refund and
> purchase the appropriate model.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Some of you posted messages that their USR modem
>> work OK in XP 64 Bit.
>>
>> I called USR pre-sales, one ignorant guy said it is no
>> problem installing any of USR modems in 64 XP.
>>
>> So I went and bought USR5660a, but the thing would not install.
>> Checked for 64 bit drivers, but non found.
>> Called USR support, they apologized, and said they don't have
>> any 64 bit drivers for any modem yet.
>> I can wait, I use the modem for in case the DSL went down.
>>
>> I am curious how some the members were able to install the USR modem.

Ted

>If yours is USB

It is PCI.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The 5610B works (full modem, PCI). If yours is USB I haven't heard of any
> USB modems working yet.
>

> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Some of you posted messages that their USR modem
>> work OK in XP 64 Bit.
>>
>> I called USR pre-sales, one ignorant guy said it is no
>> problem installing any of USR modems in 64 XP.
>>
>> So I went and bought USR5660a, but the thing would not install.
>> Checked for 64 bit drivers, but non found.
>> Called USR support, they apologized, and said they don't have
>> any 64 bit drivers for any modem yet.
>> I can wait, I use the modem for in case the DSL went down.
>>
>> I am curious how some the members were able to install the USR modem.

John Barnes

I will get you the driver name this afternoon. It is a Microsoft written
driver, so I assume it is a generic driver, so USR techs could be correct
about not writing any.
I will be thru work in about 2 1/2 hours and will be able to go to the x64
system. None of my work programs work there.

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to USR support, non of the modems has 64 bit driver.
> May the AT command in your modem inf was acceptable for XP.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It may be that they haven't done anything with Winmodems, only full
>> modems. Just a guess.
>>

>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> It is PCI.
>>>

>>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ted

> install new hardware panel when you start up?

Yes.
I point it to the 2K_XP driver directory, but refuses to
install it.

> If you want, when I get a chance to use x64 in about 4 hours, I will look
> up the driver that installed automatically with my USR 5610B and post it
> so you can point to it and see if it will work for your modem.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

news:u%(E-Mail Removed)...