Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > So the TAP media finally came yesterday

So the TAP media finally came yesterday

James Park

My tracking number never showed in the UPS system, so I was sort of
surprised to see it show up. I got around to installing it today, and
despite it being OEM, it's still able to upgrade directly over the trial
version. Glad to see that orders are actually getting filled.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Thank you for that report of both arrival and the behaviour when upgrading
the trial media. It's good to get that confirmed, and you're the first person
here who has actually gottent their media, so far as I know.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

James Park wrote:
> My tracking number never showed in the UPS system, so I was sort of
> surprised to see it show up. I got around to installing it today, and
> despite it being OEM, it's still able to upgrade directly over the
> trial version. Glad to see that orders are actually getting filled.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I recently learned there is some exception to the TAP media when it comes to
upgrading trials, its similar to MSDN or Volume License versions of XP Pro
x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My tracking number never showed in the UPS system, so I was sort of
> surprised to see it show up. I got around to installing it today, and
> despite it being OEM, it's still able to upgrade directly over the trial
> version. Glad to see that orders are actually getting filled.

John Barnes

Thanks for the report. I am hoping that the vendor purchased OEM will also
update (or whatever Microsoft wants to call it) the trial. When we get that
verified, I will have a definitive answer to my question.

"James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My tracking number never showed in the UPS system, so I was sort of
> surprised to see it show up. I got around to installing it today, and
> despite it being OEM, it's still able to upgrade directly over the trial
> version. Glad to see that orders are actually getting filled.

Colin Barnhorst

It might not. It is not unusual for upgrades with an OEM cd to be very
program specific. Such a case were HP and a couple of other vendors who
shipped machines with WinME preinstalled just before XP released. The
vendors provided a coupon for upgrade to XP and when redeemed they sent a
special OEM cd that had an updater that only worked with the preinstalled
ME.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the report. I am hoping that the vendor purchased OEM will
> also update (or whatever Microsoft wants to call it) the trial. When we
> get that verified, I will have a definitive answer to my question.
>

> "James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My tracking number never showed in the UPS system, so I was sort of
>> surprised to see it show up. I got around to installing it today, and
>> despite it being OEM, it's still able to upgrade directly over the trial
>> version. Glad to see that orders are actually getting filled.

John Barnes

I agree, but my concern is those who buy an uninstalled OEM version from
someone like NewEgg etc. Vendor installed or unique versions are always
iffy.

news:eY%(E-Mail Removed)...
> It might not. It is not unusual for upgrades with an OEM cd to be very
> program specific. Such a case were HP and a couple of other vendors who
> shipped machines with WinME preinstalled just before XP released. The
> vendors provided a coupon for upgrade to XP and when redeemed they sent a
> special OEM cd that had an updater that only worked with the preinstalled
> ME.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the report. I am hoping that the vendor purchased OEM will
>> also update (or whatever Microsoft wants to call it) the trial. When we
>> get that verified, I will have a definitive answer to my question.
>>

>> "James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My tracking number never showed in the UPS system, so I was sort of
>>> surprised to see it show up. I got around to installing it today, and
>>> despite it being OEM, it's still able to upgrade directly over the trial
>>> version. Glad to see that orders are actually getting filled.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

HP has crappy appoach to distributing the Windows OEM Media. It comes on 4
disk!!!
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:eY%(E-Mail Removed)...
> It might not. It is not unusual for upgrades with an OEM cd to be very
> program specific. Such a case were HP and a couple of other vendors who
> shipped machines with WinME preinstalled just before XP released. The
> vendors provided a coupon for upgrade to XP and when redeemed they sent a
> special OEM cd that had an updater that only worked with the preinstalled
> ME.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the report. I am hoping that the vendor purchased OEM will
>> also update (or whatever Microsoft wants to call it) the trial. When we
>> get that verified, I will have a definitive answer to my question.
>>

>> "James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My tracking number never showed in the UPS system, so I was sort of
>>> surprised to see it show up. I got around to installing it today, and
>>> despite it being OEM, it's still able to upgrade directly over the trial
>>> version. Glad to see that orders are actually getting filled.

Mark Gillespie

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:50:11 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thank you for that report of both arrival and the behaviour when
> upgrading
> the trial media. It's good to get that confirmed, and you're the first
> person
> here who has actually gottent their media, so far as I know.

Anyone know if the orders are being processed in order, or if they are
skipping the international orders? I ordered mine quite early on, and
mine is still sat at "Order Received" state

NNBXX

Same here. I'm living in France, and my order number is X00004xx, placed
April 25th. No change in status yet, and cc still not charged.

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.st57vpjej2q9yy@xpdesktop...
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:50:11 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for that report of both arrival and the behaviour when
>> upgrading
>> the trial media. It's good to get that confirmed, and you're the first
>> person
>> here who has actually gottent their media, so far as I know.
>>

> Anyone know if the orders are being processed in order, or if they are
> skipping the international orders? I ordered mine quite early on, and
> mine is still sat at "Order Received" state

Mark Gillespie

So in summary, we pay twice the price because Microsoft cannot be bothered
with European distribution, and get half the service...