Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 trial installs but reboots before the login screen

x64 trial installs but reboots before the login screen

Mothra

Here's what I did (late last night):

-> Ran the RAID program using the supplied floppy disk for nForce 3
-> Ran WinXP x64 installer, pressed F6, inserted the floppy when prompted
only to find out that the drivers were 32-bit only
-> Downloaded the 64-bit drivers (which are nForce4) to a new floppy and
used those to get past the RAID setup
-> In the disk partitioning section, the existing IDE drives have already
used c: d: etc - next available drive letter for the RAID was K:
-> Proceeded to run the x64 install, but it complained about a couple of the
files not being able to copy over (I think it was 2 of the SATA driver
files)
-> Rest of the install went fine, although was prompted about drivers not
being certified - answered "yes" to proceed each time.
-> After the install, Windows boots up but shows BSOD before I can log in
and then the PC reboots.

I realise that lots went wrong there, so I have 2 initial questions:
1) How can I get to see that BSOD? It flashes up of a quarter of a second
before the machine resets itself.
2) Is it worth even reading that BSOD or is my install likely to be so
screwed that I should reinstall?

System info:
MSI K8N Diamond mainboard
Athalon64 3500+
2 x Western Digital Raptor SATA drives - striped using nForce drivers
2 x IDE drives with Windows XP 32-bit installed

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Mothra,
Hit F8 to get the Safe Mode screens.
There should be an option there to not automatically restart on that boot.
Choose that option. When you get the bluescreen the machine will not
automatically restart.
You can then capture the error message.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]