Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > "The image file .. is valid, but is for a machine type other than

"The image file .. is valid, but is for a machine type other than

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

I try to install an application but get the following error:

"The image file ...\setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than
the current machine"

Does anyone know if there are any way i can get this application installed
on x64?

Shane

"James" wrote
>I try to install an application but get the following error:
>
> "The image file ...\setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other
> than
> the current machine"
>
> Does anyone know if there are any way i can get this application installed
> on x64?

What is the application? Does the installer have 16 bit components? (many
do..). It all depends on the application really. We need more information.

Shane

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

The application is called "WinKey" by Copernic and is quite old (2001 or
something). The application is discontinued so there will probably not be any
updates. Actually, they have even removed the application from their website
recently: http://www.copernic.com/winkey/

"Shane" wrote:

> What is the application? Does the installer have 16 bit components? (many
> do..). It all depends on the application really. We need more information.

DKI

Sounds Likes an 16bit installer. i get round those by installing a program
called WinInstall LE on XP Home (i kept installed for some functions like
this or my TV card and some other hardware to work)

I install it then run a scan for my current settings. and it makes a note.
install the software and then scans for changes and makes an MSI installer
with the files so then it can be install on XP X64. but make sure the that
is to be installed is 32bit otherwise its a waist of time.

Its all done with a wizard so its not hard to use.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I try to install an application but get the following error:
>
> "The image file ...\setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other
> than
> the current machine"
>
> Does anyone know if there are any way i can get this application installed
> on x64?

M. Murcek

Sounds like a slick work-around...

"DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds Likes an 16bit installer. i get round those by installing a program
> called WinInstall LE on XP Home (i kept installed for some functions like
> this or my TV card and some other hardware to work)
>
> I install it then run a scan for my current settings. and it makes a note.
> install the software and then scans for changes and makes an MSI installer
> with the files so then it can be install on XP X64. but make sure the that
> is to be installed is 32bit otherwise its a waist of time.
>
> Its all done with a wizard so its not hard to use.
>
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I try to install an application but get the following error:
>>
>> "The image file ...\setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other
>> than
>> the current machine"
>>
>> Does anyone know if there are any way i can get this application
>> installed
>> on x64?

DKI

It works at least, took some time but worth it. And if the wizard is
followed correctly then it will work fine, just one small hint keep the User
name the same as on X64 cause if not it can cause some minor issues. I got
round it by editing the account name in the file where the regestry entrys
were stored.

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like a slick work-around...
>
> "DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sounds Likes an 16bit installer. i get round those by installing a
>> program called WinInstall LE on XP Home (i kept installed for some
>> functions like this or my TV card and some other hardware to work)
>>
>> I install it then run a scan for my current settings. and it makes a
>> note. install the software and then scans for changes and makes an MSI
>> installer with the files so then it can be install on XP X64. but make
>> sure the that is to be installed is 32bit otherwise its a waist of time.
>>
>> Its all done with a wizard so its not hard to use.
>>
>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I try to install an application but get the following error:
>>>
>>> "The image file ...\setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other
>>> than
>>> the current machine"
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there are any way i can get this application
>>> installed
>>> on x64?

Charlie Russel - MVP

This will work IF the program is 32-bit, just a 16 bit installer. If the
program is 16 bit, you're out of luck with that one.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

DKI wrote:
> It works at least, took some time but worth it. And if the wizard is
> followed correctly then it will work fine, just one small hint keep
> the User name the same as on X64 cause if not it can cause some minor
> issues. I got round it by editing the account name in the file where
> the regestry entrys were stored.
>

> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sounds like a slick work-around...
>>
>> "DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sounds Likes an 16bit installer. i get round those by installing a
>>> program called WinInstall LE on XP Home (i kept installed for some
>>> functions like this or my TV card and some other hardware to work)
>>>
>>> I install it then run a scan for my current settings. and it makes a
>>> note. install the software and then scans for changes and makes an
>>> MSI installer with the files so then it can be install on XP X64.
>>> but make sure the that is to be installed is 32bit otherwise its a
>>> waist of time. Its all done with a wizard so its not hard to use.
>>>
>>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

M. Murcek

True, Charlie. I tried running an old Windows v 1.01 executable under x64
Edition, and got this exact same error message, cause the .exe itself was 16
bit.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This will work IF the program is 32-bit, just a 16 bit installer. If the
> program is 16 bit, you're out of luck with that one.
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> DKI wrote:
>> It works at least, took some time but worth it. And if the wizard is
>> followed correctly then it will work fine, just one small hint keep
>> the User name the same as on X64 cause if not it can cause some minor
>> issues. I got round it by editing the account name in the file where
>> the regestry entrys were stored.
>>

>> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sounds like a slick work-around...
>>>
>>> "DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

!!!!!!!

YOU ARE A TRUE HERO!!! That worked perfect! I can't believe this, just 30
minutes after i ask, you come with the solution! Thanks!!!

"DKI" wrote:

> Sounds Likes an 16bit installer. i get round those by installing a program
> called WinInstall LE on XP Home (i kept installed for some functions like
> this or my TV card and some other hardware to work)
>
> I install it then run a scan for my current settings. and it makes a note.
> install the software and then scans for changes and makes an MSI installer
> with the files so then it can be install on XP X64. but make sure the that
> is to be installed is 32bit otherwise its a waist of time.
>
> Its all done with a wizard so its not hard to use.
>
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I try to install an application but get the following error:
> >
> > "The image file ...\setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other
> > than
> > the current machine"
> >
> > Does anyone know if there are any way i can get this application installed
> > on x64?

DKI

Your Welcome.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...