Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > [OT] : Top Posting vs Bottom Posting

[OT] : Top Posting vs Bottom Posting

Wayne Wastier

Not to be nit picky, but I think some of you that haven't been on usenet for
over 10 years should read this:

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Take care,
Wayne

pcbutts1

Means absolutely nothing.

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not to be nit picky, but I think some of you that haven't been on usenet
> for over 10 years should read this:
>
> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
>
> Take care,
> Wayne

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I prefer top posting because it lets me see the latest and most relevant
information in a thread while not confusing what I'm trying to focus on.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:ejvQB%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Means absolutely nothing.

> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Not to be nit picky, but I think some of you that haven't been on usenet
>> for over 10 years should read this:
>>
>> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
>>
>> Take care,
>> Wayne

Harry Ohrn

Wayne Wastier wrote:
> Not to be nit picky, but I think some of you that haven't been on usenet for
> over 10 years should read this:
>
> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
>
> Take care,
> Wayne

Wayne bottom posting makes more sense in newsgroups that are chatty. Top
posting is certainly fine in technical groups where, more often tha not,
we are simply making short, specific, and often single replies.

--

Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca\windowsxp

Harry Ohrn

Wayne Wastier wrote:
> Not to be nit picky, but I think some of you that haven't been on usenet for
> over 10 years should read this:
>
> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
>
> Take care,
> Wayne

Wayne bottom posting makes more sense in newsgroups that are chatty. Top
posting is certainly fine in technical groups where, more often than
not, we are simply making short, specific, and often single replies.

--

Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca\windowsxp

Dennis Pack

At work I'm using an Email server all day. Any replies are top posted to the
original message or top posted to the reply with history. In this newsgroup
if you top post to the first post the only listing your posting will show is
the original message. If you post anywhere in the string of posts it will
include the previous posts to the original post. If you look at the default
cursor position when you reply to a posting it will be a top post unless you
move the cursor to the bottom.

news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I prefer top posting because it lets me see the latest and most relevant
>information in a thread while not confusing what I'm trying to focus on.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ejvQB%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Means absolutely nothing.
>>
>> --

>> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Not to be nit picky, but I think some of you that haven't been on usenet
>>> for over 10 years should read this:
>>>
>>> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
>>>
>>> Take care,
>>> Wayne

Jed

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:31:50 -0400, "Dennis Pack"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I prefer top posting because it lets me see the latest and most relevant
>>information in a thread while not confusing what I'm trying to focus on.

>At work I'm using an Email server all day. Any replies are top posted to the
>original message or top posted to the reply with history. In this newsgroup
>if you top post to the first post the only listing your posting will show is
>the original message. If you post anywhere in the string of posts it will
>include the previous posts to the original post. If you look at the default
>cursor position when you reply to a posting it will be a top post unless you
>move the cursor to the bottom.

Not if you use most any other Usenet newreading software than Outlook
Express like Forte Agent, Xnews, Gravity, Mozilla Thunderbird, Dialog
by 40tude, TRN (Unix/Linux), STRN(UnixLinux), Knode(Linux), Safari
(Mac), etc. (and there has been a patch for OE out there for years
that fixes the curser location and quoting). Just saying...

Al Swearengen

Not to be nit picky, but I think some of you that haven't been on usenet for
over 10 years should read this:

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Take care,
Wayne

The article is right on track.

It does make more sense to bottom post rather that top post but it is easier
to top post, depending on your newsreader. Many, (Like Agent), by default
will automatically place your reply at the bottom of the previous post,
however Outlook or OE does not.

I thought this quote was funny and somewhat prejudiced against Microsoft,
(Referring to OE):

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge

From the Gem Saloon in Deadwood, SD
Al Swearengen

POST ON