Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > KB896358 Update Apply (Install) Error

KB896358 Update Apply (Install) Error

=?Utf-8?B?ZXRoZXJ3aXo=?=

I get an error when installing the KB896358 update in 64-bit XP Pro.

Has anyone else gotten this problem and if so can (how) did you fix it.

Thanks
_*_Dave

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Did you download it and try again and also ensure there are no open programs
during the install? Also restart the system and try again.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"etherwiz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I get an error when installing the KB896358 update in 64-bit XP Pro.
>
> Has anyone else gotten this problem and if so can (how) did you fix it.
>
> Thanks
> _*_Dave

Rick

Just what error did you get?

Did you get the right version for x64?

There are at least 3 different version:
1 for XP 32 bit
1 for Itanium
1 for x64

etherwiz wrote:
> I get an error when installing the KB896358 update in 64-bit XP Pro.
>
> Has anyone else gotten this problem and if so can (how) did you fix it.
>
> Thanks
> _*_Dave

=?Utf-8?B?ZXRoZXJ3aXo=?=

Thanks for your reply !
Iam am sorry I am so late getting back to you, here is there error sumary:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 7/17/2005
Time: 11:35:13 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVERMINE
Faulting application update.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module
update.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000000000074dc0.

Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 75 70 64 ure upd
0018: 61 74 65 2e 65 78 65 20 ate.exe
0020: 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 0.0.0.0
0028: 69 6e 20 75 70 64 61 74 in updat
0030: 65 2e 65 78 65 20 30 2e e.exe 0.
0038: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 0.0.0 at
0040: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
0048: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 00000000
0050: 30 30 30 37 34 64 63 30 00074dc0
0058: 0d 0a ..

I hope you can get something out of that!
There is one other thing about this machine
From the BIOS I select the Drive it boots from, either XP Pro (SP2) or XP
Pro 64-Bit. Although this error occurs on only on the 64-Bit system.

Both systems have a common problem. I have a Zip 750 on this, as well as a
Mirrowed Serial Drive (which the 64-Bit XP Pro is on) and an IDE Drive
(which the 32-Bit XP Pro is on). Everything worked fine untill I added an
extra drive on the serial (to be used for comon storage between the two, as
well as shared on my LAN), and then although the driver loaded is ZIP750
drive from Microsoft, it is not rec'ed as a Zp750 drive (simply removable
storage) and although Operating Normmal (by the Properties) it will not read
zips read by other computers and also read by this machine before I added the
extra serial drive.

I also have a multi-card reader (think cards that go in digital cameras), a
13 in one reader, which also worked in both systems before I added that last
serial drive. This now occasionally works (almost all the time in the 32-Bit
sytem) but in EXPLORER the drive letters go on the "Fluke". By this I mean
the drive letters for the 13-in-one (G thru J) disapear and cards inserted
are not read when that happens. The letters "magically" reappear at random
(one at a time. slowly rearanging my Explore Screen) and are once again
readable.

The AutoPlay window pops up constantly in both systems, but far more in the
64-Bit.

I need to get this system working right as soon as possible.

Thanks Again,
_*_Dave