Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > The response I received from MS about Intellipoint software for WinXP x64

The response I received from MS about Intellipoint software for WinXP x64

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Peter,
They have it under consideration.
They aren't sharing any timelines with me so I don't what they might be.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: The response I received from MS about Intellipoint software
for WinXP x64
<Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:14:41 +0100
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Darrell would that mean they might start doing something about it or they
<still looking into it.
<
<Clearly there is need for the product team to start doing something about
it
<if there was that much feedback and pressure on the issue.
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:hTu%(E-Mail Removed)...
<> Hello Wayne,
<> That product team has received a lot of feedback and pressure on the
<> issue.
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> for WinXP x64
<> <Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:12:41 -0500
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <
<> <
<> <"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<> <news:%23vVRZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
<> <> Yeah, I agree, very, very, very polite, gotta give him credit for that
<> at
<> <> least.
<> <> --
<> <> Andre
<> <
<> <Yup. Just wish he would have directed me to one of the product team, so
<> <could ask them what is going on.
<> <
<> <
<> <
<> <Wayne
<> <
<> <
<> <
<>
<
<
<

Wayne Wastier

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hTu%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Wayne,
> That product team has received a lot of feedback and pressure on the
> issue.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Give me an addy, and let's see what I can do. LOL

Wayne

DKI

Well all i can do is hope. Well for now fingers crossed and thanks.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Peter,
> They have it under consideration.
> They aren't sharing any timelines with me so I don't what they might be.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> <From: "DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <Subject: Re: The response I received from MS about Intellipoint software
> for WinXP x64
> <Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:14:41 +0100
> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> <
> <Darrell would that mean they might start doing something about it or they
> <still looking into it.
> <
> <Clearly there is need for the product team to start doing something about
> it
> <if there was that much feedback and pressure on the issue.
> <
> <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <news:hTu%(E-Mail Removed)...
> <> Hello Wayne,
> <> That product team has received a lot of feedback and pressure on the
> <> issue.
> <> Thanks,
> <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
> <>
> <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights
> <> --------------------
> <> <From: "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <> <Subject: Re: The response I received from MS about Intellipoint
> software
> <> for WinXP x64
> <> <Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:12:41 -0500
> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> <> <
> <> <
> <> <"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <> <news:%23vVRZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <> <> Yeah, I agree, very, very, very polite, gotta give him credit for
> that
> <> at
> <> <> least.
> <> <> --
> <> <> Andre
> <> <
> <> <Yup. Just wish he would have directed me to one of the product team,
> so
> <> <could ask them what is going on.
> <> <
> <> <
> <> <
> <> <Wayne
> <> <
> <> <
> <> <
> <>
> <
> <
> <

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:et%(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip MSFT replay to question>
> Rajkumar
>

> It is getting to the point of absurdity about this issue. Does anyone know
> how to contact the product team that is responsible for Intellipoint
> Software at MSFT? Thanks.

You have had an official response, why do you believe you need to contact a
product group ?

There is nothing more we (Microsoft) can tell you publicly (and yes we know
there is need for drivers for this hardware).
There is no x64 support currently and we do not have a publicly disclosable
date for any x64 release of the drivers (should they be released).

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

> [...]
> system. So at this stage, we may need to wait for the new release of the
> IntelliPoint Software, which might fix this compatibility issue.
>
> But we can't assure you with the exact date and time of the release, as we
> don't have any official information on the same. Since the product team is
> the one who decides on the next release of software's, we don't have any
> official information on the same. I hope you can understand it.
>
> You can keep track of the Microsoft new release of hardware's and software
> by referring to the following link.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/default.mspx
>
> Since all product design modifications are often based on feedback from
> our customers, I have forwarded your feedback to our Product Team. At the
> same time, we encourage you to post your feedback at the following link.
>
> http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
>
> You may submit feedback to us via the web, email, fax or even write to us.
> For more information about the Microsoft Wish Program, please refer to the
> following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.
>
> 114491: How to Contact the Microsoft Wish Program
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=114491
>
> Microsoft's Feedback and Product Enhancement team welcomes suggestions and
> comments from users with special emphasis to newly released products for
> use in future products and possible modifications to existing ones.
> Microsoft is a customer driven company and we are greatly reliant on
> customers' fee
> dback to propel our products and services. We are thoroughly aware that
> people who actually use our products on a regular basis are better judges
> of how our products and related services can be improved. Bear in mind
> that such suggestions and comments previously lodged by customers were
> significant
> ly responsible for the release of updates, patches and new products.
>
> Though the basic functionality will work without the software, the extra
> features for the mouse will work only if the appropriate software is
> installed in the system. So at this stage, you can either use the basic
> functions or can opt for an refund for the device.
>
> I don't want to disappoint you by providing the refund option, but to let
> you know that the money spent on the product is never a waste. To return
> the product for a refund directly to Microsoft, contact Microsoft North
> American Retail Product Returns at (88 673-8624, or visit the following
> Micros
> oft Web site to view information about the Money Back Guarantee policy:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm
>
> Let me know if this information helps. If you have any concerns or
> queries, please feel free to write back.
>
> I will be waiting for your response.
>
> Best Regards,
> Rajkumar
>

> It is getting to the point of absurdity about this issue. Does anyone know
> how to contact the product team that is responsible for Intellipoint

Wayne Wastier

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:et%(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snip MSFT replay to question>
>> Rajkumar
>>

>> It is getting to the point of absurdity about this issue. Does anyone
>> know how to contact the product team that is responsible for Intellipoint
>> Software at MSFT? Thanks.
>>

> You have had an official response, why do you believe you need to contact
> a product group ?
>
> There is nothing more we (Microsoft) can tell you publicly (and yes we
> know there is need for drivers for this hardware).
> There is no x64 support currently and we do not have a publicly
> disclosable date for any x64 release of the drivers (should they be
> released).
>
> --

Mike, my response was a rhetorical response. (not really looking for a
public answer on the NG, just showing my state of mind for the group)

Wayne

John Barnes

Well, I hope they get of their duffs and do both intellitype and
intellipoint. Looks like they may be the last hardware to provide 64-bit
support. Why, oh why, didn't I buy Logitech.

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:et%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <snip MSFT replay to question>
>>> Rajkumar
>>>

>>> It is getting to the point of absurdity about this issue. Does anyone
>>> know how to contact the product team that is responsible for
>>> Intellipoint Software at MSFT? Thanks.
>>>

>> You have had an official response, why do you believe you need to contact
>> a product group ?
>>
>> There is nothing more we (Microsoft) can tell you publicly (and yes we
>> know there is need for drivers for this hardware).
>> There is no x64 support currently and we do not have a publicly
>> disclosable date for any x64 release of the drivers (should they be
>> released).
>>
>> --
>>

> Mike, my response was a rhetorical response. (not really looking for a
> public answer on the NG, just showing my state of mind for the group)
>

> Wayne

Wayne Wastier

news:ufPT$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I hope they get of their duffs and do both intellitype and
> intellipoint. Looks like they may be the last hardware to provide 64-bit
> support. Why, oh why, didn't I buy Logitech.

Your sentiments are at the heart of my posts on this topic. Thank you John.

Wayne

tawpgk

"...we do not have a publicly disclosable date for any x64 release of the
drivers (should they be released)."

Should they be released? Is that what is taking so much time? Are they just
sitting around contemplating whether or not to
update the drivers for X64? Why is it necessary for you to equivocate on
this? It is not certain that drivers are forthcoming at some point in
Redmond Time?

The fact that the software wasn't available before or at the RTM speaks
volumes IMHO. How complex can this code be for crying out loud! Its not like
the product group had no idea that 64 bit addressing was on its way. Good
software engineering should have minimized the potential impact anyway.

I guess we are to expect that Microsoft will announce that it will be
getting out of the PC hardware business soon. Why else would you not even
attempt to serve your customers? How can we even expect for vendors to take
64 bit driver support seriously if Microsoft itself does not even support
its own hardware?

--
Tom
> [...]

>> functions or can opt for an refund for the device.
>>
>> I don't want to disappoint you by providing the refund option, but to let
>> you know that the money spent on the product is never a waste. To return
>> the product for a refund directly to Microsoft, contact Microsoft North
>> American Retail Product Returns at (88 673-8624, or visit the following
>> Micros
>> oft Web site to view information about the Money Back Guarantee policy:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm
>>
>> Let me know if this information helps. If you have any concerns or
>> queries, please feel free to write back.
>>
>> I will be waiting for your response.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Rajkumar
>>

>> It is getting to the point of absurdity about this issue. Does anyone
>> know how to contact the product team that is responsible for Intellipoint

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Don't worry Wayne, they get around to developing the drivers -- in the next
century.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:ufPT$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, I hope they get of their duffs and do both intellitype and
>> intellipoint. Looks like they may be the last hardware to provide 64-bit
>> support. Why, oh why, didn't I buy Logitech.
>>

> Your sentiments are at the heart of my posts on this topic. Thank you
> John.
>

> Wayne

Charlie Russel - MVP

DISCLAIMER: I have ZERO inside knowledge about MS hardware drivers or the
people and issues involved in this particular mess. Any comments I might make
are PURE speculation and guesswork, based on 15 years of writing about, and
working with, MS operating systems.

Like any large organization, MS is made up of many different groups, with
different priorities and different resources. Clearly, the priorities for the
hardware group don't match up with the priorities for the x64 OS group. I
find it quite interesting to read the posts on this subject. Not what is
said, but what isn't said. Or sometimes the exact wording of what is said.
Doing that I would guess that the intelli-whatever group weren't terribly
interested in doing drivers any time soon, or simply didn't have any one left
in the group who actually could. When the storm from users here and in the
other communities hit, they got told to get their act together. They are
scrambling, and dealing with what has always, IMHO, been a buggy code base,
and trying to do a driver as fast as they can. They are overloaded and
resource starved because they also are probably being told they have to have
LH compatible drivers up and running by that beta. They've become defensive
and closed mouthed inside MS and refuse to commit to any date whatsoever
outside their own team, probably because they missed their first commit date
and are struggling with a difficult issue that they weren't counting on. And
they have further imposed a "no comment" on anyone outside their team
speculating.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.