Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Netdisk replacement

Netdisk replacement

=?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=

Hi All,

Well, add to the list of "things that don't work in x64" is the backup
mechanism I had in place for my old XP Pro system. I bought a Ximeta Netdisk,
which is an ethernet hard disk, and had Acronis True Image software create
an image of my entire hard drive and send it off to the Netdisk each night.
It was the ultimate (and fast) backup.

Are there any ethernet disks out there that work with 64-bit Windows? What
kind of backup routines do you all use? I WILL NOT go back to tape.

TIA

Charlie Russel

"=?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi All,
>
> Well, add to the list of "things that don't work in x64" is the backup
> mechanism I had in place for my old XP Pro system. I bought a Ximeta
> Netdisk, which is an ethernet hard disk, and had Acronis True Image
> software create an image of my entire hard drive and send it off to
> the Netdisk each night. It was the ultimate (and fast) backup.
>
> Are there any ethernet disks out there that work with 64-bit Windows?
> What kind of backup routines do you all use? I WILL NOT go back to
> tape.
>
> TIA

OK, why wouldn't it work? I can see why the ethernet side of it wouldn't
work, that would take a driver. But it also supports USB2.0, if I read
their product page correctly. I would expect that to work just fine.

As for what I use for backup these days? Well, I keep everything
important on the server, and it backs up to an internal HD every night.
Once a week I suck off the latest backup onto a local HD on my personal
workstation. (well, technically, I have a Korn shell script that sucks
off the latest version and puts it on the local hard drive. I don't
believe in manually doing anything I can script.)

Tape -- I'm not going there again.

Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

=?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=

The USB configuration probably would work technically, but it is not the
solution I desire strategically. Keeping NetDisk hidden by my ethernet patch
panel gives an extra level of protection in case of theft of my computer.

"Charlie Russel" wrote:

> OK, why wouldn't it work? I can see why the ethernet side of it wouldn't
> work, that would take a driver. But it also supports USB2.0, if I read
> their product page correctly. I would expect that to work just fine.
>
> As for what I use for backup these days? Well, I keep everything
> important on the server, and it backs up to an internal HD every night.
> Once a week I suck off the latest backup onto a local HD on my personal
> workstation. (well, technically, I have a Korn shell script that sucks
> off the latest version and puts it on the local hard drive. I don't
> believe in manually doing anything I can script.)

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes. But rather easy to string a USB cable to a USB hub and then off to your
netdisk at sufficient distance from your computer to provide at least some
security.

That being said, I agree that netdisk needs to step up to the plate and do
64-bit drivers. I would actively encourage them to do so if I had their
hardware. My suggestions were primarily to help you find an interim solution
that would get around the problem.

Another possibility is any of the Windows Storage Server based solutions.
These are obviously more expensive, but certainly provide full security and
allow full remoteness as well.