Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Word 2000 and X64

Word 2000 and X64

=?Utf-8?B?Sm8tTWFyaWUgU2Nob2VtYW4=?=

I am currently having trouble using Office 2000 in Win XP x64 - whenever I
try to change the font in MS Word, whether by simply clicking on the font
box, using a keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift + f) or going to font properties
via the menu, Word throws an error report and exits. Furthermore, if I have
pasted data etc into Word more than about 3 times, or when I try to paste
using the clipboard, Word also throws an error report and exits.

I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I have
installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

1. Select Run from the Windows Start menu

2. Type winword.exe /a (you must insert the space before the /a; also, you
may need to type the entire file path or use the Browse button to locate the
file)

3. Click OK

If Word starts okay, then the problem lies in either the registry data key
or something located in the Office startup folder. Your first step should be
to delete the delete the Normal.dot template, as this is the cause of most
startup problems in Word. For help fixing registry data key problems,
consult the Microsoft Office Update Support page.

If Word does not start correctly in safe mode, or if you don't want to get
into editing your registry, it may be time to reinstall Word.

Also, post this problem to the microsoft.public.word group, you might be
able to get more answers there.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Jo-Marie Schoeman" <Jo-Marie http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am currently having trouble using Office 2000 in Win XP x64 - whenever I
> try to change the font in MS Word, whether by simply clicking on the font
> box, using a keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift + f) or going to font
> properties
> via the menu, Word throws an error report and exits. Furthermore, if I
> have
> pasted data etc into Word more than about 3 times, or when I try to paste
> using the clipboard, Word also throws an error report and exits.
>
> I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I have
> installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the problem.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Not really a suggestion. But the current version, Word 2003, is fine in x64
Edition. This may be something where the older version did something careless
with memory and that is very likely to cause problems in x64 Edition. Older
apps were a lot less scrupulous about how they handled memory.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Jo-Marie Schoeman wrote:
> I am currently having trouble using Office 2000 in Win XP x64 -
> whenever I try to change the font in MS Word, whether by simply
> clicking on the font box, using a keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift +
> f) or going to font properties via the menu, Word throws an error
> report and exits. Furthermore, if I have pasted data etc into Word
> more than about 3 times, or when I try to paste using the clipboard,
> Word also throws an error report and exits.
>
> I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I have
> installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the
> problem.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

True, we are talking about Word 2000 here, circa June 1999.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not really a suggestion. But the current version, Word 2003, is fine in
> x64 Edition. This may be something where the older version did something
> careless with memory and that is very likely to cause problems in x64
> Edition. Older apps were a lot less scrupulous about how they handled
> memory.
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Jo-Marie Schoeman wrote:
>> I am currently having trouble using Office 2000 in Win XP x64 -
>> whenever I try to change the font in MS Word, whether by simply
>> clicking on the font box, using a keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift +
>> f) or going to font properties via the menu, Word throws an error
>> report and exits. Furthermore, if I have pasted data etc into Word
>> more than about 3 times, or when I try to paste using the clipboard,
>> Word also throws an error report and exits.
>>
>> I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I have
>> installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the
>> problem.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes. And it was my polite way of suggesting that there might actually be a
certain number of critters in it, especially around the way memory is
handled. I don't think versions of Word that old got the thorough going over
that later versions now get as a normal part of the MS security review.

--

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> True, we are talking about Word 2000 here, circa June 1999.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Not really a suggestion. But the current version, Word 2003, is fine
>> in x64 Edition. This may be something where the older version did
>> something careless with memory and that is very likely to cause
>> problems in x64 Edition. Older apps were a lot less scrupulous about
>> how they handled memory.
>>
>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> ======================
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Jo-Marie Schoeman wrote:
>>> I am currently having trouble using Office 2000 in Win XP x64 -
>>> whenever I try to change the font in MS Word, whether by simply
>>> clicking on the font box, using a keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift +
>>> f) or going to font properties via the menu, Word throws an error
>>> report and exits. Furthermore, if I have pasted data etc into Word
>>> more than about 3 times, or when I try to paste using the clipboard,
>>> Word also throws an error report and exits.
>>>
>>> I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I
>>> have installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions?

roman modic

Hello,

"Jo-Marie Schoeman" <Jo-Marie (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am currently having trouble using Office 2000 in Win XP x64 - whenever I
> try to change the font in MS Word, whether by simply clicking on the font
> box, using a keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift + f) or going to font
> properties
> via the menu, Word throws an error report and exits. Furthermore, if I
> have
> pasted data etc into Word more than about 3 times, or when I try to paste
> using the clipboard, Word also throws an error report and exits.
>
> I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I have
> installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the problem.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you applied Service Release 1 and Service Pack 3
for Office 2000?

Roman

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

"Also, I have installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the
problem."
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"roman modic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%233%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> "Jo-Marie Schoeman" <Jo-Marie (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am currently having trouble using Office 2000 in Win XP x64 - whenever I
>> try to change the font in MS Word, whether by simply clicking on the font
>> box, using a keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift + f) or going to font
>> properties
>> via the menu, Word throws an error report and exits. Furthermore, if I
>> have
>> pasted data etc into Word more than about 3 times, or when I try to paste
>> using the clipboard, Word also throws an error report and exits.
>>
>> I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I have
>> installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the problem.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions?

> Have you applied Service Release 1 and Service Pack 3
> for Office 2000?
>
> Roman

Tocapet

Well, my Office 2000 works just fine in X64 and I'm still running the trial
version. Just recd. and email saying my CD will be shipping beginning the
14th (yesterday!)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Also, I have installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve
> the problem."
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>

> "roman modic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%233%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> "Jo-Marie Schoeman" <Jo-Marie (E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am currently having trouble using Office 2000 in Win XP x64 - whenever
>>> try to change the font in MS Word, whether by simply clicking on the
>>> font
>>> box, using a keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift + f) or going to font
>>> properties
>>> via the menu, Word throws an error report and exits. Furthermore, if I
>>> have
>>> pasted data etc into Word more than about 3 times, or when I try to
>>> paste
>>> using the clipboard, Word also throws an error report and exits.
>>>
>>> I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I have
>>> installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the problem.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions?

>> Have you applied Service Release 1 and Service Pack 3
>> for Office 2000?
>>
>> Roman

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Look at it this way, you might get it before Longhorn arrives.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Tocapet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, my Office 2000 works just fine in X64 and I'm still running the
> trial version. Just recd. and email saying my CD will be shipping
> beginning the 14th (yesterday!)

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Also, I have installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve
>> the problem."
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>

>> "roman modic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%233%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> "Jo-Marie Schoeman" <Jo-Marie (E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Have you applied Service Release 1 and Service Pack 3
>>> for Office 2000?
>>>
>>> Roman

Colin Barnhorst

Andre, you forget that there will be similar delays getting Longhorn as
well. Some things will never change.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...