Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Installshield 32-bit setup dies - why?

Installshield 32-bit setup dies - why?

=?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=

Hello,

I have a very important application that I cannot install on my new x64
machine. The setup program is 32-bit from InstallShield. It starts out like
it will do something, then ... nothing. Checking the task manager, I see
setup.exe running. The funny thing is, when I do a reboot, I see the first
screen of the installation program appear for a second before the machine
reboots, kind of like something that was keeping it from running was released
from memory.

Any ideas out there? Is there any way to run a 32-bit shell in x64?

Thanks in advance.

WM

If it is a truly 32-bit setup, then it should just work. However, NUMEROUS
installers actually run (or in this case will try to run) 16-bit code - and
fail on X64. Odds are it has hung and gone off into the weeds, and when you
reboot, it is forcing the setup to quit forcibly. You may want to find out
from the publisher if they have tested their installer on X64 Windows at
all.

"Logikos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a very important application that I cannot install on my new x64
> machine. The setup program is 32-bit from InstallShield. It starts out
> like
> it will do something, then ... nothing. Checking the task manager, I see
> setup.exe running. The funny thing is, when I do a reboot, I see the
> first
> screen of the installation program appear for a second before the machine
> reboots, kind of like something that was keeping it from running was
> released
> from memory.
>
> Any ideas out there? Is there any way to run a 32-bit shell in x64?
>
> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=

Unfortunately the publisher quit issuing upgrades about 5 years ago. They
moved the application to a lease, so I won't get any help from them.

I am really surprised by this because I always considered InstallShield as
the leader of the pack of installer technology.

"WM" wrote:

> If it is a truly 32-bit setup, then it should just work. However, NUMEROUS
> installers actually run (or in this case will try to run) 16-bit code - and
> fail on X64. Odds are it has hung and gone off into the weeds, and when you
> reboot, it is forcing the setup to quit forcibly. You may want to find out
> from the publisher if they have tested their installer on X64 Windows at
> all.

John Barnes

Have you considered that it may not be install shield. My bet is the
program being installed is the problem. I have had that problem with
several programs with both install shield and Wise.

"Logikos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a very important application that I cannot install on my new x64
> machine. The setup program is 32-bit from InstallShield. It starts out
> like
> it will do something, then ... nothing. Checking the task manager, I see
> setup.exe running. The funny thing is, when I do a reboot, I see the
> first
> screen of the installation program appear for a second before the machine
> reboots, kind of like something that was keeping it from running was
> released
> from memory.
>
> Any ideas out there? Is there any way to run a 32-bit shell in x64?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Steve Thompson

Colin Barnhorst

Or set up a clean boot environment with msconfig and try the installation
that way.

"Steve Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Value4Realty Value4Realty is offline
Junior Member

I have 2 apps now that won't install. It's such BS. Someone should create a virtual environment that lets this stuff install but some how remaps everything.