Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Does x64 recognize hard drives that have winxp x86 installed on it

Does x64 recognize hard drives that have winxp x86 installed on it

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Rick, do you have to have this hint of anger in your replies?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the point of your question?
>
> I have x64 installed and it recognizes all my drives from previous MS
> systems that are formated in Fat32 and NTFS.
>
> Theoretically wrote:
>> Does Windows XP x64 recognize hard drives that have data from the 32 bit
>> version of windows xp? Is the NTFS the same or is it different?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You can have both XP Pro x64 and XP x86 share the same Program files x86
folder to launch common 32 bit applications.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Theoretically" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> lol... I really should of thought of that seeing as I am CCNA but I am
> really
> tired. but thanks again for the information. My whole reason for asking in
> nutshell is that I have programs that I need to be able to use and so i
> didn't want to lose win xp 32 bit but also be able to access files that
> were
> written in winxp32 in x64 and vice versa.
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> That's the IP of your posting host.
>>

>> Theoretically wrote:
>> > If your trying to say that my knowledge is out of date. Your probably
>> > correct. I know how to build computers and write programs for computers
>> > decently but I am always trying to learn more. I know very little about
>> > computers. But why los angeles?

Randy

WinXP Pro x32 runs fine on my Dell Xeon EM64T system. Can't really say as
per the performance gain... I'm mostly just checking compatibility for now.
There are a few apps that don't install or work, but for the most part, it's
just like on a 32-bit system. For those that don't, I can't really say if
the reason is even due to the 32- v. 64-bit architecture...

"Theoretically" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Another question, since I am assuming you all have 64 bit processors, did

XP
> 32 bit give you any problems because you were running with a 64-bit

processor
> in a 32 bit environment, ie blue screens, lock ups, random events?
>
> Sorry but another question. Since I know that x64 isn't a true 64 bit

system
> because the AMD chips are actually 48 bit and the intel ones are 52 bit,

but
> do you see a visible performance gain when running programs that are 32

bit?

=?Utf-8?B?QUE=?=

I've installed windows xp x64 in a barebone pc using a AMD athlon 64
processer. Everything works wonderfully. However, just recently I installed
2 older hard drives from an older PC using windows Xp home edtion with a ton
of files and pictures on it. x64 recognize hard drives but I can't get access
to the files. Its saids I must formatted the hard drives. I know if I do
that I will lose everthing on the drives.

"Theoretically" wrote:

> Does Windows XP x64 recognize hard drives that have data from the 32 bit
> version of windows xp? Is the NTFS the same or is it different?

Rick

It sounds like there may be a hardware incompatibility. You cannot
always unplug a hard drive from one computer, plug it into another and
guarantee it will be properly recognized.

I don't think your problem is caused by in x64.

You would probably be safer connecting the 2 computers and transferring
the files that way. You could use a null modem serial or parallel
cable, and ethernet cable, or something along these lines.

I had a similar experience just the other day. I had unplugged the USB
drive on my wife's computer and couldn't remember which port it had been
connected to. After turning the drive enclosure on, XP Pro told me the
drive was unformatted. I knew that wasn't true, so I unplugged it from
the port it was in and plugged it in to the one directly below. The
drive was immediately recognized as before.