Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > WINS server not a WINS client

WINS server not a WINS client

Corrado Labinaz

Hi to everyone,

taking a practice test for 70-216 I found out a question stateing a WINS
server was not working becasue it was not a WINS client too.
Can someone explain this?

AFAIK a WINS client connect to a WINS server using the server IP address.
There should be no (WINS related) need for the WINS client to resolve the
WINS server name.

Kind regards,
Corrado

Steven L Umbach

Probably because the server that wins is installed on also needs to resolve netbios
names, such as in a situation where it had a replication partners name in it's
configuration on a different subnet. --- Steve

"Corrado Labinaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi to everyone,
>
> taking a practice test for 70-216 I found out a question stateing a WINS
> server was not working becasue it was not a WINS client too.
> Can someone explain this?
>
> AFAIK a WINS client connect to a WINS server using the server IP address.
> There should be no (WINS related) need for the WINS client to resolve the
> WINS server name.
>
> Kind regards,
> Corrado

Herb Martin

> taking a practice test for 70-216 I found out a question stateing a WINS
> server was not working becasue it was not a WINS client too.
> Can someone explain this?
>
> AFAIK a WINS client connect to a WINS server using the server IP address.
> There should be no (WINS related) need for the WINS client to resolve the
> WINS server name.

In another post, Steven gave you part of the answer:
The WINS server typically needs to resolve NetBIOS names to
so it must be a WINS client from a pure client perspective.

There are several (related) additional reasons also:
1) Since WINS is almost always a DYNAMICALLY registered
service, the WINS servers won't be in the database unless they are
also WINS clients -- the "real clients" won't be able to find them.

This can mess up legacy client authentication and resource access
(shares and printers may be in accessible on these servers; users
may have trouble logging on.)

2) WINS servers are also likely to be browse masters or and one
will be the Domain Master Browser they will need to locate and
be located by that Domain Master Browser to browse across
subnets.

Browsing is a NetBIOS "legacy" application, so if NetBIOS cannot
resolve the master browser names then browsing will be limited to
resources on EACH subnet separately.

Simple NetBIOS resolution is broadcast based so WINS is needed
to resolve names (easily) across subnets.

--
Herb Martin