Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > ODBC driver problems

ODBC driver problems

Grant

Hello,

We recently setup our first Windows XP Pro x64 workstation. We have an
application that uses a 32-bit database driver and DSN's. If I try to
configure the DSN in the Data Source Administrator, the only driver
available is SQL Server (not even Access Jet drivers show up). If our
application tries to create the DSN's programmically, it generates an error.

I know the 32-bit database drivers work since I can connect to the database
using Excel, VBA, and a connection string that doesn't require a DSN.
Unfortunately our software wasn't made by us and it does require a DSN.

Can someone tell me how to create a DSN in x64 using 32-bit drivers?

Many Thanks!

Grant

PS
Our database is a Pervasive v8 database - and the people on the Pervasive
forums had little information that helped...

DKI

32bit drivers will not work on Windows XP X64.

You need a 64bit driver.

"Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> We recently setup our first Windows XP Pro x64 workstation. We have an
> application that uses a 32-bit database driver and DSN's. If I try to
> configure the DSN in the Data Source Administrator, the only driver
> available is SQL Server (not even Access Jet drivers show up). If our
> application tries to create the DSN's programmically, it generates an
> error.
>
> I know the 32-bit database drivers work since I can connect to the
> database using Excel, VBA, and a connection string that doesn't require a
> DSN. Unfortunately our software wasn't made by us and it does require a
> DSN.
>
> Can someone tell me how to create a DSN in x64 using 32-bit drivers?
>
> Many Thanks!
>
> Grant
>
> PS
> Our database is a Pervasive v8 database - and the people on the Pervasive
> forums had little information that helped...

DKI

Also contact the manufucture of the software to see if there are any plans
to support there products Windows XP X64.

"DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ok%(E-Mail Removed)...
> 32bit drivers will not work on Windows XP X64.
>
> You need a 64bit driver.
>
> "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> We recently setup our first Windows XP Pro x64 workstation. We have an
>> application that uses a 32-bit database driver and DSN's. If I try to
>> configure the DSN in the Data Source Administrator, the only driver
>> available is SQL Server (not even Access Jet drivers show up). If our
>> application tries to create the DSN's programmically, it generates an
>> error.
>>
>> I know the 32-bit database drivers work since I can connect to the
>> database using Excel, VBA, and a connection string that doesn't require a
>> DSN. Unfortunately our software wasn't made by us and it does require a
>> DSN.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to create a DSN in x64 using 32-bit drivers?
>>
>> Many Thanks!
>>
>> Grant
>>
>> PS
>> Our database is a Pervasive v8 database - and the people on the Pervasive
>> forums had little information that helped...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You need native 62-bit drivers for ODBC, you could check the
microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr group and post a query about this,
maybe they will give you some information about when support is coming.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> We recently setup our first Windows XP Pro x64 workstation. We have an
> application that uses a 32-bit database driver and DSN's. If I try to
> configure the DSN in the Data Source Administrator, the only driver
> available is SQL Server (not even Access Jet drivers show up). If our
> application tries to create the DSN's programmically, it generates an
> error.
>
> I know the 32-bit database drivers work since I can connect to the
> database using Excel, VBA, and a connection string that doesn't require a
> DSN. Unfortunately our software wasn't made by us and it does require a
> DSN.
>
> Can someone tell me how to create a DSN in x64 using 32-bit drivers?
>
> Many Thanks!
>
> Grant
>
> PS
> Our database is a Pervasive v8 database - and the people on the Pervasive
> forums had little information that helped...

WM

62-bit?

news:u7J$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need native 62-bit drivers for ODBC, you could check the
> microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr group and post a query about this,
> maybe they will give you some information about when support is coming.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> We recently setup our first Windows XP Pro x64 workstation. We have an
>> application that uses a 32-bit database driver and DSN's. If I try to
>> configure the DSN in the Data Source Administrator, the only driver
>> available is SQL Server (not even Access Jet drivers show up). If our
>> application tries to create the DSN's programmically, it generates an
>> error.
>>
>> I know the 32-bit database drivers work since I can connect to the
>> database using Excel, VBA, and a connection string that doesn't require a
>> DSN. Unfortunately our software wasn't made by us and it does require a
>> DSN.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to create a DSN in x64 using 32-bit drivers?
>>
>> Many Thanks!
>>
>> Grant
>>
>> PS
>> Our database is a Pervasive v8 database - and the people on the Pervasive
>> forums had little information that helped...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Oops, I meant 64-bit.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"WM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 62-bit?

> news:u7J$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You need native 62-bit drivers for ODBC, you could check the
>> microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr group and post a query about this,
>> maybe they will give you some information about when support is coming.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We recently setup our first Windows XP Pro x64 workstation. We have an
>>> application that uses a 32-bit database driver and DSN's. If I try to
>>> configure the DSN in the Data Source Administrator, the only driver
>>> available is SQL Server (not even Access Jet drivers show up). If our
>>> application tries to create the DSN's programmically, it generates an
>>> error.
>>>
>>> I know the 32-bit database drivers work since I can connect to the
>>> database using Excel, VBA, and a connection string that doesn't require
>>> a DSN. Unfortunately our software wasn't made by us and it does require
>>> a DSN.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to create a DSN in x64 using 32-bit drivers?
>>>
>>> Many Thanks!
>>>
>>> Grant
>>>
>>> PS
>>> Our database is a Pervasive v8 database - and the people on the
>>> Pervasive forums had little information that helped...

Grant

The 32-bit Pervasive database drivers do indeed work on x64, unfortunately I
just can't create System DSN's with them.

I'm working with our software vendor to create a connection string that
doesn't use a DSN so hopefully that will resolve the situation. Thanks for
the tip on microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr... if the vendor can't
deliver then I'll see if we can figure out a work-around there.

Cheers!

Grant

news:u7J$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need native 62-bit drivers for ODBC, you could check the
> microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr group and post a query about this,
> maybe they will give you some information about when support is coming.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> We recently setup our first Windows XP Pro x64 workstation. We have an
>> application that uses a 32-bit database driver and DSN's. If I try to
>> configure the DSN in the Data Source Administrator, the only driver
>> available is SQL Server (not even Access Jet drivers show up). If our
>> application tries to create the DSN's programmically, it generates an
>> error.
>>
>> I know the 32-bit database drivers work since I can connect to the
>> database using Excel, VBA, and a connection string that doesn't require a
>> DSN. Unfortunately our software wasn't made by us and it does require a
>> DSN.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to create a DSN in x64 using 32-bit drivers?
>>
>> Many Thanks!
>>
>> Grant
>>
>> PS
>> Our database is a Pervasive v8 database - and the people on the Pervasive
>> forums had little information that helped...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You are welcome, I hope everything works out ok.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The 32-bit Pervasive database drivers do indeed work on x64, unfortunately
> I just can't create System DSN's with them.
>
> I'm working with our software vendor to create a connection string that
> doesn't use a DSN so hopefully that will resolve the situation. Thanks
> for the tip on microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr... if the vendor
> can't deliver then I'll see if we can figure out a work-around there.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Grant

> news:u7J$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You need native 62-bit drivers for ODBC, you could check the
>> microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr group and post a query about this,
>> maybe they will give you some information about when support is coming.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We recently setup our first Windows XP Pro x64 workstation. We have an
>>> application that uses a 32-bit database driver and DSN's. If I try to
>>> configure the DSN in the Data Source Administrator, the only driver
>>> available is SQL Server (not even Access Jet drivers show up). If our
>>> application tries to create the DSN's programmically, it generates an
>>> error.
>>>
>>> I know the 32-bit database drivers work since I can connect to the
>>> database using Excel, VBA, and a connection string that doesn't require
>>> a DSN. Unfortunately our software wasn't made by us and it does require
>>> a DSN.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to create a DSN in x64 using 32-bit drivers?
>>>
>>> Many Thanks!
>>>
>>> Grant
>>>
>>> PS
>>> Our database is a Pervasive v8 database - and the people on the
>>> Pervasive forums had little information that helped...

Grant

I just wanted to follow up on my original post to the benefit of the news
group. Here is what I've found out about configuring 32-bit ODBC System
DSN's:

1) Many 32-bit database drivers DO WORK on x64.
2) To create DSN's from 32-bit drivers (Pervasive, MS Access, etc), you need
to run "c:\windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe".

HTH,

Grant