Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > slow as molasses

slow as molasses

Chuck

Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors and 512
MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes ages
to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens of minutes
to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my old under-powered
PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am at a loss.

Any help??

Chuck

Amduh1

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23thNM1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors and 512
> MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
> The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes ages
> to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens of minutes
> to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my old
> under-powered PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am at
> a loss.
>
> Any help??
>
> Chuck

Have you checked the BIOS settings and/or jumpers on that new mobo? .

Sean M

Also check the disk controllers in Device Manager -- make sure they are
using Ultra DMA.

"Amduh1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:emC%23i3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23thNM1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors and

512
> > MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
> > The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes

ages
> > to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens of

minutes
> > to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my old
> > under-powered PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am

at
> > a loss.
> >
> > Any help??
> >
> > Chuck
> >

> Have you checked the BIOS settings and/or jumpers on that new mobo? .

NoNoBadDog!

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23thNM1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors and 512
> MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
> The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes ages
> to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens of minutes
> to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my old
> under-powered PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am at
> a loss.
>
> Any help??
>
> Chuck

Have you loaded chipset, motherboard and processor drivers?
Does your BIOS support the installed CPUs?
What type of drives are installed (IDE, RAID)?

Bobby

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Did you check the event viewer to see if anything did not load properly or
any errors?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23thNM1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors and 512
> MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
> The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes ages
> to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens of minutes
> to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my old
> under-powered PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am at
> a loss.
>
> Any help??
>
> Chuck

Charlie Russel - MVP

Gee, everyone else wants you to check BIOS and chipset drivers. BIOS,
certainly. Chipset drivers? never used them yet. But have a slightly
misconfigured network connection and you get exactly this behaviour. Or a
drive controller that has to time out to find something.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Chuck wrote:
> Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors
> and 512 MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
> The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes
> ages to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens
> of minutes to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my
> old under-powered PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast
> machine! Am at a loss.
> Any help??
>
> Chuck

=?Utf-8?B?SmVpbmhvcg==?=

A friend ended up with the same problem after installing x64 LAN-drivers. Try
deactivating devices, and check when it starts to run smoothly again. I guess
it takes ages for it to start to? Alternatively you reinstall, and then
install drivers one by one (perhaps reboot between each) and you'll see which
device or driver causes the problem. If you find out it is a driver, just
download the latest from the manufacturers homepage; nevermind the
"BETA"-mark on the drivers, just try them all...

"Chuck" wrote:

> Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors and 512
> MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
> The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes ages
> to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens of minutes
> to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my old under-powered
> PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am at a loss.
>
> Any help??
>
> Chuck

Chuck Goldstein

Thanks, all! I did a couple of things suggested but do not understand all.

I looked at the bios. It all looked good!? But hyper-threading was
disabled. Is there a reason for that? Could it have to do with having 2
cpu's? Would it be best to enable?

In the process of looking at the bios, I rebooted several times. Today the
system was much faster for the Photoshop functions but took ages again to
load Microsoft Outlook and the Control module 'Add or Remove Programs'. I
rebooted and re-executed Microsoft Outlook ... this time it came up
immediately. Any thoughts?

Is there a way to measure the speed of the 2 PC's? - one with and one
without x64.

Chuck

"Jeinhor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A friend ended up with the same problem after installing x64 LAN-drivers.
>Try
> deactivating devices, and check when it starts to run smoothly again. I
> guess
> it takes ages for it to start to? Alternatively you reinstall, and then
> install drivers one by one (perhaps reboot between each) and you'll see
> which
> device or driver causes the problem. If you find out it is a driver, just
> download the latest from the manufacturers homepage; nevermind the
> "BETA"-mark on the drivers, just try them all...
>
> "Chuck" wrote:
>
>> Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors and
>> 512
>> MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
>> The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes
>> ages
>> to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens of
>> minutes
>> to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my old
>> under-powered
>> PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am at a loss.
>>
>> Any help??
>>
>> Chuck

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

For Benchmark testing, SiSoftware seems like an appropriate solution:
SiSoftware extends 64-bit EM64T support to Intel-based workstations &
servers

London, UK, June 1 2004 - SiSoftware announced today that it has unveiled
its 64-bit software technology update, optimised for both AMD's AMD64
platform as well as Intel's EM64T platform - including the newly released
Intel Xeon processor with 64-bit extension technology. This version has been
designed to provide native performance benchmarking on both 32-bit and
64-bit platforms enabling users to compare and contrast the benefits of
transitioning from a 32-bit to a 64-bit environment. The Sandra common code
base ensures ease of support and coverage for all benchmarks, diagnostics
and features to operate across multiple platforms and architectures
effortlessly.

Available to download now, the award winning Sandra 2004 SP2 now covers all
current Windows platforms from the existing Win32 (x86), Win64 IA64
(Itanium), Win64 x641 (AMD64/EM64T) to WinCE (ARM: Pocket PC 2000, 2002,
2003, 2003SE; Smart Phone 2002, 2003, 2003SE).

--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta