Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is XP 64 Professional ready for production use?

Is XP 64 Professional ready for production use?

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= gleaves@hotmail.com>

OK your comments are welcome on this.

I am running a full OEM version of XP 64 for x64 CPU.

It runs fine but on a new install, with a new install of IIS I am having
problems running/accessing ASP.NET 2 projects, even simple one page demo
projects!

I posted a bug to MS here:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produc...f-0b654300a957

So I have a simple question, is XP 64 with IIS 6 ready for real world use or
is it still unstable?

Is it IIS 6, XP 64 or simply the beta 2 nature of .NET that is causing me
hassle?

Has ANYONE managed to build (even a very simple) ASP.NET app on XP 64 (OEM
release) that actually runs/works?

I am using

OEM Version of XP 64 purchased from TigerDirect
VS 2005 Beta 2

I am talking about a fresh install of XP64 then a fresh install of VS 2005
and NOTHING else, no other apps, projects, tools etc have been installed.

Like I said, it runs fine I have no crashing or odd behaviour, in fact it
recognised EVERY hardware device I had in my machine AND I was able to access
the web using IE the VERY FIRST time I logged in, so this is all very
impressive.

Input much appreciated.

Hugh

Colin Barnhorst

x64 is stable and has been final for two months. IIS is working for me (it
is a prerequisite for Virtual Server SP1 beta). As far as your references
to "OEM", that's all there is. There is no boxed, retail version. Others
can speak to ASP.NET.

"Hugo http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK your comments are welcome on this.
>
> I am running a full OEM version of XP 64 for x64 CPU.
>
> It runs fine but on a new install, with a new install of IIS I am having
> problems running/accessing ASP.NET 2 projects, even simple one page demo
> projects!
>
> I posted a bug to MS here:
>
> http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produc...f-0b654300a957
>
> So I have a simple question, is XP 64 with IIS 6 ready for real world use
> or
> is it still unstable?
>
> Is it IIS 6, XP 64 or simply the beta 2 nature of .NET that is causing me
> hassle?
>
> Has ANYONE managed to build (even a very simple) ASP.NET app on XP 64 (OEM
> release) that actually runs/works?
>
> I am using
>
> OEM Version of XP 64 purchased from TigerDirect
> VS 2005 Beta 2
>
> I am talking about a fresh install of XP64 then a fresh install of VS 2005
> and NOTHING else, no other apps, projects, tools etc have been installed.
>
> Like I said, it runs fine I have no crashing or odd behaviour, in fact it
> recognised EVERY hardware device I had in my machine AND I was able to
> access
> the web using IE the VERY FIRST time I logged in, so this is all very
> impressive.
>
> Input much appreciated.
>
> Hugh

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4benefits.mspx

White Paper - Word doc.
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...indows_x64.doc
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK your comments are welcome on this.
>
> I am running a full OEM version of XP 64 for x64 CPU.
>
> It runs fine but on a new install, with a new install of IIS I am having
> problems running/accessing ASP.NET 2 projects, even simple one page demo
> projects!
>
> I posted a bug to MS here:
>
> http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produc...f-0b654300a957
>
> So I have a simple question, is XP 64 with IIS 6 ready for real world use
> or
> is it still unstable?
>
> Is it IIS 6, XP 64 or simply the beta 2 nature of .NET that is causing me
> hassle?
>
> Has ANYONE managed to build (even a very simple) ASP.NET app on XP 64 (OEM
> release) that actually runs/works?
>
> I am using
>
> OEM Version of XP 64 purchased from TigerDirect
> VS 2005 Beta 2
>
> I am talking about a fresh install of XP64 then a fresh install of VS 2005
> and NOTHING else, no other apps, projects, tools etc have been installed.
>
> Like I said, it runs fine I have no crashing or odd behaviour, in fact it
> recognised EVERY hardware device I had in my machine AND I was able to
> access
> the web using IE the VERY FIRST time I logged in, so this is all very
> impressive.
>
> Input much appreciated.
>
> Hugh

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= gleaves@hotmail.com>

Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and building some
sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!

My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.

Thks
Hugh

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4benefits.mspx
>
> White Paper - Word doc.
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...indows_x64.doc
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > OK your comments are welcome on this.
> >
> > I am running a full OEM version of XP 64 for x64 CPU.
> >
> > It runs fine but on a new install, with a new install of IIS I am having
> > problems running/accessing ASP.NET 2 projects, even simple one page demo
> > projects!
> >
> > I posted a bug to MS here:
> >
> > http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produc...f-0b654300a957
> >
> > So I have a simple question, is XP 64 with IIS 6 ready for real world use
> > or
> > is it still unstable?
> >
> > Is it IIS 6, XP 64 or simply the beta 2 nature of .NET that is causing me
> > hassle?
> >
> > Has ANYONE managed to build (even a very simple) ASP.NET app on XP 64 (OEM
> > release) that actually runs/works?
> >
> > I am using
> >
> > OEM Version of XP 64 purchased from TigerDirect
> > VS 2005 Beta 2
> >
> > I am talking about a fresh install of XP64 then a fresh install of VS 2005
> > and NOTHING else, no other apps, projects, tools etc have been installed.
> >
> > Like I said, it runs fine I have no crashing or odd behaviour, in fact it
> > recognised EVERY hardware device I had in my machine AND I was able to
> > access
> > the web using IE the VERY FIRST time I logged in, so this is all very
> > impressive.
> >
> > Input much appreciated.
> >
> > Hugh

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I am at a lost when it comes to IIS 6 and ASP.NET.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and building
> some
> sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!
>
> My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.
>
> Thks
> Hugh
>

> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4benefits.mspx
>>
>> White Paper - Word doc.
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...indows_x64.doc
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > OK your comments are welcome on this.
>> >
>> > I am running a full OEM version of XP 64 for x64 CPU.
>> >
>> > It runs fine but on a new install, with a new install of IIS I am
>> > having
>> > problems running/accessing ASP.NET 2 projects, even simple one page
>> > demo
>> > projects!
>> >
>> > I posted a bug to MS here:
>> >
>> > http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produc...f-0b654300a957
>> >
>> > So I have a simple question, is XP 64 with IIS 6 ready for real world
>> > use
>> > or
>> > is it still unstable?
>> >
>> > Is it IIS 6, XP 64 or simply the beta 2 nature of .NET that is causing
>> > me
>> > hassle?
>> >
>> > Has ANYONE managed to build (even a very simple) ASP.NET app on XP 64
>> > (OEM
>> > release) that actually runs/works?
>> >
>> > I am using
>> >
>> > OEM Version of XP 64 purchased from TigerDirect
>> > VS 2005 Beta 2
>> >
>> > I am talking about a fresh install of XP64 then a fresh install of VS
>> > 2005
>> > and NOTHING else, no other apps, projects, tools etc have been
>> > installed.
>> >
>> > Like I said, it runs fine I have no crashing or odd behaviour, in fact
>> > it
>> > recognised EVERY hardware device I had in my machine AND I was able to
>> > access
>> > the web using IE the VERY FIRST time I logged in, so this is all very
>> > impressive.
>> >
>> > Input much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Hugh

WM

We've had quite a few problems running IIS on X64 XP at my office...

"Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and building
> some
> sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!
>
> My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.
>
> Thks
> Hugh
>

> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4benefits.mspx
>>
>> White Paper - Word doc.
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...indows_x64.doc
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > OK your comments are welcome on this.
>> >
>> > I am running a full OEM version of XP 64 for x64 CPU.
>> >
>> > It runs fine but on a new install, with a new install of IIS I am
>> > having
>> > problems running/accessing ASP.NET 2 projects, even simple one page
>> > demo
>> > projects!
>> >
>> > I posted a bug to MS here:
>> >
>> > http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produc...f-0b654300a957
>> >
>> > So I have a simple question, is XP 64 with IIS 6 ready for real world
>> > use
>> > or
>> > is it still unstable?
>> >
>> > Is it IIS 6, XP 64 or simply the beta 2 nature of .NET that is causing
>> > me
>> > hassle?
>> >
>> > Has ANYONE managed to build (even a very simple) ASP.NET app on XP 64
>> > (OEM
>> > release) that actually runs/works?
>> >
>> > I am using
>> >
>> > OEM Version of XP 64 purchased from TigerDirect
>> > VS 2005 Beta 2
>> >
>> > I am talking about a fresh install of XP64 then a fresh install of VS
>> > 2005
>> > and NOTHING else, no other apps, projects, tools etc have been
>> > installed.
>> >
>> > Like I said, it runs fine I have no crashing or odd behaviour, in fact
>> > it
>> > recognised EVERY hardware device I had in my machine AND I was able to
>> > access
>> > the web using IE the VERY FIRST time I logged in, so this is all very
>> > impressive.
>> >
>> > Input much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Hugh

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and building
> some
> sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!
>
> My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.

I am not aware of us ever saying the use of Beta software is a "production
use" scenario.
Certainly the x64 products are more then capable of deployment in production
environment and daily use - both on the desktop and the server platforms.
Your use of Beta software may be the issue here.

Q. "... how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are. ..." - A. - very (based
on solid code base) + very + well it's Beta !!
--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and building
> some
> sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!
>
> My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.
>
> Thks
> Hugh
>

> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4benefits.mspx
>>
>> White Paper - Word doc.
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...indows_x64.doc
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > OK your comments are welcome on this.
>> >
>> > I am running a full OEM version of XP 64 for x64 CPU.
>> >
>> > It runs fine but on a new install, with a new install of IIS I am
>> > having
>> > problems running/accessing ASP.NET 2 projects, even simple one page
>> > demo
>> > projects!
>> >
>> > I posted a bug to MS here:
>> >
>> > http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produc...f-0b654300a957
>> >
>> > So I have a simple question, is XP 64 with IIS 6 ready for real world
>> > use
>> > or
>> > is it still unstable?
>> >
>> > Is it IIS 6, XP 64 or simply the beta 2 nature of .NET that is causing
>> > me
>> > hassle?
>> >
>> > Has ANYONE managed to build (even a very simple) ASP.NET app on XP 64
>> > (OEM
>> > release) that actually runs/works?
>> >
>> > I am using
>> >
>> > OEM Version of XP 64 purchased from TigerDirect
>> > VS 2005 Beta 2
>> >
>> > I am talking about a fresh install of XP64 then a fresh install of VS
>> > 2005
>> > and NOTHING else, no other apps, projects, tools etc have been
>> > installed.
>> >
>> > Like I said, it runs fine I have no crashing or odd behaviour, in fact
>> > it
>> > recognised EVERY hardware device I had in my machine AND I was able to
>> > access
>> > the web using IE the VERY FIRST time I logged in, so this is all very
>> > impressive.
>> >
>> > Input much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Hugh

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= gleaves@hotmail.com>

Thanks Mike

I understand your comments on beta.

Unless I am mistaken though, it is only VS 2005 beta 2 that is beta here?

XP 64 OEM is released code as is IIS 6, is this true?

Your comments suggest that IIS6 and XP64 should operate correctly (or are
fully expected to) and that my problem is probably due to VS 2005 beta 2
having some issues.

Is this a correct statement Mike?

Thanks
Hugh

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

> "Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and building
> > some
> > sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!
> >
> > My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.
> >

> I am not aware of us ever saying the use of Beta software is a "production
> use" scenario.
> Certainly the x64 products are more then capable of deployment in production
> environment and daily use - both on the desktop and the server platforms.
> Your use of Beta software may be the issue here.
>
> Q. "... how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are. ..." - A. - very (based
> on solid code base) + very + well it's Beta !!
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and building
> > some
> > sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!
> >
> > My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.
> >
> > Thks
> > Hugh
> >

> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4benefits.mspx
> >>
> >> White Paper - Word doc.
> >> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...indows_x64.doc
> >> --
> >> Andre
> >>
> >> "Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well Visual Studio 2005 is definitely still beta and won't be ready for
prime time until about November, I would report this to the
microsoft.private.whidbey.setup.visual_studio
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Mike
>
> I understand your comments on beta.
>
> Unless I am mistaken though, it is only VS 2005 beta 2 that is beta here?
>
> XP 64 OEM is released code as is IIS 6, is this true?
>
> Your comments suggest that IIS6 and XP64 should operate correctly (or are
> fully expected to) and that my problem is probably due to VS 2005 beta 2
> having some issues.
>
> Is this a correct statement Mike?
>
> Thanks
> Hugh
>

> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> "Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and
>> > building
>> > some
>> > sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!
>> >
>> > My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.
>> >

>> I am not aware of us ever saying the use of Beta software is a
>> "production
>> use" scenario.
>> Certainly the x64 products are more then capable of deployment in
>> production
>> environment and daily use - both on the desktop and the server platforms.
>> Your use of Beta software may be the issue here.
>>
>> Q. "... how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are. ..." - A. - very
>> (based
>> on solid code base) + very + well it's Beta !!
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike
>> --
>> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

>> rights
>>
>> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
>> newsgroups
>>
>> "Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and
>> > building
>> > some
>> > sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!
>> >
>> > My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.
>> >
>> > Thks
>> > Hugh

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Hugo (E-Mail Removed)>" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Mike
>
> I understand your comments on beta.
>
> Unless I am mistaken though, it is only VS 2005 beta 2 that is beta here?
>
> XP 64 OEM is released code as is IIS 6, is this true?
>
> Your comments suggest that IIS6 and XP64 should operate correctly (or are
> fully expected to) and that my problem is probably due to VS 2005 beta 2
> having some issues.
>
> Is this a correct statement Mike?

Yes that is a fair summary of what I said.

--

Regards,

Mike
--