Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > SataII 250gb HD's and WinXP x64

SataII 250gb HD's and WinXP x64

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUM=?=

In my new build I plan on having a sataII hd and run winxp 64-bit. The
problem is that while reading about sataII it says that in order for windows
to recognize that you have a 250gb hd instead of showing 130gb is by
installing SP1. I'm wondering if xp64 has sp1 installed or will it atleast
show my 250gb?

thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

First, make sure that your SATA controller has drivers! There have been major
issues with Nvidia drivers up to this point. That being said, x64 Edition is
the same code base as Windows Server 2003 SP1 -- well after Windows XP SP2,
and incorporating all the changes that were part of that SP. So the issue
won't be Windows, but the controller manufacturers.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

MikeC wrote:
> In my new build I plan on having a sataII hd and run winxp 64-bit. The
> problem is that while reading about sataII it says that in order for
> windows to recognize that you have a 250gb hd instead of showing
> 130gb is by installing SP1. I'm wondering if xp64 has sp1 installed
> or will it atleast show my 250gb?
>
> thanks

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Actually, that is Windows XP x86, Windows XP Professional x64 has support
for large drives like yours. When installing x64 have your F6 drivers ready
to installed during the text based portion of setup in x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my new build I plan on having a sataII hd and run winxp 64-bit. The
> problem is that while reading about sataII it says that in order for
> windows
> to recognize that you have a 250gb hd instead of showing 130gb is by
> installing SP1. I'm wondering if xp64 has sp1 installed or will it atleast
> show my 250gb?
>
> thanks

Rick

To the best of my knowledge, Windows x64 will see the entire drive. The
SP1 of Win x64 is supposed to have most, if not all of the 32 bit SP2
features. The code base for Win x64 is not the same code base as XP 32 bit.

For 32 bit Windows XP Home & Pro, if you have SP2 slip streamed into the
installation disc, it will see drives larger than 130GB.

MikeC wrote:
> In my new build I plan on having a sataII hd and run winxp 64-bit. The
> problem is that while reading about sataII it says that in order for windows
> to recognize that you have a 250gb hd instead of showing 130gb is by
> installing SP1. I'm wondering if xp64 has sp1 installed or will it atleast
> show my 250gb?
>
> thanks

-Dan-

Mike,

I am running 2 250 Maxtors RAID 0 and no problems with the install; once I
figured out what I needed to do to get it to work. Disk manager sees the
stripe set as one drive that one can set up as desired.

One thing I have found that I would like to pass along. It appears that
when my HD gets defraged a little to much, the OS and apps get quite
unstable. That's probably a HD trait. I haven't heard if anyone else has
eperienced this. So I setup a nightly defraging session and haven't
experienced any more problems. Oops... hope that don't bring on the bad
luck.

--
--Dan--

"MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| In my new build I plan on having a sataII hd and run winxp 64-bit. The
| problem is that while reading about sataII it says that in order for
windows
| to recognize that you have a 250gb hd instead of showing 130gb is by
| installing SP1. I'm wondering if xp64 has sp1 installed or will it atleast
| show my 250gb?
|
| thanks

M. Murcek

Like Charlie said - some people are having major grief with SATA II and RAID
0 on x64 Edition. Search on John Barnes' posts to read what happens when
the controller and the disks don't get along...

"MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my new build I plan on having a sataII hd and run winxp 64-bit. The
> problem is that while reading about sataII it says that in order for
> windows
> to recognize that you have a 250gb hd instead of showing 130gb is by
> installing SP1. I'm wondering if xp64 has sp1 installed or will it atleast
> show my 250gb?
>
> thanks

DKI

The original release of Windows XP had the 130Gb issue. that was resolved in
Windows XP SP1.

Server 2003 and Server 2003 SP1 never had that issue and Windows XP X64 is
based on server 2003 SP1.

Server 2003 SP1 (including Windows XP X64) also contains the security
features that were implemented into Windows XP SP2 code.

That information is out of date. now unless your using the original XP
(32bit) disk.

"MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my new build I plan on having a sataII hd and run winxp 64-bit. The
> problem is that while reading about sataII it says that in order for
> windows
> to recognize that you have a 250gb hd instead of showing 130gb is by
> installing SP1. I'm wondering if xp64 has sp1 installed or will it atleast
> show my 250gb?
>
> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUM=?=

May i ask where i might be able to find these drivers? From the manufactors
website?

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Actually, that is Windows XP x86, Windows XP Professional x64 has support
> for large drives like yours. When installing x64 have your F6 drivers ready
> to installed during the text based portion of setup in x64.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In my new build I plan on having a sataII hd and run winxp 64-bit. The
> > problem is that while reading about sataII it says that in order for
> > windows
> > to recognize that you have a 250gb hd instead of showing 130gb is by
> > installing SP1. I'm wondering if xp64 has sp1 installed or will it atleast
> > show my 250gb?
> >
> > thanks

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUM=?=

So where might i be able to find these drivers? on the manufactures website?

"MikeC" wrote:

> In my new build I plan on having a sataII hd and run winxp 64-bit. The
> problem is that while reading about sataII it says that in order for windows
> to recognize that you have a 250gb hd instead of showing 130gb is by
> installing SP1. I'm wondering if xp64 has sp1 installed or will it atleast
> show my 250gb?
>
> thanks

DKI

The Drivers for you Sata controller (which you may need for F6 setup) you
have to goto either the motherboard or chipset manufuctures site