Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Media Center Edition

Media Center Edition

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

So, anything said about SP for Virtual PC 2004 that enables support on x64
was nothing but rumours.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> DKI,
>
> I'm sorry but I do not have an public information that I can disclose at
> this time with regard to our support for our virtualization technologies
> on the x64 platform.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok thanks mike that would be Appreciated.
>>
>> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I'll get back to you on that - I have to do a few other things first a
>>> bit of research.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mike
>>> --
>>> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

>>> rights
>>>
>>> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
>>> newsgroups
>>>
>>> "DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

But it is confusing for us newsgroupies too. For example, MCE started out
as a derivative of XP Pro but with MCE 2005 that is no longer the case. So
one day the answer to smp support is yes and the next no. I didn't get the
memo until somebody politely corrected me. Multiply things like that across
all kinds of editions, throw in Windows XP N and the dumbed-down versions
for some overseas markets and a-waaay we go. These newsgroups get posters
from all over the world using all kinds of editions under all kinds of
licenses. We're going to be correcting each other more often than we will
be helping out. I think MS should have left it at one standalone client and
one domain client and made the rest modular.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually, when its distributed through OEM's its the OEM's responsibility
> for support, not Microsoft's. Anyway, Microsoft has the resources to
> support these editions of XP and remember, there is always the newsgroups.
>
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:uDF4d%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The real issue I would think is the support load for that many editions.
>> Would you want to work in a call center doing support for more flavors of
>> Windows than Baskins and Robbins ice creams? And how many menu items
>> would there be on the phone line?
>>
>> --
>> "WM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Note that Embedded is generally a component explosion of Pro in the case
>>> of XP today - would likely continue in LH as well.
>>>
>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...

DKI

Sadily that Windows XP N edition is the result of the European Commission
which was a complete waist of time since few or even none of the
manufuctures are going to sell it. and i doubt most stores will sell it as
some had said.

The result of the N edition was cause of real and there complaints about WMP
being bundled with the OS. but i would of thought with the laws we have the
European Commission would of had to let them put on the package Without WMP
since the product is slightly misleading if it is not there and can confuse
consumers.

Why i can't speak for others but i have to say i prefer an OS i buy to come
with a media player and to come straigh out the box as do other people i
know. why WMP has been bundled with windows for years it i know many people
have downloaded and tried others and many of them also hate real player. the
most i know people use is either WMP or Winamp. some i know use open source
media players.

hopfully future editions in europe will just be the 1 which is with WMP and
not another without.

news:eh3z3Z$(E-Mail Removed)...
> But it is confusing for us newsgroupies too. For example, MCE started out
> as a derivative of XP Pro but with MCE 2005 that is no longer the case.
> So one day the answer to smp support is yes and the next no. I didn't get
> the memo until somebody politely corrected me. Multiply things like that
> across all kinds of editions, throw in Windows XP N and the dumbed-down
> versions for some overseas markets and a-waaay we go. These newsgroups
> get posters from all over the world using all kinds of editions under all
> kinds of licenses. We're going to be correcting each other more often
> than we will be helping out. I think MS should have left it at one
> standalone client and one domain client and made the rest modular.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Actually, when its distributed through OEM's its the OEM's responsibility
>> for support, not Microsoft's. Anyway, Microsoft has the resources to
>> support these editions of XP and remember, there is always the
>> newsgroups.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:uDF4d%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The real issue I would think is the support load for that many editions.
>>> Would you want to work in a call center doing support for more flavors
>>> of Windows than Baskins and Robbins ice creams? And how many menu items
>>> would there be on the phone line?
>>>
>>> --
>>> "WM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

I am confident in the vox populi on the matter of Windows XP N. Why would a
PC builder bother with it? The whole resolution dripped with spite.

I personally prefer (slightly) WinAmp over any other player. There are some
files that WinAmp will play that WMP just can't.

"DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OGY1M3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sadily that Windows XP N edition is the result of the European Commission
> which was a complete waist of time since few or even none of the
> manufuctures are going to sell it. and i doubt most stores will sell it as
> some had said.
>
> The result of the N edition was cause of real and there complaints about
> WMP being bundled with the OS. but i would of thought with the laws we
> have the European Commission would of had to let them put on the package
> Without WMP since the product is slightly misleading if it is not there
> and can confuse consumers.
>
> Why i can't speak for others but i have to say i prefer an OS i buy to
> come with a media player and to come straigh out the box as do other
> people i know. why WMP has been bundled with windows for years it i know
> many people have downloaded and tried others and many of them also hate
> real player. the most i know people use is either WMP or Winamp. some i
> know use open source media players.
>
> hopfully future editions in europe will just be the 1 which is with WMP
> and not another without.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eh3z3Z$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> But it is confusing for us newsgroupies too. For example, MCE started
>> out as a derivative of XP Pro but with MCE 2005 that is no longer the
>> case. So one day the answer to smp support is yes and the next no. I
>> didn't get the memo until somebody politely corrected me. Multiply
>> things like that across all kinds of editions, throw in Windows XP N and
>> the dumbed-down versions for some overseas markets and a-waaay we go.
>> These newsgroups get posters from all over the world using all kinds of
>> editions under all kinds of licenses. We're going to be correcting each
>> other more often than we will be helping out. I think MS should have
>> left it at one standalone client and one domain client and made the rest
>> modular.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Actually, when its distributed through OEM's its the OEM's
>>> responsibility for support, not Microsoft's. Anyway, Microsoft has the
>>> resources to support these editions of XP and remember, there is always
>>> the newsgroups.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:uDF4d%(E-Mail Removed)...

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

news:eh3z3Z$(E-Mail Removed)...
> But it is confusing for us newsgroupies too. For example, MCE started out
> as a derivative of XP Pro but with MCE 2005 that is no longer the case.

MCE 2005 is still an application that sits on top of a slightly modified
Windows XP Professional with SP2 (ability to join domain past setup removed)

--

Regards,

Mike
--