Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Virtual PC 2004

Virtual PC 2004

Jay

Will Virtual PC 2004 run under Win XP 64? Can I then install XP Pro or 2000
in a virtual PC running on 64?

ponpon.nul

Jay a écrit :
> Will Virtual PC 2004 run under Win XP 64? Can I then install XP Pro or 2000
> in a virtual PC running on 64?

No you should use VMWARE 5, wich is finela working under XP 64 bits

J0

Site : http://www.mesnews.net

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

No, Virtual PC 2004 is not compatible and their is no expected update
announced that will enable support un x64. In mean time you could try the
following alternatives, VM Ware Workstation 5.0 or Virtual Server 2005 SP1
BETA.

Download Virtual Server 2005 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...n/sp1beta.mspx

Remember, its beta:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Jay" <msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will Virtual PC 2004 run under Win XP 64? Can I then install XP Pro or
> 2000 in a virtual PC running on 64?

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, VPC doesn't work on x64 Edition. The current beta of SP1 for Virtual
Server, however, does support 32-bit clients on an x64 Host. No support for
x64 clients, however.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Jay wrote:
> Will Virtual PC 2004 run under Win XP 64? Can I then install XP Pro
> or 2000 in a virtual PC running on 64?

Colin Barnhorst

So, write us a new motherboard emulation to replace the Intel 440BX so we
can do 64-bit guests.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, VPC doesn't work on x64 Edition. The current beta of SP1 for Virtual
> Server, however, does support 32-bit clients on an x64 Host. No support
> for x64 clients, however.
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Jay wrote:
>> Will Virtual PC 2004 run under Win XP 64? Can I then install XP Pro
>> or 2000 in a virtual PC running on 64?

Jay

Thanks. I'm finding it almost pointless to run Windows 64 with it's limited
support for almost everything. Maybe MS should of waited till they
themselves supported their own hardware and software before releasing an OS
that won't run much...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, write us a new motherboard emulation to replace the Intel 440BX so we
> can do 64-bit guests.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No, VPC doesn't work on x64 Edition. The current beta of SP1 for Virtual
>> Server, however, does support 32-bit clients on an x64 Host. No support
>> for x64 clients, however.
>>
>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> ======================
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Jay wrote:
>>> Will Virtual PC 2004 run under Win XP 64? Can I then install XP Pro
>>> or 2000 in a virtual PC running on 64?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Which applications aren't work for you yet on x64 Jay?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Jay" <msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. I'm finding it almost pointless to run Windows 64 with it's
> limited support for almost everything. Maybe MS should of waited till
> they themselves supported their own hardware and software before releasing
> an OS that won't run much...
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So, write us a new motherboard emulation to replace the Intel 440BX so we
>> can do 64-bit guests.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> No, VPC doesn't work on x64 Edition. The current beta of SP1 for Virtual
>>> Server, however, does support 32-bit clients on an x64 Host. No support
>>> for x64 clients, however.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>>> ======================
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

=?Utf-8?B?emFjaw==?=

Microsoft makes it very clear that not everything is supported in Windows 64
yet, which is why they don't offer a retail box. Fortunately, a lot of
hardware and software vendors are currently working on porting their apps to
64. You will see a LOT more support very soon. All of my onboard hardware is
supported already. For my USB devices that aren't supported, I use VMware for
that.

I think of Windows X64 as a transitional product. When Longhorn comes along,
almost everything will have 64bit support. (All current HW at least).

"Jay" wrote:

> Thanks. I'm finding it almost pointless to run Windows 64 with it's limited
> support for almost everything. Maybe MS should of waited till they
> themselves supported their own hardware and software before releasing an OS
> that won't run much...
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > So, write us a new motherboard emulation to replace the Intel 440BX so we
> > can do 64-bit guests.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> No, VPC doesn't work on x64 Edition. The current beta of SP1 for Virtual
> >> Server, however, does support 32-bit clients on an x64 Host. No support
> >> for x64 clients, however.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> >> ======================
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Charlie Russel - MVP

Both Intel and AMD are working on hardware virtualization technology,
actually, built into the chips. Last I heard, AMD was ahead on this one, but
who knows if that's still true. But I'd expect, in a not too distant future,
to have the level of virtualization that is far beyond what we can do today,
fully supported at the chip level.

--

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> So, write us a new motherboard emulation to replace the Intel 440BX
> so we can do 64-bit guests.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No, VPC doesn't work on x64 Edition. The current beta of SP1 for
>> Virtual Server, however, does support 32-bit clients on an x64 Host.
>> No support for x64 clients, however.
>>
>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Jay wrote:
>>> Will Virtual PC 2004 run under Win XP 64? Can I then install XP Pro
>>> or 2000 in a virtual PC running on 64?

Colin Barnhorst

Pacifica is sounding really neat.

MS is in a great position to leverage their ownership of Windows.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...