Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > asus wifi-g pci card on x64

asus wifi-g pci card on x64

warpsix

i have installed the asus wifi g pci card and windows x64 is able to see
it. the other computer (xp home)is able to see it and the computers are
able to share files but the xp home computer is not able to access the
internet.i tried to run the one touch wizard (to make it the access
point)on the x64 machine but that software does not see the card as
being installed.anybody have any idea's or a work around.

Randy

Are you using a separate router/access point in the mix?

"warpsix" <nomail@home> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i have installed the asus wifi g pci card and windows x64 is able to see
> it. the other computer (xp home)is able to see it and the computers are
> able to share files but the xp home computer is not able to access the
> internet.i tried to run the one touch wizard (to make it the access
> point)on the x64 machine but that software does not see the card as
> being installed.anybody have any idea's or a work around.

warpsix

yes
i have a cable modem hooked up to a d link 604 wired router which is
hooked to the win x64 computer

Randy wrote:
> Are you using a separate router/access point in the mix?
>
> "warpsix" <nomail@home> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>i have installed the asus wifi g pci card and windows x64 is able to see
>>it. the other computer (xp home)is able to see it and the computers are
>>able to share files but the xp home computer is not able to access the
>>internet.i tried to run the one touch wizard (to make it the access
>>point)on the x64 machine but that software does not see the card as
>>being installed.anybody have any idea's or a work around.

warpsix

Thanks Randy,
I had thought that i needed the one touch software to make the pci card
"transmit" the internet . After your reply I removed the router and was
then able to use internet connection sharing to make everything work.

warpsix wrote:
> yes
> i have a cable modem hooked up to a d link 604 wired router which is
> hooked to the win x64 computer
>
> Randy wrote:
>
>> Are you using a separate router/access point in the mix?
>>
>> "warpsix" <nomail@home> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> i have installed the asus wifi g pci card and windows x64 is able to see
>>> it. the other computer (xp home)is able to see it and the computers are
>>> able to share files but the xp home computer is not able to access the
>>> internet.i tried to run the one touch wizard (to make it the access
>>> point)on the x64 machine but that software does not see the card as
>>> being installed.anybody have any idea's or a work around.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

"warpsix" wrote:

> i have installed the asus wifi g pci card and windows x64 is able to see
> it. the other computer (xp home)is able to see it and the computers are
> able to share files but the xp home computer is not able to access the
> internet.i tried to run the one touch wizard (to make it the access
> point)on the x64 machine but that software does not see the card as
> being installed.anybody have any idea's or a work around.

Configure WiFi for infrastructure mode, rather than ad-hoc.

warpsix

Chris wrote:

> "warpsix" wrote:
>

>>i have installed the asus wifi g pci card and windows x64 is able to see
>>it. the other computer (xp home)is able to see it and the computers are
>>able to share files but the xp home computer is not able to access the
>>internet.i tried to run the one touch wizard (to make it the access
>>point)on the x64 machine but that software does not see the card as
>>being installed.anybody have any idea's or a work around.
>>

> Configure WiFi for infrastructure mode, rather than ad-hoc.

I was never able to get the infrastructure mode to work. but the ad-hoc
works great the other computers pick it up and can access the Internet
from anywheres around the house inside or outside .granted there is no
security and i hate that, but at least the wife can get on aol from the
laptop and i can disable the wireless when not in use.