Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > CPU, Motherboard & WinXP compat.

CPU, Motherboard & WinXP compat.

elziko

According to Everest my CPU has 'x86-64' instruction set and supports
'64-bit x86 Extension'. My motherboard has a '64 bit bus width'.

The actual computer is 'Dell Precision WorkStation 370'.

Is this enough to be sure that I can install Win XP 64? Obviously I'll need
to find drivers for the rest of the system but I just want to know if I can
actually install XP 64 to start with.

TIA

DKI

Speak to dell. they do there own program and with it still provide support
and the drivers i think, even though it costs more, it is better to go with
dell and keep your waranty and be supported still by them. also somewhere i
read not sure if this is true check with them i read that if you go with
dells TAP program them un like microsofts if you don't like X64 you can roll
back to XP Pro (which is whyt the extra is envolved.

"elziko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to Everest my CPU has 'x86-64' instruction set and supports
> '64-bit x86 Extension'. My motherboard has a '64 bit bus width'.
>
> The actual computer is 'Dell Precision WorkStation 370'.
>
> Is this enough to be sure that I can install Win XP 64? Obviously I'll
> need to find drivers for the rest of the system but I just want to know if
> I can actually install XP 64 to start with.
>
> TIA

M. Murcek

I'm not familiar with Everest. Is it a CPU identity utility? If so, and
your machine's CPU does have the EM64T extensions, you can run x64 Edition.
As a bonus, you may even find that most of the drivers you need are already
available on the Dell website - they're doing better than most at supporting
x64 Edition on their workstation products. Good Luck!

"elziko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to Everest my CPU has 'x86-64' instruction set and supports
> '64-bit x86 Extension'. My motherboard has a '64 bit bus width'.
>
> The actual computer is 'Dell Precision WorkStation 370'.
>
> Is this enough to be sure that I can install Win XP 64? Obviously I'll
> need to find drivers for the rest of the system but I just want to know if
> I can actually install XP 64 to start with.
>
> TIA

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Use the address below for the Dell TAP, their submission form will validate
whether or not your system is eligible for the upgrade. Cost is $40.00 when
they ship you the x64 OS. Don't believe the email that says they'll confirm
your eligibility in 2 business days. Took them a week and half to get back
to me.

Personally, I would go through Dell for the upgrade as they have some
proprietary implementations in their motherboards that will be accommadated
in their version of x64. And they have already posted a number of drivers at
their site for x64.

https://64bitupgrade.productorder.co...p/default.aspx