Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win XP 64 and VS 2005 Web Apps

Win XP 64 and VS 2005 Web Apps

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

I have a dual boot machine, runs Win XP pro and Win XP Pro 64, Win XP boots
from C and Win XP 64 boot from D.

They both have VS 2005 Beta 2 installed.

I have a webapp developed in Win XP (32) which has gone well and runs fine
in XP.

I Now want to get this same app running under IIS on XP 64.

I have had some issues as it is unclear exactly how to do this, but I played
around with Publish option in VS 2005 IDE and got the app copied or whatever,
to the Default Web Site, the app is invisible in the Admin Tools.

I can open and build the project in VS 2005 in XP 64, this is OK.

But

I cannot debug it (it says debugging not enabled or something)

I cannot start it in IE, when I tried I got this

The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
access to 'D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50215\T emporary ASP.NET
Files'.

Now I dont want to go changing the access rights to this dir, this seems the
wrong way to go.

Now I may have had a bogus URL when I got the above message, I cant tell
which is actually correct because noen of my attempts work.

Also unlike in XP 32, the IIS folder has a new node (with a small yellow
gear wheel) for various "application" modules or assemblies (cant recall the
exact term).

So any guidance is much appreciatred.

If it is easier, I can redo the whole thing, the ASP web app is in a fodler
on my Drive C (the solution folder created when running Win32).

So if it ieasier to start again, then please explain the steps, do I
manually create a virtual dir? do I run the "Publish" option in the IDE or do
si do something else?

What I want is to be able to work on the project source from either the Win
32 or the Win 64 boot, with each OS having its own IIS so I can access the
site whichever OS I have booted.

Many tahnks
Hugh

Steve Thompson

Hugo wrote:
> I have a dual boot machine, runs Win XP pro and Win XP Pro 64, Win XP boots
> from C and Win XP 64 boot from D.
>
> They both have VS 2005 Beta 2 installed.
>
> I have a webapp developed in Win XP (32) which has gone well and runs fine
> in XP.
>
> I Now want to get this same app running under IIS on XP 64.
>
> I have had some issues as it is unclear exactly how to do this, but I played
> around with Publish option in VS 2005 IDE and got the app copied or whatever,
> to the Default Web Site, the app is invisible in the Admin Tools.
>
> I can open and build the project in VS 2005 in XP 64, this is OK.
>
> But
>
> I cannot debug it (it says debugging not enabled or something)
>
> I cannot start it in IE, when I tried I got this
>
> The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
> access to 'D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50215\T emporary ASP.NET
> Files'.
>
> Now I dont want to go changing the access rights to this dir, this seems the
> wrong way to go.
>
> Now I may have had a bogus URL when I got the above message, I cant tell
> which is actually correct because noen of my attempts work.
>
> Also unlike in XP 32, the IIS folder has a new node (with a small yellow
> gear wheel) for various "application" modules or assemblies (cant recall the
> exact term).
>
> So any guidance is much appreciatred.
>
> If it is easier, I can redo the whole thing, the ASP web app is in a fodler
> on my Drive C (the solution folder created when running Win32).
>
> So if it ieasier to start again, then please explain the steps, do I
> manually create a virtual dir? do I run the "Publish" option in the IDE or do
> si do something else?
>
> What I want is to be able to work on the project source from either the Win
> 32 or the Win 64 boot, with each OS having its own IIS so I can access the
> site whichever OS I have booted.
>
> Many tahnks
> Hugh

Hello Hugh,

You'll have much better luck at one of the following.

microsoft.public.vstudio.general
microsoft.public.vstudio.development

HTH,

- --
Steve Thompson
Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B

Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net/
Help get the forums going.

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

Thanks

One very frustrating thing is that I use IE to access these newsgroups.

The group names people tell me to use (eg. microsoft.public.vstudio.general)
bear no resemblance to the tree hierarchy I see in the left pane of my
browser!

I cannot find any way to locate shc groups by name.

Why did MS build this tree structure to be completely different to the
newsgroups fully qualified names???

I have no way of locating the groups that you have suggested!!!

Ths

"Steve Thompson" wrote:

> Hugo wrote:
> > I have a dual boot machine, runs Win XP pro and Win XP Pro 64, Win XP boots
> > from C and Win XP 64 boot from D.
> >
> > They both have VS 2005 Beta 2 installed.
> >
> > I have a webapp developed in Win XP (32) which has gone well and runs fine
> > in XP.
> >
> > I Now want to get this same app running under IIS on XP 64.
> >
> > I have had some issues as it is unclear exactly how to do this, but I played
> > around with Publish option in VS 2005 IDE and got the app copied or whatever,
> > to the Default Web Site, the app is invisible in the Admin Tools.
> >
> > I can open and build the project in VS 2005 in XP 64, this is OK.
> >
> > But
> >
> > I cannot debug it (it says debugging not enabled or something)
> >
> > I cannot start it in IE, when I tried I got this
> >
> > The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
> > access to 'D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50215\T emporary ASP.NET
> > Files'.
> >
> > Now I dont want to go changing the access rights to this dir, this seems the
> > wrong way to go.
> >
> > Now I may have had a bogus URL when I got the above message, I cant tell
> > which is actually correct because noen of my attempts work.
> >
> > Also unlike in XP 32, the IIS folder has a new node (with a small yellow
> > gear wheel) for various "application" modules or assemblies (cant recall the
> > exact term).
> >
> > So any guidance is much appreciatred.
> >
> > If it is easier, I can redo the whole thing, the ASP web app is in a fodler
> > on my Drive C (the solution folder created when running Win32).
> >
> > So if it ieasier to start again, then please explain the steps, do I
> > manually create a virtual dir? do I run the "Publish" option in the IDE or do
> > si do something else?
> >
> > What I want is to be able to work on the project source from either the Win
> > 32 or the Win 64 boot, with each OS having its own IIS so I can access the
> > site whichever OS I have booted.
> >
> > Many tahnks
> > Hugh
> >

> Hello Hugh,
>
> You'll have much better luck at one of the following.
>
> microsoft.public.vstudio.general
> microsoft.public.vstudio.development
>
> HTH,
>

> - --
> Steve Thompson
> Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
> CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B
>
> Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net/
> Help get the forums going.

Steve Thompson

Hugo wrote:
> [...]

>>on my Drive C (the solution folder created when running Win32).

>>So if it ieasier to start again, then please explain the steps, do I
>>manually create a virtual dir? do I run the "Publish" option in the IDE or do
>>si do something else?

>>What I want is to be able to work on the project source from either the Win
>>32 or the Win 64 boot, with each OS having its own IIS so I can access the
>>site whichever OS I have booted.

>>Many tahnks
>>Hugh

> Hello Hugh,
>
> You'll have much better luck at one of the following.
>
> microsoft.public.vstudio.general
> microsoft.public.vstudio.development
>
> HTH,
>

> --
> Steve Thompson
> Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
> CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B

Hugo,

The Microsoft Newsgroup home page can be found here
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx. This page
will allow you to select the group you want by product, technology or
audience.

(Warning!! Watch for line wrap)

microsoft.public.vstudio.general can be found here at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=us

and microsoft.public.vstudio.development can be found here at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=us

HTH,

- --
Steve Thompson
Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B

Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net/
Help get the forums going.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Actually he might want to try the microsoft.private.whidbey newsgroups since
Visual Studio 2005 is still in beta.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com