Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Firewire?

Firewire?

Tom

Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
signal seems to be detected.

Rick

Ask Andre. He seems to have the answers for any, and all, situations!

Tom wrote:
> Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
> signal seems to be detected.

Tom

Tom wrote:
> Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
> signal seems to be detected.

Ooops. Nevermind. Malfunctioning camera, not Windows.

Dennis Pack

Rick:
I haven't seen a correct resolution yet from you, SO WHY flame somebody for
making an error.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ask Andre. He seems to have the answers for any, and all, situations!
>
> Tom wrote:
>> Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
>> signal seems to be detected.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Oh, yeah!
Firewire is working allright.
I've got a BIOSTAR K8NHA Pro mobo with VIA VT620 chip on board for firewire.
WinXP x64 has its own drivers.
I plugged my JVC Video camera (digital camera, records on digital tape
cassette) and the camera was "seen" immediately.
Regards.
Carlos

"Dennis Pack" wrote:

> Rick:
> I haven't seen a correct resolution yet from you, SO WHY flame somebody for
> making an error.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ask Andre. He seems to have the answers for any, and all, situations!
> >
> > Tom wrote:
> >> Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
> >> signal seems to be detected.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Jud Hendrix had posted some information concerning Windows XP and Firewire
and suspect the sam goes for x64 edition too:
Windows XP SP1 did not support FireWire800 (1394b). Nevertheless, it
worked, although the full performance of FireWire 800 wasn't achieved
in some cases. With the release of Service Pack 2, Microsoft decided
to no longer 'ignore' FireWire 800, but to treat it correctly
according to the current OHCI specifications (Open Host Controller
Interface). For Microsoft, at this time 'correctly' means switching to
the slowest transfer mode S100, equalling 100 Mbit per second, for
reasons of safety and compatibility.

Microsoft quotes unclear OHCI specifications as the reason for this
slow down. Indeed OHCI does not clearly define 1394b. Current FireWire
800 chips send a 2-bit speed code of 0x3 (instead of 0x2 = S400) in
the Self-ID-Packet 0. But OHCI only knows this code as 'reserved'. At
a second glance, however, it becomes obvious that Microsoft have
simply not looked closely enough, because there are additional
Self-ID-Packets being sent. Self-ID-packet 8 correctly specifies the
speed with the three-bit code 0x3 = S800. Packet 8 had been already
defined in the '1394a supplement', and is therefore not an innovation
of FireWire 800.

Microsoft's proceeding is thus at least controversial. In any case,
it's a prime example of a somewhat unworldly bureaucratic-mindedness.
Since there are no devices that only support S100, the need to
throttle the bus speed does not actually exist. At least we do not
know of any such devices, and as it seems Microsoft did not make this
change because of actual complaints about incompatibilities. One is
simply left wondering...

Here is some additional information about using Firwire with Windows XP
64-Bit Edition (I suspect thats for Itanium though).
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
> signal seems to be detected.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

What would that make Charlie - x64 God?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ask Andre. He seems to have the answers for any, and all, situations!
>
> Tom wrote:
>> Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
>> signal seems to be detected.

DKI

I have a firewire camera on X64 and it works, so far not had a problem with
firewire devices.

Could it be a spefic problem with the video camera.

Is there a compatable driver for it?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
> signal seems to be detected.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I"ll know I'm that when Intel and AMD start giving me goodies. Or Acer
"loans" me a Ferrari.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.