Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Recording TV with Windows Media Player in XP64?

Recording TV with Windows Media Player in XP64?

=?Utf-8?B?Ry5CZWNr?=

Hi people! Do the guys in Microsoft know if there's going to be some kind of
software or plugin to allow TV captured with a PCTV card to be viewed or
recorded with Windows Media Player ?

cheers!

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

You would surely have to get the tv tuner card manufacturers to write
drivers and software first! It's not Microsoft's responsibility to write
drivers for other people's products.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"G.Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi people! Do the guys in Microsoft know if there's going to be some kind
> of
> software or plugin to allow TV captured with a PCTV card to be viewed or
> recorded with Windows Media Player ?
>
> cheers!

=?Utf-8?B?Ry5CZWNr?=

Cari, I know it's not Microsoft's responsibility to do that...but now that we
all know there are no drivers nor software to do that, wouldn't it be a great
extra value offer if Microsoft could say "XP64 users, we're going to help you
keep doing all what you were doing with XP32!" ?

Just an idea.

Guillermo.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You would surely have to get the tv tuner card manufacturers to write
> drivers and software first! It's not Microsoft's responsibility to write
> drivers for other people's products.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "G.Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi people! Do the guys in Microsoft know if there's going to be some kind
> > of
> > software or plugin to allow TV captured with a PCTV card to be viewed or
> > recorded with Windows Media Player ?
> >
> > cheers!

Randy

How much does MS pay each of these manufacturers and vendors to license
their drivers and release them with their OSs and as upgrades, without which
the OSs would be fairly useless?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You would surely have to get the tv tuner card manufacturers to write
> drivers and software first! It's not Microsoft's responsibility to write
> drivers for other people's products.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "G.Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi people! Do the guys in Microsoft know if there's going to be some

kind
> > of
> > software or plugin to allow TV captured with a PCTV card to be viewed or
> > recorded with Windows Media Player ?
> >
> > cheers!

Thomas Steffen

Randy wrote:
> How much does MS pay each of these manufacturers and vendors to license
> their drivers and release them with their OSs and as upgrades, without which
> the OSs would be fairly useless?

Nothing I guess. At best, the manufacturers get free testing and support
by Microsoft (but even that is not exactly free, because the have to pay
for MSDN).

I think XP x64 is bound to fail in the market. If you think about the
32bit transition (Windows 95): that was rather painfull, but eventually
everybody had Windows 95 and due to popular demand, most drivers where
ported.

However, Windows 95 offered significant advantages over Win 3.11 (hurts
to think back, actually). The same applies for Windows XP over ME
(again...). Windows XP x64 does not offer any advantages over XP for the
average user, but every possible portunity to shoot yourself in the foot.

So XP x64 may be an attempt to prepare the manufacturers for 64bit OSes.
But 64bit will not really take off before an OS is shipped only or
predominantly as 64bit. Maybe Longhorn will be that OS.

thomas

Keith

I agree with some of your opinions. Yes, 4 bit is good for business usage
where true crunching comes into play...but for the average home user that
cannot get drivers for such mundane everyday things as a TV tuner card...it
blows. Sad to see the manufacturer of such products either outright lie
about when the drivers will be out, miss the date by 7 months (Leadtek), or
flat out say "xp64 is not mainstream enough to write a driver for it"
Bummer. I LOVE X64 but I'll be damned, I can't use my tv tuner/capture card
under it....since this computer doubles as my bedroom tv/entertainment
center, I need it....

-Keith Schaefer

"Thomas Steffen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Randy wrote:
> > How much does MS pay each of these manufacturers and vendors to license
> > their drivers and release them with their OSs and as upgrades, without

which
> > the OSs would be fairly useless?

> Nothing I guess. At best, the manufacturers get free testing and support
> by Microsoft (but even that is not exactly free, because the have to pay
> for MSDN).
>
> I think XP x64 is bound to fail in the market. If you think about the
> 32bit transition (Windows 95): that was rather painfull, but eventually
> everybody had Windows 95 and due to popular demand, most drivers where
> ported.
>
> However, Windows 95 offered significant advantages over Win 3.11 (hurts
> to think back, actually). The same applies for Windows XP over ME
> (again...). Windows XP x64 does not offer any advantages over XP for the
> average user, but every possible portunity to shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> So XP x64 may be an attempt to prepare the manufacturers for 64bit OSes.
> But 64bit will not really take off before an OS is shipped only or
> predominantly as 64bit. Maybe Longhorn will be that OS.
>
> thomas

Colin Barnhorst

OK, now that you vented, what's your plan?

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I agree with some of your opinions. Yes, 4 bit is good for business usage
> where true crunching comes into play...but for the average home user that
> cannot get drivers for such mundane everyday things as a TV tuner
> card...it
> blows. Sad to see the manufacturer of such products either outright lie
> about when the drivers will be out, miss the date by 7 months (Leadtek),
> or
> flat out say "xp64 is not mainstream enough to write a driver for it"
> Bummer. I LOVE X64 but I'll be damned, I can't use my tv tuner/capture
> card
> under it....since this computer doubles as my bedroom tv/entertainment
> center, I need it....
>
> -Keith Schaefer
>

> "Thomas Steffen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Randy wrote:
>> > How much does MS pay each of these manufacturers and vendors to license
>> > their drivers and release them with their OSs and as upgrades, without

> which
>> > the OSs would be fairly useless?

>> Nothing I guess. At best, the manufacturers get free testing and support
>> by Microsoft (but even that is not exactly free, because the have to pay
>> for MSDN).
>>
>> I think XP x64 is bound to fail in the market. If you think about the
>> 32bit transition (Windows 95): that was rather painfull, but eventually
>> everybody had Windows 95 and due to popular demand, most drivers where
>> ported.
>>
>> However, Windows 95 offered significant advantages over Win 3.11 (hurts
>> to think back, actually). The same applies for Windows XP over ME
>> (again...). Windows XP x64 does not offer any advantages over XP for the
>> average user, but every possible portunity to shoot yourself in the foot.
>>
>> So XP x64 may be an attempt to prepare the manufacturers for 64bit OSes.
>> But 64bit will not really take off before an OS is shipped only or
>> predominantly as 64bit. Maybe Longhorn will be that OS.
>>
>> thomas

=?Utf-8?B?Ry5CZWNr?=

Keith, you can use you TV tuner card, but only to watch TV. There still isn't
any software ported to 64 bits to record it.

I just don't understand how/why Microsoft won't go and fill this whole in
the market: drivers for PCTV cards. It's a big opportunity that could make
all of us, who have at least once said something against MS, say "thanks Bill
Gates!"...wouldn't you agree?