Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > WTF MS: FIX OE SPELLCHECK - email spellcheck error Outlook 2000 & Outlook Express only in XP64

WTF MS: FIX OE SPELLCHECK - email spellcheck error Outlook 2000 & Outlook Express only in XP64

Goody2shoe

I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking for a
solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express.
Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.

There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most widely
used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can you RTM
without email spellcheck?!!!

I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this essential
business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually am. You can't
give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh we couldn't get
it to work so we're dropping that feature."
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...it/cifx64.mspx
Spell Checking - Detailed description
Spell checking is not supported in the 64-bit version of Outlook Express.
What works differently?
Because spell checking is not supported, you will see an error if you try to
check spelling within a new message in Outlook Express by clicking Spelling
on the Tools menu, or by pressing F7.

David R. Norton MVP

"Goody2shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking for a
> solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express.
> Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
> about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.
>
> There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most
> widely used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can
> you RTM without email spellcheck?!!!

Windows has never spell checked. Outlook Express has always depended on a
spell checker being installed in addition to Windows, that's still true.

OE will spell check just fine when a 64 bit version of Office is released
and you install it. Until then, there are other alternatives, read
earlier posts in this group to find them or just Google for OE spell
checkers or something similar.

> I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this
> essential business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually
> am.

I used to be over 50, wish I still was! I can't spell either and rely
heavily on spell checkers but since I don't use OE or Outlook, my solutions
are necessarily different.

> You can't give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh
> we couldn't get it to work so we're dropping that feature."

They're not dropping the feature, it never existed unless Microsoft Office
was installed. As soon as you install the 64 bit version of Office spell
checking will work again. I really wouldn't wait, I'd go find another
application that will spell check for you.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You can work around this if you have access to XP Pro 32 bit. Just copy the
files from Outlook Express into a directory you create on your XP Pro x64
drive. NOTE: You cannot use \Program Files\Outlook Express or \Program Files
(x86)\Outlook Express. And for correctness, I would recommend \Program Files
(x86)\32 Bit Outlook Express Then create a shortcut to the file
msimn.exe on your desktop. Spell check works again.
Also, I should warn you that this is NOT supported, and some have reported
problems doing this. I on the other hand, have had no problems using the
setup I described above. Also, you must have at least one major component of
Office 2002 or Office 2003 installed, such as Word, Access, Excel, etc...
for spellcheck to function in OE.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Goody2shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:up4s7%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking for a
> solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express.
> Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
> about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.
>
> There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most widely
> used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can you RTM
> without email spellcheck?!!!
>
> I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this essential
> business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually am. You can't
> give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh we couldn't
> get
> it to work so we're dropping that feature."
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...it/cifx64.mspx
> Spell Checking - Detailed description
> Spell checking is not supported in the 64-bit version of Outlook Express.
> What works differently?
> Because spell checking is not supported, you will see an error if you try
> check spelling within a new message in Outlook Express by clicking
> Spelling
> on the Tools menu, or by pressing F7.

mikey

use the 32 bit version of OE instead of the default 64 bit version, the spell check will work then.,
once you install a 64 bit Office type product the spell chec with the 64 bit OE will work.

[...]

Mike

If you need to have a componet of Office 2002 or 2003 why not just use
Outlook as an email client. The spellchecker in Outlook 2003 works just
fine. I don't know about Outlook 2002

Mike

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can work around this if you have access to XP Pro 32 bit. Just copy
> the files from Outlook Express into a directory you create on your XP Pro
> x64 drive. NOTE: You cannot use \Program Files\Outlook Express or \Program
> Files (x86)\Outlook Express. And for correctness, I would recommend
> \Program Files (x86)\32 Bit Outlook Express Then create a shortcut
> to the file msimn.exe on your desktop. Spell check works again.
> Also, I should warn you that this is NOT supported, and some have reported
> problems doing this. I on the other hand, have had no problems using the
> setup I described above. Also, you must have at least one major component
> of Office 2002 or Office 2003 installed, such as Word, Access, Excel,
> etc... for spellcheck to function in OE.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>

> "Goody2shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:up4s7%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking for a
>> solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express.
>> Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
>> about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.
>>
>> There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most
>> widely
>> used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can you RTM
>> without email spellcheck?!!!
>>
>> I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this
>> essential
>> business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually am. You
>> can't
>> give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh we couldn't
>> get
>> it to work so we're dropping that feature."
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...it/cifx64.mspx
>> Spell Checking - Detailed description
>> Spell checking is not supported in the 64-bit version of Outlook Express.
>> What works differently?
>> Because spell checking is not supported, you will see an error if you try
>> check spelling within a new message in Outlook Express by clicking
>> Spelling
>> on the Tools menu, or by pressing F7.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

The grammar and spell checker has not improved that much since the last few
releases of Office.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you need to have a componet of Office 2002 or 2003 why not just use
> Outlook as an email client. The spellchecker in Outlook 2003 works just
> fine. I don't know about Outlook 2002
>
> Mike

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You can work around this if you have access to XP Pro 32 bit. Just copy
>> the files from Outlook Express into a directory you create on your XP Pro
>> x64 drive. NOTE: You cannot use \Program Files\Outlook Express or
>> \Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express. And for correctness, I would
>> recommend \Program Files (x86)\32 Bit Outlook Express Then create a
>> shortcut to the file msimn.exe on your desktop. Spell check works again.
>> Also, I should warn you that this is NOT supported, and some have
>> reported problems doing this. I on the other hand, have had no problems
>> using the setup I described above. Also, you must have at least one major
>> component of Office 2002 or Office 2003 installed, such as Word, Access,
>> Excel, etc... for spellcheck to function in OE.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>

>> "Goody2shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:up4s7%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking for a
>>> solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express.
>>> Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
>>> about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.
>>>
>>> There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most
>>> widely
>>> used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can you RTM
>>> without email spellcheck?!!!
>>>
>>> I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this
>>> essential
>>> business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually am. You
>>> can't
>>> give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh we couldn't
>>> get
>>> it to work so we're dropping that feature."
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...it/cifx64.mspx
>>> Spell Checking - Detailed description
>>> Spell checking is not supported in the 64-bit version of Outlook
>>> Express.
>>> What works differently?
>>> Because spell checking is not supported, you will see an error if you
>>> try to
>>> check spelling within a new message in Outlook Express by clicking
>>> Spelling
>>> on the Tools menu, or by pressing F7.

Colin Barnhorst

If you're not still over 50 tell us your secret!

"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Goody2shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>
>> I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking for a
>> solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express.
>> Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
>> about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.
>>
>> There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most
>> widely used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can
>> you RTM without email spellcheck?!!!

> Windows has never spell checked. Outlook Express has always depended on a
> spell checker being installed in addition to Windows, that's still true.
>
> OE will spell check just fine when a 64 bit version of Office is released
> and you install it. Until then, there are other alternatives, read
> earlier posts in this group to find them or just Google for OE spell
> checkers or something similar.
>
>> I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this
>> essential business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually
>> am.

> I used to be over 50, wish I still was! I can't spell either and rely
> heavily on spell checkers but since I don't use OE or Outlook, my
> solutions
> are necessarily different.
>
>> You can't give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh
>> we couldn't get it to work so we're dropping that feature."

> They're not dropping the feature, it never existed unless Microsoft Office
> was installed. As soon as you install the 64 bit version of Office spell
> checking will work again. I really wouldn't wait, I'd go find another
> application that will spell check for you.
>
> --
> David R. Norton MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)>

David R. Norton MVP

"Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> If you're not still over 50 tell us your secret!

I went back to 35 and started up again. I just had my second 35th birthday.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

Charlie Russel - MVP

there is no 32-bit version of OE in x64 Edition. Yes, we all know there are
what appear to be 32-bit files on there, but they are, in fact, 64-bit. The
32-bit version acts only as a loader for the 64-bit.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

mikey wrote:
> use the 32 bit version of OE instead of the default 64 bit version,
> the spell check will work then.,
> once you install a 64 bit Office type product the spell chec with the
> 64 bit OE will work.
>

> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "Goody2shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:up4s7%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking
> for a
> solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook
> Express.
> Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
> about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.
>
> There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most
> widely
> used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can
> you RTM
> without email spellcheck?!!!
>
> I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this
> essential
> business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually am.
> You can't
> give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh we
> couldn't get
> it to work so we're dropping that feature."
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...it/cifx64.mspx
> Spell Checking - Detailed description
> Spell checking is not supported in the 64-bit version of Outlook
> Express.
> What works differently?
> Because spell checking is not supported, you will see an error if
> you try to
> check spelling within a new message in Outlook Express by clicking
> Spelling
> on the Tools menu, or by pressing F7.

mikey

guess you have not bothered to look.
the link is not provided automatically.
under Program Files (x86) and in the OutlookExpress folder. right click and select send shortcut to desktop.

(E-Mail Removed)