Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OE

Colin Barnhorst

I see OE folders under both the x86 and (x64) Program Files folders and it
appears there is a 64-bit version installed. However the info under
Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express lists 32-bit dll's, so I am not using
the 64-bit version. What is the status of OE64?

Bear with me if this has been discussed here before, I just tuned in a week
ago. What gives with the dual setup? Is the x64 version just to accomodate
the 64-bit version of IE6?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I am confused about it too, but there is a native 64-bit Outlook Express,
thats why the spell checker does not work I think.
There is a post made by Dave P titled "Outlook Express crashes" that thread
has some good info about Outlook Express 32 bit and 64 bit. 5/29/2005
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I see OE folders under both the x86 and (x64) Program Files folders and it
>appears there is a 64-bit version installed. However the info under
>Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express lists 32-bit dll's, so I am not using
>the 64-bit version. What is the status of OE64?
>
> Bear with me if this has been discussed here before, I just tuned in a
> week ago. What gives with the dual setup? Is the x64 version just to
> accomodate the 64-bit version of IE6?

Colin Barnhorst

What confuses me is that there are two IE6 icons but only one OE. Is that
what got you too?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am confused about it too, but there is a native 64-bit Outlook Express,
>thats why the spell checker does not work I think.
> There is a post made by Dave P titled "Outlook Express crashes" that
> thread has some good info about Outlook Express 32 bit and 64 bit.
> 5/29/2005
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I see OE folders under both the x86 and (x64) Program Files folders and it
>>appears there is a 64-bit version installed. However the info under
>>Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express lists 32-bit dll's, so I am not using
>>the 64-bit version. What is the status of OE64?
>>
>> Bear with me if this has been discussed here before, I just tuned in a
>> week ago. What gives with the dual setup? Is the x64 version just to
>> accomodate the 64-bit version of IE6?

Colin Barnhorst

I don't think the info in that thread jibes with what I see because when I
check About Ms OE I see the list of files in use and they are 32-bit dll's
(or I am reading them wrong). Hmmm.....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am confused about it too, but there is a native 64-bit Outlook Express,
>thats why the spell checker does not work I think.
> There is a post made by Dave P titled "Outlook Express crashes" that
> thread has some good info about Outlook Express 32 bit and 64 bit.
> 5/29/2005
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I see OE folders under both the x86 and (x64) Program Files folders and it
>>appears there is a 64-bit version installed. However the info under
>>Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express lists 32-bit dll's, so I am not using
>>the 64-bit version. What is the status of OE64?
>>
>> Bear with me if this has been discussed here before, I just tuned in a
>> week ago. What gives with the dual setup? Is the x64 version just to
>> accomodate the 64-bit version of IE6?

James Park

x64 only has 64-bit OE. If you try to open the one in the 32-bit Program
Files directory, it simply opens the 64-bit OE. Dlls in the windows\system32
directory are 64-bit; the ones in windows\syswow64 are 32-bit.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't think the info in that thread jibes with what I see because when I
>check About Ms OE I see the list of files in use and they are 32-bit dll's
>(or I am reading them wrong). Hmmm.....

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am confused about it too, but there is a native 64-bit Outlook Express,
>>thats why the spell checker does not work I think.
>> There is a post made by Dave P titled "Outlook Express crashes" that
>> thread has some good info about Outlook Express 32 bit and 64 bit.
>> 5/29/2005
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I see OE folders under both the x86 and (x64) Program Files folders and
>>>it appears there is a 64-bit version installed. However the info under
>>>Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express lists 32-bit dll's, so I am not
>>>using the 64-bit version. What is the status of OE64?
>>>
>>> Bear with me if this has been discussed here before, I just tuned in a
>>> week ago. What gives with the dual setup? Is the x64 version just to
>>> accomodate the 64-bit version of IE6?

Charlie Russel - MVP

There is only a 64-bit OE. The 32-bit one just acts as a loader for the
64-bit one. And yes, it's been discussed, mostly because this all means that
the spell checker doesn't work with it, since the spell checker is 32-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> I see OE folders under both the x86 and (x64) Program Files folders
> and it appears there is a 64-bit version installed. However the info
> under Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express lists 32-bit dll's, so I
> am not using the 64-bit version. What is the status of OE64?
>
> Bear with me if this has been discussed here before, I just tuned in
> a week ago. What gives with the dual setup? Is the x64 version just
> to accomodate the 64-bit version of IE6?

Colin Barnhorst

Thanks. The naming scheme will sink in some day.

"James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> x64 only has 64-bit OE. If you try to open the one in the 32-bit Program
> Files directory, it simply opens the 64-bit OE. Dlls in the
> windows\system32 directory are 64-bit; the ones in windows\syswow64 are
> 32-bit.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I don't think the info in that thread jibes with what I see because when I
>>check About Ms OE I see the list of files in use and they are 32-bit dll's
>>(or I am reading them wrong). Hmmm.....

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am confused about it too, but there is a native 64-bit Outlook Express,
>>>thats why the spell checker does not work I think.
>>> There is a post made by Dave P titled "Outlook Express crashes" that
>>> thread has some good info about Outlook Express 32 bit and 64 bit.
>>> 5/29/2005
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Thanks, Charlie.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is only a 64-bit OE. The 32-bit one just acts as a loader for the
> 64-bit one. And yes, it's been discussed, mostly because this all means
> that the spell checker doesn't work with it, since the spell checker is
> 32-bit.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> I see OE folders under both the x86 and (x64) Program Files folders
>> and it appears there is a 64-bit version installed. However the info
>> under Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express lists 32-bit dll's, so I
>> am not using the 64-bit version. What is the status of OE64?
>>
>> Bear with me if this has been discussed here before, I just tuned in
>> a week ago. What gives with the dual setup? Is the x64 version just
>> to accomodate the 64-bit version of IE6?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, somewhat counter intuitive. I'm sure there were good reasons. I'm just
not sure I'll ever understand them.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Thanks. The naming scheme will sink in some day.
>
> "James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> x64 only has 64-bit OE. If you try to open the one in the 32-bit
>> Program Files directory, it simply opens the 64-bit OE. Dlls in the
>> windows\system32 directory are 64-bit; the ones in windows\syswow64
>> are 32-bit.
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I don't think the info in that thread jibes with what I see because
>>> when I check About Ms OE I see the list of files in use and they
>>> are 32-bit dll's (or I am reading them wrong). Hmmm.....
>>>
>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Colin,
Virutally all entry points for Outlook Express should be pointing to 64-bit
Outlook Express. This was a late change and it could be possible that
there would be some dependancy issue with applicaitions on the 32-bit files
being present. Removing all the 32-bit files could cause some 32-bit
applications to have failures when trying to call Outlook Express. 32-bit
Applications cannot call 64-bit dlls directly.
Msimn.exe under the program files (x86)\Outllok Express folder is a 32-bit
program, but all it does is call the 64-bit version of Msimn.exe, then
shutdown.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: OE
<Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:25:43 -0600
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Thanks. The naming scheme will sink in some day.
<
<"James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<> x64 only has 64-bit OE. If you try to open the one in the 32-bit Program
<> Files directory, it simply opens the 64-bit OE. Dlls in the
<> windows\system32 directory are 64-bit; the ones in windows\syswow64 are
<> 32-bit.
<>
<> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
<>>I don't think the info in that thread jibes with what I see because when
<>>check About Ms OE I see the list of files in use and they are 32-bit
dll's
<>>(or I am reading them wrong). Hmmm.....
<>>
<>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<>>>I am confused about it too, but there is a native 64-bit Outlook
Express,
<>>>thats why the spell checker does not work I think.
<>>> There is a post made by Dave P titled "Outlook Express crashes" that
<>>> thread has some good info about Outlook Express 32 bit and 64 bit.
<>>> 5/29/2005
<>>> --
<>>> Andre
<>>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
<>>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
<>>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
<>>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
<>>>
<>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<>>>>I see OE folders under both the x86 and (x64) Program Files folders
and
<>>>>it appears there is a 64-bit version installed. However the info
under
<>>>>Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express lists 32-bit dll's, so I am not
<>>>>using the 64-bit version. What is the status of OE64?
<>>>>