Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > If GUI for 64 bit Different

Reply
Thread Tools

If GUI for 64 bit Different

 
 
Papa Oomawmaw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition different than
the 32 bit version? Thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Brannigan [MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
"Papa Oomawmaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition different
> than the 32 bit version? Thanks.


There is no x64 version of Home Edition, only Professional
And no the GUI is the same on all x64 products as the comparable 32-bit one.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
newsgroups

"Papa Oomawmaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition different
> than the 32 bit version? Thanks.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
The only GUI difference you might notice is that you don't have the ability
to display a web page as your desktop. Otherwise, it is the same interface to
all intents and purposes. OTOH, it is NOT Home Edition -- it is only
available in Professional.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/


Papa Oomawmaw wrote:
> Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition
> different than the 32 bit version? Thanks.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
And that Explorer extensions too.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only GUI difference you might notice is that you don't have the
> ability to display a web page as your desktop. Otherwise, it is the same
> interface to all intents and purposes. OTOH, it is NOT Home Edition -- it
> is only available in Professional.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>
>
> Papa Oomawmaw wrote:
>> Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition
>> different than the 32 bit version? Thanks.

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
That's not really different -- when someone writes an explorer extension that
is 64 bit, it will work just fine. The problem is that the existing ones are
pretty much all 32-bit, so they don't work. That's not really the actual
Windows GUI.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/


Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> And that Explorer extensions too.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The only GUI difference you might notice is that you don't have the
>> ability to display a web page as your desktop. Otherwise, it is the
>> same interface to all intents and purposes. OTOH, it is NOT Home
>> Edition -- it is only available in Professional.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>
>>
>> Papa Oomawmaw wrote:
>>> Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition
>>> different than the 32 bit version? Thanks.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
Thanks for the clarification.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's not really different -- when someone writes an explorer extension
> that is 64 bit, it will work just fine. The problem is that the existing
> ones are pretty much all 32-bit, so they don't work. That's not really the
> actual Windows GUI.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> And that Explorer extensions too.
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The only GUI difference you might notice is that you don't have the
>>> ability to display a web page as your desktop. Otherwise, it is the
>>> same interface to all intents and purposes. OTOH, it is NOT Home
>>> Edition -- it is only available in Professional.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>>
>>>
>>> Papa Oomawmaw wrote:
>>>> Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition
>>>> different than the 32 bit version? Thanks.

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Papa Oomawmaw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
Thanks to all for replying. I live in the Dallas area. Fry's had an HP AMD
3500+ on sale for $699 with a $50 rebate. In the paper it said XP Home
Edition included. I thought it sounded like a good deal. I never dreamed
that the OS would be 32 bit. It was explained to me that Fry's was not
including 64 bit OS' on their 64 bit computers at this time. I didn't buy
it. I assumed that since I was buying a 64 bit computer it would have a 64
bit OS. To me, that is stupid to have a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine. Jeez.
It would have been $159 for the 64 bit OS. To me the good deal went out the
window when I learned the 64 bit OS was not included.

I will wait on Longhorn and buy 64 bit, machine and OS, then. Thanks again.

"Papa Oomawmaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition different
> than the 32 bit version? Thanks.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
David R. Norton MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
"Papa Oomawmaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> Thanks to all for replying. I live in the Dallas area. Fry's had an HP
> AMD 3500+ on sale for $699 with a $50 rebate. In the paper it said XP
> Home Edition included. I thought it sounded like a good deal. I never
> dreamed that the OS would be 32 bit. It was explained to me that Fry's
> was not including 64 bit OS' on their 64 bit computers at this time. I
> didn't buy it. I assumed that since I was buying a 64 bit computer it
> would have a 64 bit OS. To me, that is stupid to have a 32 bit OS on a
> 64 bit machine. Jeez. It would have been $159 for the 64 bit OS. To me
> the good deal went out the window when I learned the 64 bit OS was not
> included.
>
> I will wait on Longhorn and buy 64 bit, machine and OS, then. Thanks
> again.


When Longhorn comes out (if any of us live that long!) it *still* won't work
unless the manufacturers get off their butts and start creating drivers and
software. There's a VERY good chance you'll be installing Longhorn 32 bit if
you have some periphreals more than a couple of years old. Start saving up
now to replace your printer, scanner, etc. with newer ones that have 64 bit
drivers.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Fry's, HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. will be
selling their 64 bit computers with 32 bit Longhorn or 32 bit XP installed
rather than listen to thousands of complaints that their
mouse/printer/scanner/whatever won't work and their DOS games won't run!

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen Sprunk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns968F976C65FDBdrnortonyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
> When Longhorn comes out (if any of us live that long!) it *still* won't
> work unless the manufacturers get off their butts and start creating
> drivers and software. There's a VERY good chance you'll be installing
> Longhorn 32 bit if you have some periphreals more than a couple of
> years old. Start saving up now to replace your printer, scanner, etc.
> with newer ones that have 64 bit drivers.
>
> You can bet your bottom dollar that Fry's, HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.
> will be selling their 64 bit computers with 32 bit Longhorn or 32 bit
> XP installed rather than listen to thousands of complaints that their
> mouse/printer/scanner/whatever won't work and their DOS games
> won't run!


I've been wondering if releasing XP64 now to "early adopters" is a tactic to
bring pressure against IHVs (from a vocal but small user group) to produce
64-bit drivers so that this problem won't exist when Longhorn is finally
available.

S


 
Reply With Quote
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
Well, I read that all Longhorn SKU's except for Starter Edition will be 64
bit enabled, although users will have the option at install to choose 32 bit
or 64 bit. Lets hope everyone who has a 64 bit chooses 64 bit Longhorn.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns968F976C65FDBdrnortonyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
> "Papa Oomawmaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>
>> Thanks to all for replying. I live in the Dallas area. Fry's had an HP
>> AMD 3500+ on sale for $699 with a $50 rebate. In the paper it said XP
>> Home Edition included. I thought it sounded like a good deal. I never
>> dreamed that the OS would be 32 bit. It was explained to me that Fry's
>> was not including 64 bit OS' on their 64 bit computers at this time. I
>> didn't buy it. I assumed that since I was buying a 64 bit computer it
>> would have a 64 bit OS. To me, that is stupid to have a 32 bit OS on a
>> 64 bit machine. Jeez. It would have been $159 for the 64 bit OS. To me
>> the good deal went out the window when I learned the 64 bit OS was not
>> included.
>>
>> I will wait on Longhorn and buy 64 bit, machine and OS, then. Thanks
>> again.

>
> When Longhorn comes out (if any of us live that long!) it *still* won't
> work
> unless the manufacturers get off their butts and start creating drivers
> and
> software. There's a VERY good chance you'll be installing Longhorn 32 bit
> if
> you have some periphreals more than a couple of years old. Start saving
> up
> now to replace your printer, scanner, etc. with newer ones that have 64
> bit
> drivers.
>
> You can bet your bottom dollar that Fry's, HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. will be
> selling their 64 bit computers with 32 bit Longhorn or 32 bit XP installed
> rather than listen to thousands of complaints that their
> mouse/printer/scanner/whatever won't work and their DOS games won't run!
>
> --
> David R. Norton MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the point of having 16 bit colour if a computer monitor can only display 8 bit colour? How do you edit 16 bit colour when you can only see 8 bit? Scotius Digital Photography 6 07-13-2010 03:33 AM
Reversing Bit Order.. i.e. MSB becomes bit 0, LSB becomes bit 15 benn686@hotmail.com C++ 9 08-22-2007 12:13 AM
"LoadLibrary" of a 32 bit so with 64 bit java on a 64 bit machine markryde@gmail.com Java 3 01-19-2007 10:30 PM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new ! vvcd Computer Support 0 09-17-2004 08:15 PM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit,Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new! Ionizer Computer Support 1 01-01-2004 07:27 PM



Advertisments