Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > suggestion reqd for buying AMD64

suggestion reqd for buying AMD64

Vikas Panchal

Hi Folks,

I am planning to buy a new machine in a couple of days. Before shifting to
AMD Athlon 64, I had few doubts in mind. Your suggestion/advice highly
appreciable...

Is there any hardware or software compatibility issue with AMD Athlon 64bit?
Are there any problems of compatibility with existing hardware? I had
PixelView PlayTV Pro TV tuner card, it has 32-bit drivers. Would it work
fine? Can I install WinXP 32-bit and WinXP 64-bit both simultaneously. I
hope with WinXP 32-bit everything should be fine, no issues. But, how much
will be the performance gain in case of WinXP 32-bit on 64bit hardware?

What things to look for while buying an AMD64 from a local
assembler/reseller? How much memory should I go for, 2 GB? Is that fine or
an overkill?

-Regards

Vikas P

Charlie Russel - MVP

With regular, 32-bit, Windows XP Professional, you will simply have a good
processor -- it won't utilize anything 64-bit at all. No driver differences
from the XP that you're used to, since it is the same. OTOH, if you were to
install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, you very well might have
problems with drivers. Please, do your research BEFORE you do the
installation and make an informed decision.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Vikas Panchal wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

> I am planning to buy a new machine in a couple of days. Before
> shifting to AMD Athlon 64, I had few doubts in mind. Your
> suggestion/advice highly appreciable...
>

> Is there any hardware or software compatibility issue with AMD Athlon
> 64bit? Are there any problems of compatibility with existing
> hardware? I had PixelView PlayTV Pro TV tuner card, it has 32-bit
> drivers. Would it work fine? Can I install WinXP 32-bit and WinXP
> 64-bit both simultaneously. I hope with WinXP 32-bit everything
> should be fine, no issues. But, how much will be the performance gain
> in case of WinXP 32-bit on 64bit hardware?
>

> What things to look for while buying an AMD64 from a local
> assembler/reseller? How much memory should I go for, 2 GB? Is that
> fine or an overkill?
>

> -Regards
>
> Vikas P

Peter Lawton

You'd certainly have no problems buying an Athlon64 machine now and running
32bit XP on it, if you decide run 64bit XP then check you can get drivers
for all your hardware.

32bit XP runs very fast on an Athlon 64, running 32bit apps it's possibly
slightly faster than 64bit XP. 1Gb RAM is enough for most people, but if you
play a lot of games or run image editing software then 2Gb is probably
better.

It's best to go for a socket 939 board as this will allow you to get a dual
core processor, or upgrade to one later.

You could dual boot 32bit and 64bit XP for a while, using the MS trial copy
of x64 XP, otherwise you'd have to license both (even though you can only
run one at a time)

I'm running 64bit XP here and very happy with it, the only hardware I can't
get drivers for yet is a multi-function Epson printer, an old Creative Web
Cam and my Microsoft intellimouse (the extra buttons don't work). The SATA
RAID, networking and audio are all built on my MoBo and have 64bit drivers.

You'd have to search round for 64bit AV software, but it is available, Avast
and CA at least do one for home users, Symantec and McAfee only do corporate
versions so far that I know of .

Peter Lawton

"Vikas Panchal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>

> I am planning to buy a new machine in a couple of days. Before shifting to
> AMD Athlon 64, I had few doubts in mind. Your suggestion/advice highly
> appreciable...
>

> Is there any hardware or software compatibility issue with AMD Athlon
> 64bit? Are there any problems of compatibility with existing hardware? I
> had PixelView PlayTV Pro TV tuner card, it has 32-bit drivers. Would it
> work fine? Can I install WinXP 32-bit and WinXP 64-bit both
> simultaneously. I hope with WinXP 32-bit everything should be fine, no
> issues. But, how much will be the performance gain in case of WinXP 32-bit
> on 64bit hardware?
>

> What things to look for while buying an AMD64 from a local
> assembler/reseller? How much memory should I go for, 2 GB? Is that fine or
> an overkill?
>

> -Regards
>
> Vikas P

John Barnes

As suggested do your homework. Dual boot with the trial version is the best
way to do that. In addition to the driver problems, I have numerous
software problems, won't install, install and partially work or don't work.

"Vikas Panchal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>

> I am planning to buy a new machine in a couple of days. Before shifting to
> AMD Athlon 64, I had few doubts in mind. Your suggestion/advice highly
> appreciable...
>

> Is there any hardware or software compatibility issue with AMD Athlon
> 64bit? Are there any problems of compatibility with existing hardware? I
> had PixelView PlayTV Pro TV tuner card, it has 32-bit drivers. Would it
> work fine? Can I install WinXP 32-bit and WinXP 64-bit both
> simultaneously. I hope with WinXP 32-bit everything should be fine, no
> issues. But, how much will be the performance gain in case of WinXP 32-bit
> on 64bit hardware?
>

> What things to look for while buying an AMD64 from a local
> assembler/reseller? How much memory should I go for, 2 GB? Is that fine or
> an overkill?
>

> -Regards
>
> Vikas P

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Here is a link to the trial, free download:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Vikas Panchal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>

> I am planning to buy a new machine in a couple of days. Before shifting to
> AMD Athlon 64, I had few doubts in mind. Your suggestion/advice highly
> appreciable...
>

> Is there any hardware or software compatibility issue with AMD Athlon
> 64bit? Are there any problems of compatibility with existing hardware? I
> had PixelView PlayTV Pro TV tuner card, it has 32-bit drivers. Would it
> work fine? Can I install WinXP 32-bit and WinXP 64-bit both
> simultaneously. I hope with WinXP 32-bit everything should be fine, no
> issues. But, how much will be the performance gain in case of WinXP 32-bit
> on 64bit hardware?
>

> What things to look for while buying an AMD64 from a local
> assembler/reseller? How much memory should I go for, 2 GB? Is that fine or
> an overkill?
>

> -Regards
>
> Vikas P

Colin Barnhorst

I opted for a side-by-side setup with my old P4 machine rather than dual
booting, so I bought into dual core and 64-bits from the start. So far I am
pleased. It depends on your options for setting up a new system, but if you
are keeping the old one around anyway, your options are wide open. I plan
on taking the next six months to expand the software installation base as
native 64-bit options appear. I have had no problems running my
productivity software. Just lucky I guess. One area that almost requires
32-bit Windows is scanning and content creation.

"Vikas Panchal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>

> I am planning to buy a new machine in a couple of days. Before shifting to
> AMD Athlon 64, I had few doubts in mind. Your suggestion/advice highly
> appreciable...
>

> Is there any hardware or software compatibility issue with AMD Athlon
> 64bit? Are there any problems of compatibility with existing hardware? I
> had PixelView PlayTV Pro TV tuner card, it has 32-bit drivers. Would it
> work fine? Can I install WinXP 32-bit and WinXP 64-bit both
> simultaneously. I hope with WinXP 32-bit everything should be fine, no
> issues. But, how much will be the performance gain in case of WinXP 32-bit
> on 64bit hardware?
>

> What things to look for while buying an AMD64 from a local
> assembler/reseller? How much memory should I go for, 2 GB? Is that fine or
> an overkill?
>

> -Regards
>
> Vikas P

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yes, the transition from 32bit to 64bit right now will be slow because a lot
of applications are there yet in terms of 100% compatibility. But as time
goes by both applications and hardware will be more natively supported out
of box, I suspect it will begin around fall to late 2005 and take off in
2006.

Right now though, its good to know that the basics are already in place such
as productivity software which most businesses are using a majority of the
time. Games seem to be accepting of x64 and will get better. x64 definitely
has bright future and I almost forgot, a lot of users will make major
transitions when apps like Virtual PC are ready.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I opted for a side-by-side setup with my old P4 machine rather than dual
>booting, so I bought into dual core and 64-bits from the start. So far I
>am pleased. It depends on your options for setting up a new system, but if
>you are keeping the old one around anyway, your options are wide open. I
>plan on taking the next six months to expand the software installation base
>as native 64-bit options appear. I have had no problems running my
>productivity software. Just lucky I guess. One area that almost requires
>32-bit Windows is scanning and content creation.
>
> "Vikas Panchal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Folks,
>>

>> I am planning to buy a new machine in a couple of days. Before shifting
>> to AMD Athlon 64, I had few doubts in mind. Your suggestion/advice highly
>> appreciable...
>>

>> Is there any hardware or software compatibility issue with AMD Athlon
>> 64bit? Are there any problems of compatibility with existing hardware? I
>> had PixelView PlayTV Pro TV tuner card, it has 32-bit drivers. Would it
>> work fine? Can I install WinXP 32-bit and WinXP 64-bit both
>> simultaneously. I hope with WinXP 32-bit everything should be fine, no
>> issues. But, how much will be the performance gain in case of WinXP
>> 32-bit on 64bit hardware?
>>

>> What things to look for while buying an AMD64 from a local
>> assembler/reseller? How much memory should I go for, 2 GB? Is that fine
>> or an overkill?
>>

>> -Regards
>>
>> Vikas P

Colin Barnhorst

Virtual Server SP1 will make it later this year, but MS is completely silent
about a time frame for VPC64. One would think it would be in the form of
SP2, but I don't see it this side of the Longhorn Wave as yet.

I think that the key is the disparity between 64-bit servers already in
place and 64-bit desktops (in enterprises). We enthusiasts don't count
because we buy this stuff anyway.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, the transition from 32bit to 64bit right now will be slow because a
> lot of applications are there yet in terms of 100% compatibility. But as
> time goes by both applications and hardware will be more natively
> supported out of box, I suspect it will begin around fall to late 2005 and
> take off in 2006.
>
> Right now though, its good to know that the basics are already in place
> such as productivity software which most businesses are using a majority
> of the time. Games seem to be accepting of x64 and will get better. x64
> definitely has bright future and I almost forgot, a lot of users will make
> major transitions when apps like Virtual PC are ready.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I opted for a side-by-side setup with my old P4 machine rather than dual
>>booting, so I bought into dual core and 64-bits from the start. So far I
>>am pleased. It depends on your options for setting up a new system, but
>>if you are keeping the old one around anyway, your options are wide open.
>>I plan on taking the next six months to expand the software installation
>>base as native 64-bit options appear. I have had no problems running my
>>productivity software. Just lucky I guess. One area that almost requires
>>32-bit Windows is scanning and content creation.
>>
>> "Vikas Panchal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>

>>> I am planning to buy a new machine in a couple of days. Before shifting
>>> to AMD Athlon 64, I had few doubts in mind. Your suggestion/advice
>>> highly appreciable...
>>>

>>> Is there any hardware or software compatibility issue with AMD Athlon
>>> 64bit? Are there any problems of compatibility with existing hardware? I
>>> had PixelView PlayTV Pro TV tuner card, it has 32-bit drivers. Would it
>>> work fine? Can I install WinXP 32-bit and WinXP 64-bit both
>>> simultaneously. I hope with WinXP 32-bit everything should be fine, no
>>> issues. But, how much will be the performance gain in case of WinXP
>>> 32-bit on 64bit hardware?
>>>

>>> What things to look for while buying an AMD64 from a local
>>> assembler/reseller? How much memory should I go for, 2 GB? Is that fine
>>> or an overkill?
>>>

>>> -Regards
>>>
>>> Vikas P

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I remember reading last year I think on Microsoft-Watch that Microsoft was
planning on bring out a version 2 of Virtual PC I think in the fall of 2005.
I don't know what happened since then.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:e4yd%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Virtual Server SP1 will make it later this year, but MS is completely
> silent about a time frame for VPC64. One would think it would be in the
> form of SP2, but I don't see it this side of the Longhorn Wave as yet.
>
> I think that the key is the disparity between 64-bit servers already in
> place and 64-bit desktops (in enterprises). We enthusiasts don't count
> because we buy this stuff anyway.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, the transition from 32bit to 64bit right now will be slow because a
>> lot of applications are there yet in terms of 100% compatibility. But as
>> time goes by both applications and hardware will be more natively
>> supported out of box, I suspect it will begin around fall to late 2005
>> and take off in 2006.
>>
>> Right now though, its good to know that the basics are already in place
>> such as productivity software which most businesses are using a majority
>> of the time. Games seem to be accepting of x64 and will get better. x64
>> definitely has bright future and I almost forgot, a lot of users will
>> make major transitions when apps like Virtual PC are ready.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I opted for a side-by-side setup with my old P4 machine rather than dual
>>>booting, so I bought into dual core and 64-bits from the start. So far I
>>>am pleased. It depends on your options for setting up a new system, but
>>>if you are keeping the old one around anyway, your options are wide open.
>>>I plan on taking the next six months to expand the software installation
>>>base as native 64-bit options appear. I have had no problems running my
>>>productivity software. Just lucky I guess. One area that almost
>>>requires 32-bit Windows is scanning and content creation.
>>>
>>> "Vikas Panchal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

James Park

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1770386,00.asp

The Route64 roadmap is quite dated (Whidbey - H1 2005 for example), so I
wouldn't put too much hope into seeing VPC SP2 this half if at all.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...