Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows XP x64 compatibility with Windows 2000 Server

Windows XP x64 compatibility with Windows 2000 Server

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgTW9vcmU=?=

I was wondering if you can have Windows XP x64 workstations connected to a
Windows 2000 Server. What are the compatibility issues? We are thinking of
upgrading our CAD workstations to x64 because of memory limitations, and I
just needed to know if it would cause other issues.
--
Thank you,
Scott

M. Murcek

I've seen nothing showstopping so far, but I'm only using my Win2K server
for file, print and authentication. Haven't messed with how x64 interacts
with AD yet...

"Scott Moore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was wondering if you can have Windows XP x64 workstations connected to a
> Windows 2000 Server. What are the compatibility issues? We are thinking
> of
> upgrading our CAD workstations to x64 because of memory limitations, and I
> just needed to know if it would cause other issues.
> --
> Thank you,
> Scott

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

It should connect just fine except for possible glitches with printer
drivers.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Scott Moore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was wondering if you can have Windows XP x64 workstations connected to a
> Windows 2000 Server. What are the compatibility issues? We are thinking
> of
> upgrading our CAD workstations to x64 because of memory limitations, and I
> just needed to know if it would cause other issues.
> --
> Thank you,
> Scott

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, you most certainly can connect to a Win2k Server domain. You may have
some printer issues (but then, you could have those anyway), but if your
printers are addressable via TCP/IP, those should be fairly easily
resolvable, assuming the drivers are available.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Scott Moore wrote:
> I was wondering if you can have Windows XP x64 workstations connected
> to a Windows 2000 Server. What are the compatibility issues? We are
> thinking of upgrading our CAD workstations to x64 because of memory
> limitations, and I just needed to know if it would cause other issues.

Charlie Russel - MVP

just like any other xp pro box.

--

M. Murcek wrote:
> I've seen nothing showstopping so far, but I'm only using my Win2K
> server for file, print and authentication. Haven't messed with how
> x64 interacts with AD yet...
>
> "Scott Moore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I was wondering if you can have Windows XP x64 workstations
>> connected to a Windows 2000 Server. What are the compatibility
>> issues? We are thinking of
>> upgrading our CAD workstations to x64 because of memory limitations,
>> and I just needed to know if it would cause other issues.
>> --
>> Thank you,
>> Scott

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGggU2Nod2VyaW4=?=

We have a few x64's and dual Opterons on our 2000/2003 network and we have no
issues at all.